Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yay! I was looking for a thread like this. Surprised to see the legendary Jet Li's Shaolin Temple (1982) hasn't yet been mentioned (links to it are all over YouTube in various dubs/subs, watch it). This was a movie so seminal it made kids run away from home and turn up at the site of the old Shaolin Temple in China when it was released. (and still has this effect: I showed my own six year old son it, got shushed violently halfway through the movie, and as the end credits rolled he turned to me, dead-serious, and said 'Mom, I'm going to have to quit school and move to China.')

Its supposedly part of the Shaolin Trilogy, which includes Shaolin Temple 2: Kids from Shaolin (1984), an inexplicably sweet movie that has a very Judy Garland/Andy Rooney 'I've got some costumes down in the barn let's put on a show!' backstory to it in that it was completely written, choreographed and acted by Jet Li and fellow members of his Wushu academy, including the woman who would become his first wife and seriously old school, genuine, 'wires? We couldn't even afford to eat' traditional kung fu styles. Also, Jet Li sings. Really not to be missed if you love hokey old kung fu movies (and actual traditional kung fu styles, including lion dancing), and the setting is really gorgeous. It too is all over YouTube in surprisingly good quality with subs and available through Netflix via DVD only.

The third entry in the 'trilogy' (I use the term loosely because there's really no overarching unifying theme other than 'Jet Li and co do Shaolin kung fu among every other conceivable animal style on the planet') is 'Return to Shaolin Temple 3: Martials Arts of Shaolin' (1986). Released on DVD as Dragon Dynasty. The first two movies were primarily mainlander written and acted/directed. This one brought in bigshot Hong Kong director Lau Ka-leung which explains the much better quality. If you ever wanted to see Jet Li crossdress, this is your chance. Excellent fight scenes (and more lion dancing), ending is surprisingly bloody IIRC.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Run Run Shaw lived through the invention of cinema and the fall and rise and fall and rise and fall (and rise again) of China... jesus, the history that man saw. And he was apparently still lucid til near the end (retiring at 104).

quote:

Dragons Forever also features a fight between Jackie and Benny, but the fight isn't as great as in Wheels on Meals. Benny also has some hilarious make-up, designed to look "intimidating", that is anything but.
Alright, I really have to see this movie now. I could never get past the hokey beginning. I do know they named it Wheels on Meals instead of the other way around because of some superstition that movies that start with M fail at the box office (it wasn't just some simple mistranslation).

Dragons Forever is currently my favorite Jackie Chan movie, because it has all his old kung fu school brothers in it together and everyone in the drat movie is a kung fu master. Like, everyone. Seriously. Old lady walking her dog? Kung fu master. Screaming seemingly helpless damsel in distress? Kung-fu master. White guy with way too much eyeliner? Kung-fu master. Cigar-chomping skinny old bad guy? KUNG FU loving MASTER. It is awesome and insane and watching Jackie Chan pretend to be a lawyer is hilarious, as is the incredibly rampant over the top sexism and 80's hairstyles/clothing.

Another fascinating little tidbit of kung-fu movies: Lau Kar-leung is a director/actor/stuntman who is a direct descendant, kung-fu family-wise, of Wong Fei-Hung. Lau was the third child of Lau Cham (Lau Jaam, 劉湛), a martial arts master who studied Hung Gar under Lam Sai-wing, a student of Wong Fei-hung. So when he's fighting Jackie Chan (who is playing the actual Wong fei-Hung) under that train in Drunken Master II, you are witnessing the son of a student of a student of the actual physical man the star is playing.

You just don't get that in Western film, and its one of the reasons I love the genre.

Relatedly, if you want to know a little of what it was really like at that Chinese opera school, see if you can find Painted Faces with Sammo Hung (again, its a rental on DVD only through Netflix, I believe, and very hard to find. If I could get hold of a laserdisc of this I would be a very happy person. There's a very poor copy available on youtube). Its a thinly-veiled biography of their time growing up in the opera school, only the abuse has been toned down because they didn't think modern audiences would believe it. That poo poo was barbaric. Western opera is nothing like Chinese opera. There's a story in Jackie Chan's biography My Life about how Yuen Biao, one of the more naturally physically gifted students, fell asleep in a handstand after having to hold it for several hours. They would regularly be beaten with a shattered rattan/bamboo stick, which was called 'getting a serving of spicy noodles.' So if you've ever wondered why they put up with so much physical abuse and dangerous situations in his movies, its because that was pretty much all he knew since the age of five.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So it turns out Jackie Chan's dad was a secret loving agent in nationalist China and he only just found this out in 2003. Also he has two older brothers and two older sisters. So of course he promptly made a documentary about it. Its on Netflix right now, called Traces of Dragon: Jackie Chan & Lost Family and it is fascinating (of course his dad knows kung fu too, he was one of Jackie's first teachers).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 15, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They weren't kidnapped, they were basically sold into indentured servitude to an opera master (not state supported, at least not in HK) for up to ten years, after which time they were free. The contracts were pretty harsh and included signing away your rights to your kids' lives to the teacher. Literally. Like one clause was the teacher could discipline them unto death and you had to say you were ok with that as a parent/guardian. The teacher also was to keep any profits from performances in exchange for providing room and board and instruction.

Sammo was indeed Jackie Chan's 'older brother' at the same opera school, and by both accounts a bully towards him. Of course if you read Chan's biography it appears he suffered from some fairly serious ADHD as a kid and his parents just didn't know how to handle him, though they were by no means neglectful or abusive. In fact his mother used to carry bags of hot water for miles on the bus every weekend to bathe him because otherwise he'd have had to wash with cold water from the hose like the other kids. It might have partly been jealousy over this and other things (she'd bring him sweets and candy and such) that led to Sammo's being so hard on him (not that he was any easier on the other kids).

Yuen Biao was another of their classmates, and the youngest, and was so naturally skilled in acrobatics he rapidly caught up to their skill level even though he was several years younger, and once actually fell asleep in a handstand (they did them leaning against the wall, sometimes for hours).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yep. I wish I could find it on laserdisc (for less than the 50+ up they want on ebay).

Ironically enough you can find it in its entirety on YouTube, its just a very lovely VHS copy, complete with wavering frames and static and all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I just want it for the digitalness so I can transfer it to DVD :) Otherwise I'll have to wait for Sammo to have a heart attack before they re-release any of that old crap.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think he's more implying that the unique set of circumstances that led to the rise of stars like Sammo et al (e.g. the culture of Hong Kong pre-1997) no longer exists, for better or for worse.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

given that Jackie, Sammo, et al are in there playing instructors as such while child actors play themselves, I'm sure they all took lengths to accurately portray the crap they went through/inflicted upon one another
Believe it or not, they toned it down because the producers thought the reality would come across as too unbelievable. This book (while still being rather whitewashed and sanitized for the more conservative Asian audience that wants to see him as a hero) goes into quite a bit of the brutal reality in the early chapters.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo is special needs?

No, he's an arms dealer, and Jackie Chan is the world's least convincing lawyer. Also everyone is a kung fu master. EVERYONE.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah iirc a lot of those studios folded and the distribution rights/ownership are up in the air, and copyright was a pretty fast and loose thing back then as it was.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And you can find and watch it in an obviously copied from VHS format complete with pretty crappy English subtitles on youtube. I don't even think its files, there's just no way of disentangling rights to it. I mean its up on YouTube for jah's take.

The autobiography in question is called Jackie Chan: My Life and is a pretty standardly sanitized autobiography. My 8 year old loves to read the early chapters over and over again to the point the book is falling apart.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Not a classic, but an homage to the classics:

Donnie Yen has a new movie coming out Kung Fu Killers

Guess it came out in October in Hong Kong under the title Kung Fu Jungle.

quote:

Fans of Hong Kong martial arts will delight at the number of stars from past and present who litter the screen during Kung Fu Jungle. From contemporary fighting performers like Xing Yu and Fan Siu Wong, to past masters including Yuen Cheung Yan and even Lau Kar Leung (albeit on TV). But the film's desire to acknowledge and pay respect to the accomplished artists of Hong Kong Cinema extends way beyond martial artists, with everyone from Andrew Lau and Soi Cheang to Bruce Law and Derek Kwok popping up in blink-and-you'll-miss-em cameos throughout the film. And don't worry if you don't spot them all, as they are all name-checked - even those who failed to make the final cut - in the film's closing credits.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

G-III posted:

The most ridiculous example of Donnie playing too young for his age was Dragon Tiger Gate. Well... to be fair that whole movie was ridiculous.
Amazingly so. The whole movie I was like 'who is his aesthetician? What is his skincare regimen? His skin is FLAWLESS.'

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yaws posted:

What are you talking about? Is his career over or something?
iirc he went afoul of the mob and had to hide out in a monastery for awhile. I realize this sounds like a plot to a movie. I don't remember what happened after that, I think he went a little nuts, or pretended to, or something. You can read more detailed speculation here.

In Thai buddhism, lots of guys will basically go on a pilgrimage of sorts and become a monk for some period of time, from two weeks to years, as a sort of penance/sabbatical/religious obligation type thing. Its not necessary but its considered good luck and auspicious and marks you as a good person to sacrifice like that, even temporarily. You have to shave your head, wear what they give you, go out asking for food from strangers, meditate, clean the temple, etc etc.

In Tony Jaa's case I think he was kind of waiting for the heat to die down and using the monk thing as a way to do so without attracting undue speculation, which is also not exactly unheard of.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Either he pissed off some flavor of Asian mob or he pissed off his bosses in the film industry depending who you ask,
These two things are pretty much intertwined in Asia still.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Huh. Jackie Chan's putting out an autobiography in April, and actually talks frankly about poo poo like all his extramarital affairs. Far as I know the only biography of him is My Life and is pretty dated (and sanitized) so this should be interesting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean his son might be getting executed for weed, I think any hope of his image staying completely untarnished is pretty much gone so it makes sense for him to just own it and hope for the best.
They let him out in Feb. I think he'll pull through.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Ah, he got let out? I remember the buzz was he was probably gonna die when I heard about it. Still, sort of beside the point- the PR mess probably shook Jackie up a little about this stuff.
Almost nobody rich and connected in China gets actual consequences for their actions. He was definitely mightily pissed his kid got caught I'm sure, but I seriously doubt his life was ever in any danger.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

G-III posted:

If you want super powered kung fu, look no further than the Shaw Brothers' Chinese Fairy Wu Xia'ish adaptation of Superman: "Descendant of the Sun" (1983)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW9ylycrfBU
Holy gently caress this is just... is an acid flashback in film form.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What about King of Beggars? I've seen the others (minus the Cookery one above) and the kids LOVED both Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle (Qiu Yuen has got to be my favorite Hong Kong actress like, ever).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Probably the weirdest part, though, is that early in the film, the factory boss displays his martial prowess with something that happens to be at hand, a bench, lifting it with one foot, twirling it around and posing on it. Later, at the end of the film, it's made evident that this was not, in fact, an impromptu display, but rather that the bosses' gang have all mastered fighting with benches.
Is it weird or was it to show that the ruling classes' strengths were in skills you employ 'from the bench' (i.e. sitting on your rear end, like using rule of law to lord it over people, etc etc) as opposed to labor.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'll check it out. It's on my Netflix list anyway.

I would watch a movie about a kickass lady Kung-Fu master who is both dangerous and as clinically ditzy as Lucille Ball, because that sounds hilarious and a good setup for both action and slapstick/physical comedy.
Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow kind of fits that bill ( Yuen Qiu), some scary parts but its pretty comic booky for the most part, lots of CG. Also Shaolin Kung Fu to a lesser extent.

Also my kids loved Kids from Shaolin (which you can find on Youtube) and features little girls of all ages doing some kickass kung fu (all the actors were members of Jet Li's wushu school so its all legit, too). I would third Supercop 3 with Michelle Yeoh. I'm wondering if any of the Cynthia Rothrock movies might be appropriate (Millionaire's Express?) Raging Phoenix maybe (haven't seen it but its typical martial arts violence).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Wait, Kids from Shaolin? I've never heard of it, but that sounds right up her alley. She's six, but she watches Batman (both Brave and Bold and the old B:tAM), the new TMNT cartoon, and the Powerpuff Girls. She's also into Squirrel Girl and Teen Titans, so it's not like she's never seen a comic-booky fight before.
Yep, six was the same age my oldest was when he watched it. And you've never heard of it because its not really well known. It was Jet Li's second movie (first being the Shaolin Temple one that everybody and their brother knows). The others (except maybe Shaolin Soccer) might be a bit too intense for her though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man Dancer posted:

