Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Spiffness posted:

poo poo whats this now? They changing ferry policies?

Nah I'm moving and won't be using the ferry.

E: I should've said "That won't matter to me after Friday."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Z3n posted:

Commuting is only worth a poo poo if you can lane split. Otherwise? Eff that.

We have a HOT lane which exempts motorcycles. 20 minute vs 40+ minute commute. Worth it IMO.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Commuting is only worth a poo poo if you can lane split. Otherwise? Eff that.

Pff. The Buell costs about half as much to run as the Mustang on both the maintenance (granted, I pay somebody wrench on the car) and fuel calculations. It takes the same amount of time on my reverse City-Country-City commute but the savings is generally worth it.

Speaking of which, why the hell did I drive today?

Like Spiffness, I do feel pressure to transition away from street riding; the State Patrol, whose mission is apparently to be revenue-positive, will find any opportunity to write a bogus ticket to a motorcyclist (cha-ching!) and it's becoming time consuming to defend myself.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2013

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I agree with wall of text man, commuting is for the birds unless you can lane split and/or don't give a gently caress about johnny law. I hate being a semi grown up with liquor licenses in my home state, if I gently caress around too much I would lose those. I want to go back to being a hoodrat :snoop:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
If I weren't riding, my commute would easily be double length in Seattle. The HOV makes a huuuuuge difference. Really wish I could lane split without getting paranoid about the police though.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Living in Wisconsin, I basically never lane split. I think if I did someone would take it upon themselves to do the lord's work and run me down in a loving truck. I do enjoy sidewalks and grass though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I miss Marv.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I miss Marv.

What happened to that guy anyways? He was a cool dude.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

vibrations numb the need to poo poo and, while tempting, attempting flatulence at post-hundred speeds should be strongly advised against due to postural similarities between riding a motorcycle and explosive defecation

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Really who doesn't want to do a triple digit cropdust though.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Xovaan posted:

I hate SoCal.
I wanna sell my bike and get a sumo because I don't think I've taken it above 50mph since I've been down here.
SoCal. :argh:

Right there with you. I want to get a Sumo or Monster for commuting as well. As much as I really want a pure sportbike I really only use my motorcycle to lanesplit down PCH to school a couple rush hours a week, and a couple of blocks to work.

On that topic; growing up in California I think it's crazy this state is the only one to allow lane sharing, considering all the left-wingers ruining everything. I would never ride in traffic if I had to sit behind cars and wait to get Oreo cookie'd.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have almost made this thread so many times.

I hate car drivers around here so loving much. I was thinking they kept drifting into my lane as some passive-aggressive resentment for me passing them. Took the car out the other day, and I was still seeing them do it, and now my theory is they don't hold the wheel straight while texting.

Seriously I sat on the side of the road near a busy intersection and just watched as car after car let a multiple-carlength gap open up in front, with dozens of cars behind, because the driver didn't look up from their phone

Get off the loving phones

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Snowdens Secret posted:

I hate car drivers around here so loving much. I was thinking they kept drifting into my lane as some passive-aggressive resentment for me passing them. Took the car out the other day, and I was still seeing them do it, and now my theory is they don't hold the wheel straight while texting.

Seriously I sat on the side of the road near a busy intersection and just watched as car after car let a multiple-carlength gap open up in front, with dozens of cars behind, because the driver didn't look up from their phone

It used to be better when they were just talking on them, 'cause you could rev out to 9k and make speech impossible in any but the most heavily-insulated luxo-barge. Texters not only don't care, but seem not to even be capable of noticing.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Quite A Tool posted:

Really who doesn't want to do a triple digit cropdust though.

Just remember, while wearing full leathers, you will only cropdust yourself. At the next stop light, no matter how far away it is.

edit: Hasn't stopped me from trying, though...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Flint Ironstag posted:

Just remember, while wearing full leathers, you will only cropdust yourself. At the next stop light, no matter how far away it is.

edit: Hasn't stopped me from trying, though...

I could make a fortune selling leathers with a little perforated rear end patch.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I don't think so. Over time those naturally develop anyway. Though I said the same thing before pre-worn jeans became a billion dollar idea.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had some jackass this morning decide he really didn't want to turn left and just crowded me out of my lane. I hate these loving texting and web surfing motherfuckers so much. Drive your drat car. Is it really essential that you tell Suzy McPherson in marketing that the Six Sigma quality team won't be able to make the meeting on Thursday right the gently caress now?

