Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why Looka Thar
Apr 2, 2009

I'm Not Thar
I've been a big fan of the Zatoichi series, which follows the travels of a blind masseur named Ichi in 19th century Japan. Ichi also happens to be a legendary swordsman and ex-gangster.

Ichi is portrayed in 26 films, mostly over the 60's and early 70's, by Shintaro Katsu who consistently delivered an iconic performance of a complex and contradictory character. The action is usually quick, thrilling and oddly contemplative. The series' use of color and sound is groundbreaking and highly influential, a recent standout example being Kill Bill. In addition, what has always touched me about the films are the undercurrents of acceptance and gender eqaulity.

Most of them are available on Hulu, free of charge. I also highly recommend the 2003 homage/conclusion Zatoichi directed by and starring Takeshi Kitano (Sonatine, Takeshi's Castle or MXC to watchers of the Spike Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU