Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I grew up with a UHF station showing a mix of Shaw Brothers and Gamera movies on Saturday afternoon in my town (Miami TV39 :whatup: ) and so I've always loved chop-sockey action.

Recently, I got a chance to show Master of the Flying Guillotine to some friends, who all loved it, but I was taken aback by how bad it looked on DVD. Growing up, it was just accepted that OTA broadcast looked bad (especially on our ancient 80s TVs), but no I guess the movies were just filmed on that grainy a stock, with very little attention paid to focusing on a particular depth of field.

Has there ever been any attempt to salvage these films, or are the only copies fifth-generation garbage prints?

I'm really glad Stephen Chow and Donnie Yen are still making movies because Iron Monkey and Kung-Fu Hustle are much better shot and presented compared to the old Shaw films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I love how you basically can't talk about these movies without Wu-Tang coming up at some point.

would this then be the appropriate thread to bemoan how bad Man with the Iron Fists turned out then?