Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Are those dummy thicc rings or a super tiny piston?

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a 50cc, so the piston is tiny, but it’s a bit of both.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cheap chinese piston kits for all those sorts of bikes come with much, much thinner rings that are there for a good time, not a long one. The factory designs are more or less built 'safe', the rings are big and meaty so there's more area for heat to transfer out of the piston and into the bore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A guy in a Hyundai Elantra N tried to race me today. :jerkbag:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Mmm...a friend rode my kayo dirtbike bike now he wants one.
There's a 2022 on FB marketplace with "damaged brakes"

Originally 1700, then fell to 1000 after a week.

The kayo tt140 is msrp $2000, $2700 after shipping and assembly and other dealer stuff here
I see them list for 1800 on occasion, used.

I went to go look at it for my buddy....got it up on stands..

Cut brakeline, no rear caliper, bone dry rear master

Rear rotor hitting swingarm, cardboard where the wheel spacer should be

Idk, spot rust on exhaust, missing rear wheel spokes, front wheel out of true maybe 1mm just at a glance on stands against the calipers.

I don't know how to value the bike.
For $900, if I loved chinese bikes and didn't have it already....maybe.
I genuinely think it is worth 500, or maybe nothing.

My friend isn't going to spend 1k on it.

The dude doesn't want less than $900. I mean I get it.

Why the gently caress did someone do this to the bike :(
It makes me sad.

I paid retail because I am dumb, but also I will take care of it and I know my bike didn't come hosed.

I can visually see it already needs around 500 in parts. At minimum a wheel, rear caliper...the swingarm thing would annoy me if I don't replace it. Plus its probably hosed anyway. The front wheel I would take to a shop to true up. It might need a new rear master...probably not.

Did they change the oil? Probably not.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 14, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And nothing of value was lost

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

And nothing of value was lost

A moment of silence, comrade :china:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
edit: Actually, this goes in a different thread. Moving it there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I slept in a hotel last night instead of camping a third night. I was kind of disappointed in myself, but I can also justify it to myself - it was getting towards the evening and deer-o'clock by the time I made the decision, it'd be another hour to the next site, and I'd been rained on in the cold all day, so I didn't want to push myself and get fatigued (or start today still fatigued). Because fatigue kills motorcyclists.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

I slept in a hotel last night instead of camping a third night. I was kind of disappointed in myself, but I can also justify it to myself - it was getting towards the evening and deer-o'clock by the time I made the decision, it'd be another hour to the next site, and I'd been rained on in the cold all day, so I didn't want to push myself and get fatigued (or start today still fatigued). Because fatigue kills motorcyclists.

Nothing wrong at all with mixing it up and grabbing a hotel here and there when touring. Camping is a fine way to save some money and maybe do outdoorsy stuff, but it's OK for you to treat yourself to a decent hot shower, and maybe a swim in the pool or soak in the hot tub if it's available.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Phy posted:

You made a good call.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good decision making.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Those days suck. Solid call, you’ll be able to get back at it tomorrow refreshed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I first started learning to fly, I had a week off during spring break and scheduled several lessons. It was rainy and foggy with like two mile visibility and 1000 foot ceilings the whole time so the flying portion of every lesson got canceled.

I was bummed out. But after the third cancellation the friendly chief of the flight school said to me "we have a saying: it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around."

I've noticed a lot of similarities between flying and motorcycling over the years, and I think the sentiment behind that saying is a good one to keep in mind.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah I’ve gotten pretty hardcore about moto-camping but I still treat myself to a hotel now and then.

You’re presumably out there for a good time, no need to suffer if you’re not feeling it.

Sagebrush posted:

When I first started learning to fly,
Motorcycling made me give up on learning to fly, I’ve done so much stupid get-there-itis decision making on two wheels that would have killed me in a plane.

So I recognized that in myself and decided not to get into piloting.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2023

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

Motorcycling made me give up on learning to fly, I’ve done so much stupid get-there-itis decision making on two wheels that would have killed me in a plane.

So I recognized that in myself and decided not to get into piloting.

poo poo. I’ve wanted a pilots license for a while but that’s such an insanely good point I hadn’t considered that I should maybe hold off.

I like to think I’m a pretty safe rider but there’s certainly been instances where I’ve said “well that was dumb but it worked out.. I’ll just never do that again.” Narrower margin for error in a plane.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is just my barely informed opinion having done each activity at least once:
Ppl : scuba diving :: gliding : snorkeling
With piloting, there's just a whole lot of logbooking and flight plan filing, pre flight checks, post flight checks, checklists etc, etc. For some people that's half the fun, for others, that would suck any fun out of the other half which is the actual flying. Same goes for scuba. Some people love to be organized and track things.
What's cool about motorcycling is that it can be done just as easily from both approaches. If you're an extremely particular, task oriented spreadsheet maker, you can get off meticulously tracking your maintenance and doing detailed route planning, and if you aren't, you can just check your tires aren't flat and hit the road with a vague destination in mind. Both people will have just as much fun once they're riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo if you decide piloting is not for you because you're worried about your impulse control, you are probably ideally suited to piloting and may well already be a Honda owner

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Imo if you decide piloting is not for you because you're worried about your impulse control, you are probably ideally suited to piloting and may well already be a Honda owner

Is this the "Those best suited to wield power are those least likely to seek it" for poo poo What Goes Fast?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That’s some catch, that Catch-22.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I already have the pilot jets! Checkmate injectionailures! :smugdog:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I pilot jets but have no pilot jets, because I want my bike to start when press the starter button.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a properly set up carburetor will start every time. and it works without electricity and the response is smooooooooooooooooth

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cv carbs are the world's earliest rider aid, they are an automatic, fully mechanical way of doing a job that requires secondary throttle butterflies, variable intake geometry, fly by wire fuckery etc to achieve on efi bikes

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Tough crowd!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Carburetors are like learning long division because you aren't always going to have a calculator in your pocket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think it's more like knowing how to read a map because you won't always have gps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Once set up and clean, carbs are amazing things. Pay someone to do that every 5 years and you're good.

However, you have to have a bit of finesse with them. A bit, not a whole lot. Just get a feel for when your bike starts easiest at X temperature, resulting in Y choke and or X throttle. So far the only really sucky thing i've experienced is carb freezing. I'll ask the shop if they have the heater cartridges for me so i can mount those because it's a solved issue, just one that people often try to save money on, because many don't ride in winter.