VVV There should be a corporate stupidity rant thread somewhere.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 26, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
gently caress six sigma, gently caress six sigma projects, gently caress six sigma metrics, and gently caress six sigma trainers

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I've not ridden my bike in several weeks now, thanks to a combination of working away, wedding plan and generally having poo poo to do. It's genuinely getting me down and while my riding friends 'get it', even my wonderfully understanding wife to be doesn't understand why I keep recommending we ride to random appointments and how much I want to get out for a proper full day ride :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can I complain about the hematoma on my leg? It's terrible. It hurts to put my leg in my boot and I only got the drat thing from repeatedly jamming the peg feeler into the side of my leg and shredding the hell out of what little tissue is there between the skin and the bone. I either need shorter boots (in the short term) or taller boots (in the long term) to ride comfortably with it.

I'm trying to change my habits by coming to a stop on my left leg, with the right still on the peg, but I still can't seem to paddle around tight spots (the Uly has the world's worst lock-to-lock steering range) without repeatedly hitting my leg on it.

I'm thinking I might need to shave the feeler down or affix some sort of pad to it to mitigate my retarded handicap. Old person problems (I'm too young for this poo poo).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are the feelers not screwed in? Ever bike I've owned with feelers had them screwed in, so you could pop new ones in when they got ground down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nope, it's just a part of the peg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I'm hearing you need some new pegs with removable feelers.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Possibly no feelers!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Nitramster posted:

Right there with you. I want to get a Sumo or Monster for commuting as well. As much as I really want a pure sportbike I really only use my motorcycle to lanesplit down PCH to school a couple rush hours a week, and a couple of blocks to work.

On that topic; growing up in California I think it's crazy this state is the only one to allow lane sharing, considering all the left-wingers ruining everything. I would never ride in traffic if I had to sit behind cars and wait to get Oreo cookie'd.

Do cops in America really ticket you if they see you lane filtering/splitting safely? It's a legal grey-area (read: probably illegal) in Australia, but you're only ever going to get booked if you're riding like a fuckwit. Cops aren't interested in prosecuting sensible use of a motorcycle.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Do cops in America really ticket you if they see you lane filtering/splitting safely? It's a legal grey-area (read: probably illegal) in Australia, but you're only ever going to get booked if you're riding like a fuckwit. Cops aren't interested in prosecuting sensible use of a motorcycle.

Yes. I've gotten pulled over for it before (though thankfully no tickets yet). It's illegal in every U.S. state but California where it's not illegal, but not specifically legal.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Cops turning a blind eye to blatant traffic violations is almost never going to happen, at least in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Plus ticketing motorists is more about generating revenue rather than road safety.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MoraleHazard posted:

Yes. I've gotten pulled over for it before (though thankfully no tickets yet). It's illegal in every U.S. state but California where it's not illegal, but not specifically legal.

CA explicitly legalized lane splitting about a year ago.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nitramster posted:

I fail to see the connection here. All of Europe is run by what I'm sure from your prespective are extreme left-wingers, and lane splitting and filtering is legal in most of it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've heard of people getting ticketed for crossing the double yellows between the HOV lanes and the passing lane but other than that I don't think the CHP really cares.
I did have one officer call me a dumbass when I got clipped by a BMW when lane splitting between the two rightmost lanes in the dark and in the rain.
To be fair, he was correct. He also convinced the lady who was trying to share the same place in space/time not to file a report so I didn't have to deal with insurance crap.
EDIT: I got away with a broken turn signal, slightly rashed up clothes and a bit of a sore shoulder. My GS decided to absolutely destroy the fender and door on her Z4 however. No idea how so little damage happened to me and my bike but her car looked like it was t-boned by something moving at a good clip.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitramster posted:

lol why would anyones political leanings have an effect on whether or not they like lane splitting?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
LIBERALISM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If anything you'd think lefties would like lane splitting. Less vehicles idling in traffic = Less pollution.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Related topic, we bought a used brake caliper on eBay recently and one of these came in the box with it. Somewhere on it, it says "abortion stops a beating heart". The shipment came from Texas.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 10, 2013

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
My left winger comment was mostly about all the fun poo poo we can't do or don't have out here because of left wingers. IE: Ridiculous gun laws, severe noise on motor vehicle restrictions (I got a warning for riding by the coastline in Redondo beach very casually, under the 25mph limit, because my bike was "too loud", it's a stock VFR750 with a 2bro's slip on muffler, not loud at all), our overly treated fuels, can't get over 91 octane (although I'm not sure how much politics have to do with that or just consumer demand).

Please don't turn this thread into a political debate, because I wasn't talking about anybody but the loud 1% that ruin my fun. It's just an observation that other very blue states don't allow it but Cali does, that's all.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I always figured lane splitting and emissions were both direct results of LA traffic. When you have 2 hour commutes, a blanket of smog, and you can't afford better infrastructure you start passing whatever might help.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I assumed it had something to do with Cali building their lanes wider since almost all their roads are newer than everywhere else. Here in New England where every street is some converted 200-year old horsepath there'd usually not be room for filtering regardless of the law.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
^ it's all of the above, but the fuel additives are mostly for air quality, which has vastly improved from the 70's.

Is the the rant chamber or the debate chamber? Because I was ranting, not logically thinking about every thing I was saying and putting it towards a 1st post in a megathread.

One more thing I need to rant about: Prius Drivers. They are bad. They are REALLY bad within 200 yards of a motorcycle. I drove a relatives last weekend and now I fully understand why, everything about that car seperates you from the road. It's got blind spots. The massive front window really makes it seem like you're watching tv of things moving, and you have no idea where your car ends. The wheel has absolutely no feel to it, and the first 1/8th of a turn does more than the next 1/8th, so it really darts into lanes. The gas pedal has no feel, and has a noticable lag before the engine turns on so there is no real "oh poo poo I need to get through this intersection" ability. The brake pedal on the other hand is like the steering, press a little and it's ON. Add all this together with a lane splitter (me) coming along side and a driver that might coolly move over to the left in the lane a bit ends up darting too far, then over correcting right back at the motorcyclist. Prius drivers that need to make a right turn from a driveway into traffic have a long front end that they can't really see to contend with as well, making everyone else have to adapt to them, and leaving motorcyclists (me) wondering why the gently caress my tunnel is clogged and car roofs are pointing in non-parrallel directions. Was there an accident? No there's just a prius stuck between 3 lanes of stopped cars at a 45 degree angle.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nitramster posted:

^ it's all of the above, but the fuel additives are mostly for air quality, which has vastly improved from the 70's.

Is the the rant chamber or the debate chamber? Because I was ranting, not logically thinking about every thing I was saying and putting it towards a 1st post in a megathread.

One more thing I need to rant about : Prius Drivers. They are bad. They are REALLY bad within 200 yards of a motorcycle. I drove a relatives last weekend and now I fully understand why, everything about that car seperates you from the road. It's got blind spots. The massive front window really makes it seem like you're watching tv of things moving, and you have no idea where your car ends. The wheel has absolutely no feel to it, and the first 1/8th of a turn does more than the next 1/8th, so it really darts into lanes. The gas pedal has no feel, and has a noticable lag before the engine turns on so there is no real "oh poo poo I need to get through this intersection" ability. The brake pedal on the other hand is like the steering, press a little and it's ON. Add all this together with a lane splitter (me) coming along side and a driver that might coolly move over to the left in the lane a bit ends up darting too far, then over correcting right back at the motorcyclist. Prius drivers that need to make a right turn from a driveway into traffic have a long front end that they can't really see to contend with as well, making everyone else have to adapt to them, and leaving motorcyclists (me) wondering why the gently caress my tunnel is clogged and car roofs are pointing in non-parrallel directions. Was there an accident? No there's just a prius stuck between 3 lanes of stopped cars at a 45 degree angle.

Prius drivers are bad, but I don't think anyone beats PT Cruiser drivers as far as being able to assume someone is a totally brainless cockwagger because they are behind the wheel of one. If there's any car where I can just guess that the driver will be a woman doing her makeup while checking facebook on her motherfucking iPad, it's a PT God drat Cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

it's a PT God drat Cruiser.

They seem to attract seriously oblivious old people too.