Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hermand posted:

I wish the uk would just drop CBTs altogether. I don't mind scooters in principle but untrained 16 and 17 year olds (and sometimes older, of course) are a menace.

They're not as much of an issue because it's hard for them to get insurance, these are 30/40somethings who don't have to take a CBT to ride a moped and are using it to commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can't find it on youtube, but there is a video talking about visibility when a car is at an intersection waiting to turn onto a road. They showed that if the background is moving behind the car they will probably see you, but if the background isn't moving (this depends on your angle of approach) the car will have less of a chance seeing you. That is when it makes sense to flick your highbeam or swerve slightly in your lane.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Sounds like the SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You) video.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

n8r posted:

Can't find it on youtube, but there is a video talking about visibility when a car is at an intersection waiting to turn onto a road. They showed that if the background is moving behind the car they will probably see you, but if the background isn't moving (this depends on your angle of approach) the car will have less of a chance seeing you. That is when it makes sense to flick your highbeam or swerve slightly in your lane.

Don't flick your highbeams they might take it as "hey go ahead".

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not as much of an issue because it's hard for them to get insurance, these are 30/40somethings who don't have to take a CBT to ride a moped and are using it to commute.

In fairness, I'm on a CBT, my bike's parked on a public road in Glasgow - £600 TPFT my first year (literally got bike, CBT, and insurance the same day) and it went down to £400 the second year. After an at-fault accident. At ~20.

I hate those tools though. There's one that "rides" up my way, and you can tell he spends more time waxing his Vespa knock-off than he does riding it. Dickhead gives a look like I just slapped his child if I acknowledge him in any way. Watching them filter is fun (if you're not in a hurry)- not sure where their odd holding legs out instinct comes from but it's funny seeing them snap the legs in-and-out every time they go past something wider than a Micra.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The scooter kids do the legs-out thing round here too, especially in the wet. Sometimes their shoe catches on the ground and it knocks them upright or into a mini tank slapper, its cute.

Speaking of, the local schools are back after summer holidays today, got my license back just in time :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jesus tapdancing christ, can't you loving cagers stay off facebook or stop texting for five goddamn minutes? :mad:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ, can't you loving cagers stay off facebook or stop texting for five goddamn minutes? :mad:

You think that's bad? I know dudes with tank mounted tablet holders.

Think about that for a moment.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Synonamess Botch posted:

e: yeah I thought about this some more and I do disagree with you. Dumb is riding a bike wearing sunglasses, sandals and a baseball cap. Dumb is the fact that between me and these very not hypothetical people I see every day, I'm the one breaking the law. Riding with the visor up isn't dumb, it's a bit daft at worst.

Riding with eye protection is a good idea and the law pretty much everywhere but don't let me stop you from being mad. Those squids you see are legal, you were not. I've gotten things in my eyes even with glasses.

----

Yesterday I saw a driver chatting on his phone with one hand and picking his nose with the other. I did a mime of both at a stoplight next to him and his face was pretty priceless. Usually I just want to reach thru their window and toss their phone in a bush.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Well, like I said it was a minor inconvenience at best and he was a nice guy, so I'm not mad. But you're right, the law is the law, even if it's completely backwards.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's really more an argument on how motorcycle-related laws are usually dumb and counterproductive than anything else. People take 'here is the bare minimum you need to be legal' and twist that into 'if the law doesn't require it then you don't need it' and ride around in swim goggles and pith helmets.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I'm sure the reasoning is that a lack of eye protection is more likely to impair your ability to operate a motorcycle than a lack of a helmet. But realistically I feel like the opposite is more likely to result in serious injury or death. This is PA though, so the reasoning probably doesn't go anywhere past "Freedom"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I always kind of assumed the eye protection laws were to protect the rest of us. If you catch a hornet (rock, hay, hot coffee, really anything) in the eye, it kind of kills your ability to safely pilot the bike immediately thereafter. Given the base riding ability of a lot of the freedumb types, I wouldn't want to be in range of one when they turned their bike into something from Roadrunner and Coyote after catching a swarm of gnats in the face at 70 mph.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The kind of nincompoops who are going to ride without eyepro are going to find other ways to hurt themselves (on the public dime) and/or others and make motorcycling look bad anyway. Making them think in terms of Law vs Are Freedoms actively keeps them from thinking about basic safety needs. Especially if sunglasses at night and/or a plastic yarmulke are sufficent to satisfy the law.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ArbitraryTA posted:

You think that's bad? I know dudes with tank mounted tablet holders.

Think about that for a moment.
Hopefully they only use it for navigation.

And on the topic of navigation, apparently the latest version of Google Maps has a "shake to send feedback" feature, which means any time you go over a bump or a rough patch of road the navigation will stop and pop up a "Would you like to send feedback?" dialog. Fortunately after you dismiss it for the second time it asks if you want to disable the feature.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

Hopefully they only use it for navigation.

And on the topic of navigation, apparently the latest version of Google Maps has a "shake to send feedback" feature, which means any time you go over a bump or a rough patch of road the navigation will stop and pop up a "Would you like to send feedback?" dialog. Fortunately after you dismiss it for the second time it asks if you want to disable the feature.

I've found that it also has the feature where it stops navigating you when you lock the screen, even if you have bluetooth connected.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The new Google maps is poo poo all around, I've started trialling Skobbler to see if it's a decent replacement. So far it looks good, but it isn't quite complete yet.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I take walks at lunch almost every day to keep the fat-assness to a minimum. I saw this car weaving in the road like the driver was drunk. As he passed me, it was a guy with a phone to one ear, a file folder laid out on the wheel and writing with his other hand and trying to steer with his knees. :stonk:

I'm very tempted to call the cops from now on for very egregious things.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Linedance posted:

The new Google maps is poo poo all around, I've started trialling Skobbler to see if it's a decent replacement. So far it looks good, but it isn't quite complete yet.

