Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Man Dancer posted:

Wing Chun (1994)

Just saw this on Netflix streaming. What a wonderful surprise this movie was! (FYI: The poster image in Netflix is for the wrong film.)
Technically a little late for the period outlined in the OP, but of the same spirit.

Michelle Yeoh in her prime, just dominating the screen with astonishing poise and high-quality beatdowns.
Donnie Yen just starting out as a eager, young goofball.
Yuen Woo Ping directing in his 90's heydey (same year as Fist of Legend).
A really funny supporting role from Kingdom Yuen. A lot of the broad comedy in HK films tends to leave me pretty cold, but something about the performances, editing, and writing really sold the humor for me.

This movie is also gently sexy and queer as helllll. Not as totally transgressive as it could be, but pretty amazing for its time. The ending fight in has a great thematic action beat/gender double entendre that literally had me clapping.

I'm sure I'm overselling this (it is a pretty silly film), but I found it utterly charming.

P.S:. Someone wrote a scholarly monograph about the film: http://books.google.com/books?id=Ur61t2MgqAAC
My library has eBook access and I am reading it right now! It's pretty good!

Hey dude! Thank you so much for posting about this movie! Great fights, and super entertaining, but the queerness of it had my mind boggling. Of course everything gets wrapped up in a super conventional marriage plot, but there's a lot of pretty surprising subtext going on around it that was really fun to watch. That footwashing scene is so BLATANT, ha. This is definitely one of my favorites now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU