Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I love how you basically can't talk about these movies without Wu-Tang coming up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Pretty much anything with Tsui Hark involved is gonna be good times, honestly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, the key phrase there is "pretty much." He's made some kinda terrible movies, but most of the time he's on his game, and when he's on his game he kicks rear end.

e: He's also pretty much responsible for the entire heroic bloodshed genre by way of producing A Better Tomorrow and The Killer, so I give him a lot of credit that I possibly shouldn't because I'm a huge huge whore for that genre. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The best/worst thing about Master of the Flying Guillotine is... I can't do it justice with words.

It's so drat goofy and clueless that I'm honestly not sure if it's racist anymore.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't think you realized what I was pointing out there. Don't get me wrong, the movie's dope as hell and probably my favorite classic martial-arts movie I've seen so far, but god drat they just did not give a single gently caress at all about any kind of cultural sensitivity, did they?

(For bonus points, the Japanese fighter also cheats in the actual tournament.)

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 11, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I would say "hilarious" more than "revolting," honestly. :v: It's so obviously not coming from a place of hate with the Indian guy, to the point where it's honestly just really goofy.

And frankly I'm pretty okay with them making GBS threads on the Japanese given the history between Japan and China. If anyone's allowed to do it, it's them.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is it bad that I kinda like Shogun Assassin better than the actual Lone Wolf and Cub movies? Between the awesome synth score, the faster pace, and the campy English dubbing, it just appeals to me more.

Like, I know that the LWaC movies are better but for some reason I just have a lot more fun watching Shogun Assassin.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
There's a shitload of flying guillotine movies. All but maybe one are ripoffs of the one we're talking about, since if there's one thing HK cinema loves, it's bandwagons.

e: Here's a scene from the one we're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGkn8TFaySg

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Can anyone recommend some martial arts movies that are about Japanese martial arts without including samurai? I kind of like the "hard" Okinawa style on film better than flowing/soft/internal Chinese styles. That's not to say these movies don't kick rear end!

The Street Fighter is the most well-known by far. However, there's also the Masutatsu Oyama trilogy (Karate Bullfighter, Karate Bearfighter, Karate for Life), and the Sanshiro Sugata movies by Kurosawa, off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I get the impression that every movie in this genre is either absolutely perfect in every way or completely loving insane. :stare: