Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm a little disappointed to see that Snake And Crane Arts Of Shaolin (1978) hasn't been mentioned yet. Not the grandest story (men with evil ambitions seek a scroll detailing a powerful technique), but the personalities of many of the characters are incredibly charming, from the rudeness of the side-kick who basically invites herself along on the quest of the protagonist (played by Jackie Chan), to the wizened, laughing old man who fights with a tobacco pipe, and the sheer dedication to villainy displayed by the antagonists. It has a lot of near-clichés, but manages to spin them all together in a very fun way.

Also, Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu (1980) is pretty enjoyable for Jackie Chan starting to let the comedy dominate the kung fu a little more; I can't remember specific characters or fighting gimmicks, but I do remember quite a few lines that caught me by surprise with just how abruptly absurd they were (not necessarily due to odd dubbing, though that did play a part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like this is probably a dumb question, but is there any record of mild stigma being attached to the actors who regularly played Manchurian officials? Just something I've been wondering after catching up on some of the '70s Shaolin movies recently and noticing some recurring actors in those roles.