Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Possibly no feelers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I was on 95 the other day in a rental hamster car (Kia Soul) and got in behind some cruiser guys. There were at least 15 of them. The problem wasn't that they were going slow, but that they would swerve into whichever lane suited their fancy without warning. It was a real bitch getting around them.

I hate group rides anyway, small group is the way to go if anything. Anything else, the group gets stupid, or I am stuck with a bunch of slowasses. I like to go fast and I'm stupid enough on my own, thanks.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

n8r posted:

Can't find it on youtube, but there is a video talking about visibility when a car is at an intersection waiting to turn onto a road. They showed that if the background is moving behind the car they will probably see you, but if the background isn't moving (this depends on your angle of approach) the car will have less of a chance seeing you. That is when it makes sense to flick your highbeam or swerve slightly in your lane.

Don't flick your highbeams they might take it as "hey go ahead".

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, there was some slight problem with the speed as well.

And besides, from what I recall you have an insane amount of double yellow over there compared to here. Well, apart from our lines not being yellow.

We do. Also our motorists will try to kill you for having the gall to break a law in a way that means you might get somewhere on time. Doesn't stop me but adds a little flavor to the commute.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Or supermoto riders.

I was about to say...I crash regularly!

Then again it's always because I'm doing something retarded on the drz, my s3r is spotless.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Four days ago, I picked up a nail in my tire on my S3R. Took it to the shop, dude patched it, said he could get the tire on monday for me. So I said "cool, I'll leave the bike here instead of ride on the patch, I've got the DRZ so I'll just ride that".

Next day, I take the DRZ to work, and after parking it, do a quick check and see that there's wet all over my chair and tire/wheel...and there's a puddle forming under the engine. It's oil. gently caress. Trailer the bike back to the shop, swap bikes for the patched rear tire S3R, now I've got to ride that around until I have the day off Thursday. gently caress me did both these things have to happen at once? At least my DRZ got a free chain oiling.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

When I'm riding parallel to someone (a minivan. it's ALWAYS a minivan) and see that I'm in their blind spot, I'll ease on the throttle just enough to move me up at least around their front bumper so I'm clearly in their line of sight. EVERY SINGLE TIME, when it's a minivan, or sometimes a silver SUV, the driver immediately has to flog his soulless mommy-wagon to amble forwards so I'm not in his line of sight, and, i guess, no longer a visual reminder of what a failure their life is. It always dumbfounds me. I'm not leaping forward aggressively, I'm just easing into view. And I'm on a motorcycle. I move at the speed of thought. If I had wanted to pass you, it would be over before you could finish "liking" your erectile dysfunction treatment program on facebook. So congratulations. Now you're tailgating someone and endangering me for no reason whatsoever.

My personal frustration is that when I'm flying up on someone's rear end in the left lane on the bike, they bang over to the right just at the point where I'd be leaned over to pass. I think they see me and freak out and try to get out of the way, despite the fact that I'm a ton more maneuverable than they are. like, "Yes guy, my master plan IS to commit suicide into the back of your hatchback, congrats on figuring it out."

Just had to buy a car for winter and found that doing the same thing warrants no response to something that is about ten times heavier and stops far less quickly. Can't get around? Well gently caress me then, they can't be bothered to speed up or slow down a minute to let other cars through.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Oh, yeah, and yesterday was homecoming in my lovely college town. I had to run a ton of errands that day. Every time I turned into my alley some drunk jackass would act like he was going to jump in my way every-drat-time. I wanted to kill.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I really hate when somebody asks about my bike, asks me how fast it goes, all that stuff and then follows up with "Aw, man, I know what it's like, I've got a 350z, thing's fast man." No. No it's not. And no you don't. You're in the bubble of a vehicle designed to protect you from everything: wind, other vehicles, weather cold or hot, wet or baking. Your vehicle doesn't fall on top of you if you lean too far. It doesn't rear up on you if you give it too much throttle. gently caress you you have no loving idea what it's like to ride a fast motorcycle. Or even a slow one. And you don't want to, you soft little pussy. Otherwise you wouldn't say dumb poo poo things like "Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one. Again, no you're not. You can't be the person so prone to risky behaviors that they avoid them all. That person doesn't exist, you're just risk adverse, afraid of your own blood, your own mortality.

Explaining that just makes me a douche though, so I have to eat my words and just nod my head to their stupid bullshit.

