Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

LimaBiker posted:

I had to read it multiple times before understanding what they meant with forgiveness event. My mind first went to student debt forgiveness. Then maybe some tax thing. Then i read the 'trade up from X' thing and it finally dawned on me.

It's forgiveness for not riding a Real (TM) Bike, obviously. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I wonder what acrobatics they’ll go through to resell those gross non Harley trade-ins under a different front.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I wonder what acrobatics they’ll go through to resell those gross non Harley trade-ins under a different front.

From the look of the ad, I doubt they thought that far ahead.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 18, 2023

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if they actually expect anyone to take the offer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

I wonder if they actually expect anyone to take the offer.

Everyone who did the sensible thing and bought a sensible learner bike and has been ridden about being a gay sissy gayboy on his girl bike for sissy gays by his meathead Harley owning friends since he got it.
So quite a few, probably.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

Idk how it works in the states specifically but usually they either auction them online on a private listing website or flog them off to a wholesaler for slightly more than the trade in value

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Every thing about the 120%, from the font, to the spacing, to the kerning, to the fact that they even managed to lop off the top and bottom of the zero disgusts me to my very core.

It makes me feel like they're going to say "no, that's |20 not 120"

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Isn’t there multiple people here who have endured store wide mandated “celebrations” when they bought their REAL AMERICAN HOG (tm)?

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
I'm sure there are just great Harley dealerships, but their culture of what is and isn't a real bike is crazy. I saw a "how to select your Harley" video where a salesman was saying the Sportster's a good beginner bike until you're ready to upgrade to one that's more comfortable at cruising speeds. It's a 1200cc bike that weighs over 500 pounds, if that can't handle the freeway then they need to reevaluate some engineering decisions.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Supradog posted:

Isn’t there multiple people here who have endured store wide mandated “celebrations” when they bought their REAL AMERICAN HOG (tm)?

I've had to do it twice now. Not a Harley dealership either time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Revolting

Yeah. Their marketing and owners i know personally are bad enough that I'll never consider one regardless of what the machines themselves are like. A 43-year old newcomer is probably who they should be trying to get their hooks into, too!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I want to like Harleys and they keep pushing me away.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Llewellyn posted:

I'm sure there are just great Harley dealerships, but their culture of what is and isn't a real bike is crazy. I saw a "how to select your Harley" video where a salesman was saying the Sportster's a good beginner bike until you're ready to upgrade to one that's more comfortable at cruising speeds. It's a 1200cc bike that weighs over 500 pounds, if that can't handle the freeway then they need to reevaluate some engineering decisions.

To be fair, it’s a 1200cc that makes less power than an SV650, but yeah, their lineup is based around upgrading to the next best thing.

To your point though, no one complains about the SV’s ability to do highway speeds

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol the sportster 1200 makes like 90hp dude

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

It makes me feel like they're going to say "no, that's |20 not 120"

WORKS ON CONTINGENCY?
NO, MONEY DOWN!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've had to do it twice now. Not a Harley dealership either time

You never have to do it. You can politely decline, like most things in life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Everyone who did the sensible thing and bought a sensible learner bike and has been ridden about being a gay sissy gayboy on his girl bike for sissy gays by his meathead Harley owning friends since he got it.
So quite a few, probably.

when i first started learning to ride i went to the only motorcycle dealership in town, which was a combined harley/honda joint, and said i was interested in the CBR250

the salesman made a vaguely disgusted look and said "that's a girl's bike. you'll get bored with it quick. let me show you the 600s."

i bought my helmet there but never went back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Lol the sportster 1200 makes like 90hp dude

Not according to google? But I suppose it could have given me the horsepower of an older model

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha 68hp that's incredible

Or 59?

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 19, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That is a nice fat flat torque curve, goddamn

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Looking at the torque curve, the reason's obvious. Engine extremes are either high-torque, low-rpm stump-pullers, or screamers designed to balance themselves out later in the rev range, at high-rpm.

Torque is how hard the crankshaft will pull your arm off grabbing onto it; horsepower is how many arms over a certain period of time.

Only thing I notice about that chart, is that Sportsters might be a little boring with such a linear torque curve (compared to Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde two strokes (RIP)).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slide Hammer posted:

might be a little boring with such a linear torque curve.

"Predictable power delivery"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer posted:

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde two strokes (RIP).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:laffo::awesome:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s about time this subforum got back to its roots: talking about the raw gay horsepower of a motorcycle(‘s dyno chart)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if talking about raw gay horsepower is CA's peanut butter, bashing HD is the jelly

nothing wrong with Harleys per se; like most other things in life it's the people that suck

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Aahaha 68hp that's incredible

Or 59?

68 at the wheel is about 80 at the crank, substantially more than an sv650

There are different grades of sporty 1200, the twin spark 's' model is pretty fast, the xr1200 is actually fast

The 883 makes like 50 though and they're pretty slow

Slide Hammer posted:

Looking at the torque curve, the reason's obvious. Engine extremes are either high-torque, low-rpm stump-pullers, or screamers designed to balance themselves out later in the rev range, at high-rpm.

Torque is how hard the crankshaft will pull your arm off grabbing onto it; horsepower is how many arms over a certain period of time.

Only thing I notice about that chart, is that Sportsters might be a little boring with such a linear torque curve (compared to Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde two strokes (RIP)).

