Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

VOR LOC posted:

God yes. Been riding the Daytona instead of the Tiger for the past week and every cager in town has been screwing up the fun for me. It's normal for car drivers to do this but gently caress that I can be irrational itt.

I normally only pass in designated passing zones but when it's like this and really bad it puts me over the double yellows if there is a suitable straight. I had to do this in PA this weekend. Route 6 up near Milford there is a rather decent cruising road with a 55 (sometimes 45) limit and you have people chugging along at 40 and STILL braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Coredump posted:

Legit rant. Lane splitting in only legal in Kommunist Kalifornia. Its so nice to be able to filter to the front of traffic at red lights. I've done it a couple dozen times here in Georgia. I've gotten some looks but no horns or blocks yet. The thing is I'm across the intersection before the person I "cut off" can get across the line.

Yeah I tried this once or twice. The problem is most of the time I am on a road with a series of lights, or lights and then it opens to a highway. The number of people who will do 120 in their shitbox civics to catch me after I do that makes me just not do it anymore.

This is NY, specifically Long Island/NYC area. People don't like people.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
Before I knew anything about riding I thought the whole "I'd go way too fast and die" thing as well. I had a misconception that hitting a bump or something at any sort of higher speed would like instantly kill you. I feel like a lot of people, like me, have an idea that a bike in a straight line is incredibly unstable. I didn't wise up about that until I started reading a whole bunch of books about riding and the physics of it.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
For me bar end mirrors are essential for any road bike. A nice pair of convex ones give you really easy views almost completely 180 behind you. Easy to check at stop lights, very easy for lane changes and quick cop spotting on longer trips. Obviously no replacement for a head check, but I can't ride with normal mirrors anymore, they just don't impart the same confidence in my situational awareness.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Shimrod posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I absolutely loathe bar end mirrors because they're (for me) completely useless pieces of crap. I have to move my entire head completely to even quickly glance at them, with normal mirrors I can just flick my eyes quickly.

Plus Bar ends are annoying when filtering.

Well filtering isn't an issue with something like CRG lanesplitters (since they fold in very easily). I get what you are saying about moving your head, I guess it also depends on the bike and how the mirrors sit in relation to the riding position. I've had them on my last three (ER6N, Street Triple, and now a V-Strom 1K) and I've been happy on all of them. I don't actually like having mirrors directly in my view all the time. When I need to check them, I check them, otherwise I want a full view of what is in front.

But yeah, I can see where it might not be that desirable to some people. Also probably not great on something you are actually going to go offroad on. Mine held up to a couple of low speed drops but I doubt you'd want to be bashing them all day.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

KARMA! posted:

Haha. Those pesky oversized motorycle mirrors always getting in the way of my freedom view!

Have you seen the stock mirrors on a 2014+ V-Strom? They must have taken them from a car, they are seriously annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Slavvy posted:

Those just look super-useful to me, almost every bike I've ridden (even the 'practical' ones) has had crap mirrors that have half their surface showing your elbow/shoulder regardless of how you adjust the things.

They just showed me larger versions of my shoulders and elbows all the time since they are right in front of my face. Maybe it's just me, but they were awful to use and I had to angle myself constantly to see anything useful.

I've had this issue on every bike I've been on so far (that had stock mirrors), so I might just be biased against them in general.