:
+Stars Jonathan Ke Quan, of Goonies and Temple of Doom fame (who is a shockingly decent onscreen fighter and stunt performer)
He'd better not be shockingly good, its his job:

wikipedia posted:

Having studied Taekwondo under Philip Tan on the set of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, he later trained under Tao-liang Tan.[4] He worked as a stunt choreographer for X-Men[5] and The One as the assistant of renowned Hong Kong fight choreographer Corey Yuen.[3]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You are missing Dragons Forever, last movie with Yuen Biao, Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, also features fight with Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez at the end that is NOT to be missed. Classic Jackie stunts that make you go 'fuckin OW that was awesome but GODDAMN' The plot is laughable (Jackie Chan plays a lawyer) but the action is fun as hell and almost non stop.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lobok posted:

And since the credits were done at the beginning of the film the movie is really and truly over right then and there. Lights up, everybody leave. Kind of felt like there was supposed to be no pretense. Here's a bad guy, and now he's done. What more do you want?

Funny to think about the reverse of this. Someone who grew up used to the abrupt endings of kung fu movies and then watching other movies. The bad guy is defeated, the viewer gets up to leave but there's still more movie. Just a string of silent what-the-gently caress's over the next fifteen minutes.

Oh god that would make every movie like ROTK. Those poor poor people.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Remulak posted:

I’ve been told that the incredible stunt work on late 20th-century Hong Kong was an interesting side effect of free high quality health care.

Somebody gets busted on-set they don’t care, they get free healin’ and are back to work a few days/months later.

Please don’t fact-check me.

More like an interesting side effect of the last gasp of traditional Chinese opera resulting in a bunch of classically (read: horrifically abused) trained young men with certain... unique skills and a terrible eating habit being desperate for any work they could get.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo plays Jackie's developmentally disabled brother?

It’s the one where Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao star together for the last time. Chan is a lawyer, Biao is some kind of mentally disturbed criminal and Hung is an arms dealer. They’re friends of Chan’s character who he recruits to try to smear the fishery owner suing a chemical plant that’s polluting the water where they fish (the chemical plant retains him to do this). Eventually they discover the chemical plant is a front for drug traffickers and turn on them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Right, and one of them fights a squirrelly guy with a cigar and glasses at the end, right? And he slides down a railing in an evil fashion.

It seemed like everybody in that movie was secretly a Kung fu master. (The squirrelly guy was Yuen Wah, who was Bruce Lee’s stunt double and also a member of the Chinese Opera School the Big Three attended).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah but Buddhist swastika goes in the opposite direction of Nazi ones.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A giant has fallen :(

Jimmy Wang Yu of One-Armed Swordsman and Chinese Boxer fame, among other great films, died today.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

drat, I think he was poorly for awhile:

RIP to a real bastard and a real legend

Yeah he had a stroke, was pretty much paralyzed on his left side, did something like 4x the physical therapy they gave him, and got full use back though it was never as strong according to some obit or other I read.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Artelier posted:

Want to ask, how do you guys feel about hitting the gym to practice martial arts? I did boxing a little bit just before the pandemic hit, and now I just feel so anxious to go back to my gym. Not sure if my fears of maybe getting covid in gyms are overblown or if playing it safe is the right call. My family in particular is immunocompromised so I've been very conservative about activities.

Right now, I think I wanna start again but maybe keep my mask on and distance myself as much as I can in class (unless we have like partner drills or something like that) and pass on any sparring sessions. Not sure if that's realistic.

Our martial arts teacher taught outdoors and when they couldn't be out made everyone wear masks, said it was good resistance training, heh. But he's hardcore. Try and find a place like that?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

How did you watch it? Like is there a cost effective(free) way to watch these hong kong classics that aren't :filez:?

A surprising amount are on YouTube due to murky copyright.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Funny question but I remember a weapon referred to as "capital chopper" or something like that but I can't remember what movie or weapon it was.

Pu Dao (horse chopper?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Just want to confirm this movie owns

Man I remember when you could only get stuff like this on poorly copied VHS in plastic cases with homemade labels at conventions.