It's actually super fun because you can do sweet burnouts and slides everywhere

Jazzzzz posted:

if talking about raw gay horsepower is CA's peanut butter, bashing HD is the jelly

nothing wrong with Harleys per se; like most other things in life it's the people that suck

Some of those people are on this forum even

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah everything I’ve seen indicates the Sportsters are fun and reasonably fast (not relative to displacement but that’s not the point) bikes, which is why it’s so odd for it to be accepted wisdom in Harley Facebook groups that it’s a chick bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's similar to saying you would rather have a cbr600 than a 916 because it makes so much more power for it's displacement. Same type of nonsense as the Harley girl bike nonsense, but in the other direction, by people who think they're very smart.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The more you ride, the more bikes you ride, the more you realize that dyno numbers and spec sheets are useless for conveying how something feels to ride, and how it makes you feel riding it. "You can't quantify feels!" I hear the engineers shouting. Shove it up your rear end and measure how deep it goes then.
It's the kind of thing that damned some amazing naked naked bikes for being "detuned" compared to their min-maxed chase-the-numbers race bike counterparts. I'd rather have a bike that someone thought about what it's like to actually ride rather than "our bike make biggest number!"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I wish I could snap my fingers and shrink 6 inches so my Roadster was comfortable because the Sportster platform is so loving good but it’s not great at the kind of light to moderate touring I’m obviously inclined to do. At least not at 6’2” with a hatred for forward controls.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lately, I've been taking the Monkey to work more often than not. It's a hoot to ride, even if it's slower.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup, bikes are very much more than the sum of their parts. In racing, a confidence inspiring bike with modest power is worth more lap time than a theoretically fast bike that rides like poo poo. The conflict between engineers convinced something should be fast and people who know what they're doing is as old as racing itself; even today the same drama plays out and it seems that no amount of data gathering and number crunching can square the circle. Imo this is because bikes don't ride themselves and the actual dynamics of the system as a whole lie in the interaction between the meat sack and the machine.

Harleys are like that except their purpose is to be fun as hell rather than go as fast as possible, they just have a really good meat interaction that you can't see on paper.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure the reason my close friend and riding buddy hasn't taken me up on repeated offers to let him ride the Triumph T120 is he's unwilling to let me ride his Lowrider S for fear I'll drop it. Yeah I've crashed here and there but his fears are unfounded and I wanna test that good meat interaction.

My uncle's mystery (to me) Harleys were just loud grumbly pieces of poo poo and I didn't see the fun, but said friend knows his bikes so I have high hopes. Dammit dude it's time to bike swap :argh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason my close friend and riding buddy hasn't taken me up on repeated offers to let him ride the Triumph T120 is he's unwilling to let me ride his Lowrider S for fear I'll drop it. Yeah I've crashed here and there but his fears are unfounded and I wanna test that good meat interaction.

My uncle's mystery (to me) Harleys were just loud grumbly pieces of poo poo and I didn't see the fun, but said friend knows his bikes so I have high hopes. Dammit dude it's time to bike swap :argh:

Both ride this and call it a day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Rant Zone: good meat interaction

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You aren't missing much tbh

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I suppose it might be an eye of the beholder thing, I should probably brace myself to be underwhelmed when I ride it. He's all googly eyed over this one, and apparently he'd always wanted a Harley despite owning a dozen or two bikes over the years. He's a capable rider who's ridden mostly Japanese sportbikes and standards, before this his favorite was a VFR around '02 or maybe the superhawk before that, he gets how a bike's supposed to steer, so I figured there must be something to this bike.

Toe Rag posted:

Both ride this and call it a day.

See I don't know my bikes or heritage or anything so what I see here is the overly heavy Globe commuter bike I won in a raffle and put a springy brooks saddle on, just a terribly exhausting bicycle to operate, but this has a motor and burns my ankle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I suppose it might be an eye of the beholder thing, I should probably brace myself to be underwhelmed when I ride it. He's all googly eyed over this one, and apparently he'd always wanted a Harley despite owning a dozen or two bikes over the years. He's a capable rider who's ridden mostly Japanese sportbikes and standards, before this his favorite was a VFR around '02 or maybe the superhawk before that, he gets how a bike's supposed to steer, so I figured there must be something to this bike.

See I don't know my bikes or heritage or anything so what I see here is the overly heavy Globe commuter bike I won in a raffle and put a springy brooks saddle on, just a terribly exhausting bicycle to operate, but this has a motor and burns my ankle.

I knew a guy who similarly had ridden so many bikes, and fast bikes, through the years. When I met him, he had a Hayabusa - not stretched or anything -, but he always slagged off Harleys. One day he figured you know what, maybe I ought to give them a try. Next thing you know he's sold his Hayabusa and bought one, and is like "I didnt want one until I rode this one, and I love it". I don't know what model it was. rear end Glide or rear end King or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’m a diehard sport(ish) bike guy but I 1000% get where that comes from. I test rode a couple Harleys in my hunt for a new bike before i got the Monster and I absolutely loved it, just big dumb and lazy which is sometimes really nice. If the prices weren’t prohibitive I may very well have ended up with one, and I’m still on the hunt for a Sportster for an around town bike.

They need to get with the times with many things, but the turn signals drive me crazy more than anything.