Waze is my go-to at the moment. Top notch all around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

Also owned by google now, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I think probably a lot of these alternative map apps have better support in the US than the UK. I was testing it out in my neighborhood, and even though it did know that there was a petrol station up the road if I zoomed into and selected it, it didn't come up in a search of nearest fuel stations. The labeling of all the businesses on a road when you zoom right in is very well done though. I'll give Waze a look, I'm not bothered by who owns it, I'm bothered by how much Google has managed to poo poo up it's own map app in the latest update. When I need a bank machine, I want to type 'bank machine' and it should show me every ATM, ABM, cashpoint and bank machine on the map I'm currently looking at, not show me CashPoint Inc. in Dulwich. I keep location services turned off unless I'm desperately lost to conserve battery, but even that aside, why does it assume I want to search in my current location? If I know where I'm going and I want to see if there's a bank or a petrol station or whatever in that area, I should be able to search that particular map for what I'm looking for. Before, it was intuitively simple to do that. Now it's a complicated shambles of bad UI and "social media" stupidity.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddammit I hate dealing with idiots when putting stuff up for sale.

I have an ad up for my B6, I'm asking 29500DKK including a complete set of brake discs, two extra handlebars and various other bits (sparkplugs etc.). It's in good condition, well-maintained, no rust, I looked at other bikes for sale with the same KMs and condition, and priced mine in the same general price range. I renewed the ad yesterday and almost immediately I got a private message on the site.

quote:

20000kr

That's all it said. That's so insulting, I don't understand why people do that. It has never worked, it will never work, why do they keep doing it?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Because if some desperate sucker agrees, they've gotten away with buying a bike for real cheap, and it's not like it takes a lot of energy to send a message over the internet (or an sms)? This is actually part of why I'm draging my legs on selling the SV, because it's so goddamn annoying dealing with all these lowballing fuckheads.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I envy you guys. I've got a K100RS listed since like June and literally no responses at all. Currently priced at 2700 which I think is a decent deal. I don't even get your insulting and poorly spelled lowballs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Well another wonderful CT driver story. Today, on my way to work, there was some police activity which really slowed down traffic in both directions. Well, this guy in a lawn care truck decided he didn't feel like waiting and came straight at me down the wrong side of the road. I have to seriously get license plate numbers on poo poo like that from now on. gently caress these loving people.

All the while he's waving like "thank you for letting me by". Yeah, you loving retard, I didn't want to become a road pizza. That's why I pulled over.

edit: The truck in question didn't just travel 20 feet like some people do. He drove down the wrong side of the road like 200 feet.

VVV What's a gopro?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 6, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have a gopro for this exact reason.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MoraleHazard posted:

VVV What's a gopro?

lotta traffic in your cave?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lotta traffic in your cave?

No, cheap, horribly behind the times, and general reluctance to use gadgets. poo poo, this whole forums thing is tough enough and it only cost me :10bux: . Until about 2 weeks ago, I still had a dumbphone.

I googled the gopro though, it does seem really cool.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Linedance posted:

You can revert back to the old version

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MoraleHazard posted:

No, cheap, horribly behind the times, and general reluctance to use gadgets. poo poo, this whole forums thing is tough enough and it only cost me :10bux: . Until about 2 weeks ago, I still had a dumbphone.

I googled the gopro though, it does seem really cool.

They are awesome and we have a thread for them here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223561

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MoraleHazard posted:

are you my dad

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

are you my dad

Probably.

Oh, nice. Looks like I have some reading to do.

And, speaking of dads, I think I'm going to get mine an SA account. At 74, he won't be the oldest goon, but he can start an "Ask me about vacuum tubes and punch card computing" thread.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Do it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

Probably.

Oh, nice. Looks like I have some reading to do.

And, speaking of dads, I think I'm going to get mine an SA account. At 74, he won't be the oldest goon, but he can start an "Ask me about vacuum tubes and punch card computing" thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621 :v:

If you're over about 26 you'll find that thread somewhat depressing

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HNasty posted:

You can revert back to the old version

Ah thank gently caress for that! I'd tried before but had auto update ticked in the play store so as soon as I'd reverted, it updated again.

E- after a quick test drive, it looks like it reverts you to the old UI (preferred), but the search results seem based on the new maps' engine ie still can't find poo poo, but at least it doesn't take you somewhere completely unrelated to where your map was centered.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 7, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to keep saying this but Nokia Maps is loving amazing and is literally worth the ~£100 PAYG cost of the cheapest Lumia on its own, even if you use it only for on the bike (the touchscreen even works with summer gloves on).

Not just good voice guidance but traffic avoidance and speed camera warnings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Navigon for the iPhone is awesome as well

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Honestly, I haven't had any issues whatsoever out of the iPhone's native Maps app. I figured Apple were the ones who crippled Google Maps, I didn't know it was now lovely on Google's own OS.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Having hosed around with lots of navigation options I've found Google maps for finding roads and getting basic directions is best, for planning custom routes and that sort of thing I found co-pilot to be the best on iphone or android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I have a Garmin Zumo 320 and it's a horrible, horrible piece of poo poo. The PC side software with which you can make routes is pretty good once you get the hang of it (though if you place waypoints while zoomed out, they don't snap to main roads and you end up putting them in peoples' back yards) but the device itself, man. If you turn it off while following a pre-made route and turn it on again, the 'route' will have turned into straight lines between waypoints, it's sent me off the highway and back on again immediately, it's wanted me to follow maintenance roads instead of the highway itself, and one time it tried to send me off an interstate and onto a dirt road. It also likes to crash or randomly pop up 'destination reached' messages.