And besides, lame guy who just started at my old job, your concept of what a person can do on a bike is so limited all you can think about is going fast on the highway anyway. That's loving EASY son. This always happens with the bullshit excuses too. I don't loving care! I don't try to sell anyone on getting a bike unless they express interest on getting one. I understand they're not for everybody. So why can't a person just say "Yeah, those scare me. You're crazy." That's a nice ego boost they just haaaaave to take away with their "too macho to try" bullshit.

In sum, you have not impressed me, guy who replaced me at my old job and creepily has my first name and initials. Not at all.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

This is driving me crazy because I actually stopped speeding, at all, in my entire neighbourhood just to stop something like this from happening and she called the cops anyway. She's also extremely thick so I don't picture any reasonable argument to work. Which I'd have difficulty articulating anyway because nothing fills me with unadulterated rage quite as much as people not minding their own business. Who has the time for this bullshit? Doesn't she have a job or something?

Why doesn't she complain about the local drug dealer who cruises around in a lowered Toyota Cressida with the plate [G THANG], or the pig hunter next door who rides a completely unroadworthy, unregistered 50cc dirt bike around the neighbourhood with no helmet?

Also the cop who called me on the phone this morning said 'multiple complainants' had 'identified my bike' as doing some preposterous poo poo, like riding over a footbridge that crosses some railway tracks near my house :lol::wtf:

I asked him how they could possibly know it's me and he said I match the description. Yes, a black bike with a guy wearing black riding gear and black helmet. I hate this country sometimes.

Never talk to the cops on the phone. It is possible that they will literally make up an admission of guilt and it's their word against yours.

I know from personal experience.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

These aren't American cops so that isn't likely, they're more likely to either send me a 'cut it out or else' letter, or just come to my house and give me a stern talking to. I'm being cautious and not riding the zx10 to work now regardless, I'll just take the gl145. They're welcome to try accuse me of speeding on that.

I'm also going to have a wander around my area and see if I can spot a blue Daihatsu sirion so I can talk to the stupid woman and try to reason with her. I don't need this poo poo in my life right now.

I hate you foreigners and your bizarrely reasonable police forces.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it weren't for the salt, I might consider that, but no way am I letting my bike get all corroded like some pedestrian 690.

Weather was amazing here in PA today so I risked the salt to thrash the melting snow and the mud pits all the trails and drainage areas around me have turned into. Gave the bike a little spraydown at the carwash and she's good to hide in my garage for another month if need be.

That said I really want a supermoto but goddamn, my enduro is so perfect sometimes. I feel like I'm breaking up with a great girl just because I'm not sure if she's what I want yet.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Linedance posted:

Just remember that monogamy doesn't have to apply to motorcycles. If you can afford it, you can have more than one (like wives).

Ah I already do, I've got my Streety that I treat like a princess and the DRZ I beat on like a red-headed step child. Both of those together are about 6X what my car costs so while it would be awesome a third bike just ain't gonna fit finance-wise, unless it was a funny little pit bike or something.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Going fast and cutting through traffic is fun, put your cost/benefit charts away you spergy goons.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nah the problem is it sounds like he's the kinda guy who likes the concept of himself riding a motorcycle but not enough to jump into it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Linedance posted:

2-3mm clippers, entire head. Best thing about being bald.

And no helmet hair.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I'm just hoping all the man-sized potholes will be filled in by April here in Pennsylvanistan.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I recently had to drop 1700 to repair my car and had my hours at my day job cut down to about 10-20 a month for at least the next month or more so I feel your pain Slavvy. I wanted to buy a truck and a bike to do MX and minigp, and while I can still afford the bike it's just barely, I had to sell my DRZ, and money's gonna be tight for a little while.

I do have property I live in and rent out so I'm able to live, but I'm gonna have to make compromises on the fun bike stuff I planned on doing. The bright side is being basically funemployed means I can spend more time hanging out on my porch with my dog and drinking, which is nice :unsmith:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Fuuuuck! Goddamn penndot! How big of a problem is this? It's still holding a bead, and it was probably a month ago that it happened. I haven't been riding much so I just noticed it now.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

How high did you bounce when that happened

Riding on Eastern Pennsylvania roads is like sailing blind in a hurricane on the high seas so I didn't even notice during my usual trials course of a commute.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Are you losing pressure? If not, probably fine, although it wouldn't hurt to get it hammered back flat by a wheel repair shop.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too but my local mechanic said I should get a new rim. I'm sure he wants the work mounting it though. Hopefully the local rim guys can do a motorcycle wheel.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

Hauled rear end to the DMV at noon, got plates and hauled rear end to my house. loving battery was dead.

So much for the first ride in years.

Bump start the thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

M42 posted:

Two fiddy :colbert:

You're about due for a big girl bike :colbert: