Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I could and probably will eventually fill this thread with tales of inexplicably dumb and dangerous poo poo CT drivers pull

I flew up to CT to buy a car...gently caress CT drivers. How that state operates I don't know. I expected NY or some of the other states up there to be terrible but no CT was the worst I saw. It was also raining and rush hour by the time I hit the road.

TN drivers are mostly just over cautious, don't understand merging and ignorant as hell when it comes to operating a vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Read an article once that suggested it was a good idea to swerve back and forth like that in your lane when approaching intersections and cars about to turn left and poo poo. To make yourself more visible. Something about the human eye being more attuned to left/right motion.

I've made it a habit of swerving a bit when approaching any cars that look like they will be turning across where I'm headed. So far have had only a handful of semi-close calls with left turners in four years of commuting.

Obviously not saying the swerving is why but anything you can do to be more visible is good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mister Duck posted:

I normally only pass in designated passing zones but when it's like this and really bad it puts me over the double yellows if there is a suitable straight. I had to do this in PA this weekend. Route 6 up near Milford there is a rather decent cruising road with a 55 (sometimes 45) limit and you have people chugging along at 40 and STILL braking.

I live off of a road with a few decent corners, is a 45 zone but has no passing zones for ~10 miles. At least once a week I come up on someone doing under 35mph and all over the road. If they are at least staying in their lane I'll pass them on one of the safe straights. If they are all over the place I pull over and call them in for drunk driving.

I kind of feel bad, I've called in my neighbor twice for doing 25 and swerving all over the place. She wasn't drunk just really old.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

I'd like to contribute to this thread by offering my sentiments on chip seal as well: GARBAGE. At least they put up signs in my area, but I still have some tar-embedded gravel stuck to my engine case and rear wheel from about 50 miles of the stuff between Cut Bank and Browning Montana. Seems like they try to put the stuff on the best roads, precisely when I want to have a good ride.

Think it was last fall I went to spend a day in the mountains and hit the Cherohala skyway towards the end of the day. North Carolina side was great with no traffic, nice clean road and perfect weather. Crossed the border into Tennessee and it was covered in crappy chip seal. Wasn't too bad so I kept going at a more leisurely pace until I get to one of my favorite corners the downhill, decreasing radius corner. First quarter was good then it turned to deep chip seal which just makes the bike skate around...felt like my tires were completely flat. Should have done a sighting run first I guess but I managed to not crash and ride the rest of the route.

Chip Seal :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

People think bikes are speeding because in general they are loud. In the old neighborhood I was yelled at a few times for speeding (I wasn't), I remedied it by riding through the neighborhood in 3rd gear instead of second. Cars are for the most part pretty quiet but a bike or scooter reving it's rear end off draws attention.

GoPro with speedo is a good idea if you think it's ever going to court.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

HPC Field Support Engineer...so pretty much IT but on a more industrial scale.

Rant: If you're selling a bike on Craigslist you should have all the title 'issues' figured out before you list it. WTF, how complicated is it to make sure the title is in your hands ready to sign over to the new owner? I guess I should be thankful he mentioned it before I drove 3 hours to look at it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 31, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Xovaan posted:

I would say that a third of the cars around here merge onto the freeway sub-50mph, creating horrible, terrible traffic situations for everybody. Luckily I only experience this in a car since I can filter in front of the bad drivers on my bike on a regular basis.

Same issue here but the nice people that planned the roads didn't do much to help. Here's one of many such lovely on-ramps on this stretch of road, notice the 90 degree corner and very little space to get up to speed. Pellissippi is a 55 zone but if you're doing less than 70 you get passed constantly.

Also check out the nice side-road joining the off-ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Slavvy posted:

1. You get wet if it rains/cold if it's cold.
2. You can't carry groceries/children/whatever.
3. You have to wear special clothes.
3. What if someone knocks it over?

edit: hahahahaha gently caress, leaving this as-is for posterity.

1 - see first number 3
2 - sure I can
3 - gently caress yeah I do, they are awesome clothes
3 - it's a motard, I pick it up and ride away into the sunset