Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.

Barry Convex posted:

Saw the bizarre Taiwanese wuxia Wolf Devil Woman - about a woman raised by wolves who takes revenge on the sorcerer, or possibly demon, responsible for her parents' deaths, yesterday at Spectacle in Brooklyn. fight choreography is mostly cut to shreds by the rapid-fire editing scheme, and most of what remains decipherable is nothing to write home about, but that editing! rapid zooms, hyper-fast match cuts of sorts to imagery that tangentially relates to what’s currently happening, flashbacks, repeated shots, very similar shots in rapid succession, and more. Combined with the supernatural craziness, decapitations, dismemberments, impairments, and the protagonist Snowflower tossing men around with a rope, it’s a truly, memorably weird experience, even if I can't exactly call it a great entry in the genre.

the woman who plays the lead in this, Pearl Chang, was also the director (not exactly common in early '80s martial arts cinema), and she made three more films I hope to check out at some point.

I picked up the Pearl Chang collection Gold Ninja Video put out a few years ago. Her stuff is a lot of fun! She does colourful, creatively bizarre kung fu comedy like few others. Be sure to check out stuff she acted in as well, especially Fantasy Mission Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU