Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Past-me, making future-me’s job messier than it needs to be with 100 years worth of dielectric grease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If you don't start off with a perfectly centered chrome skull on your fork bag it will absolutely impact your drunken pinstripe application.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

Fill the spot with more bikes.

Did this with my $50/mo carport, would recommend. You know how the property management doesn't let you leave poo poo laying around in it when you're gone for the day? A second bike becomes a garage to store your first bike's cover & lock! You can't afford not to do this.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Tell me more

I don’t have a link but read an article a while back that was lauding cars that detect when you’ve been on the road too long or are starting to exhibit signs of fatigue via your inputs, i think they referenced coffee breaks in the warnings and i bet it’s something in that vein.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 16, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Do they think that's where you're supposed to stop? :psyduck: I can't think of any other line of reasoning (including rear end in a top hat reasoning) that would put a car there let alone 2 of them.

I just had the most delightful experience 20 minutes from home, as I exited the freeway and began to realize that yes, something is definitely stinging me in the neck. Got to calmly park the bike, remove the gloves, glasses, helmet... open up my jacket so my wife could delicately pluck a yellowjacket off my throat.

Still beat working today.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Around 95mph, car or bike, the vehicle's handling starts to feel unfamiliar and so I naturally start thinking about how stupid I'd feel losing control and dying after nailing a squirrel or something.

Phy posted:

I'm the one with the top speed

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The vagueness of their response suggests that the problem might run a little deeper than the contractor misinterpreting plans, but that's just me.

quote:

"It was not designed to look very odd."

I'm angry about bees. I've recently grown to appreciate the added windflow of a naked bike, but after digging the second stinger out of my neck in less than a month I'm debating putting the windscreen back on. I absolutely will not wear a scarf on a Triumph, I will not be that guy I WILL NOT.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

loving A, the VanVan has developed a nasty little habit of dying out of the blue. It happened a couple times before and during a trail ride, but I convinced myself I must have dropped to idle (where it has stalled a few times before at lights). This weekend it dispelled the illusion and made us call off another trail ride by dying on me while going WOT at about 50mph uphill on the way to the meeting spot, FI flashing in a complex code I didn't capture and can't bring back up.

I absolutely hate troubleshooting intermittent, unreproducible problems. Did change X help or am I just getting lucky? Should I pay garbage tier mechanics to shake their chickens at it because the good shop is booked out till December?

I guess it's time to find a 6-pin OBD2 adapter and hope that tells me something, since shorting the interface with a wire like some guy on the internet said to do failed to present any FI flashing lights.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah, in fact every other time it just started right back up and was back on my way immediately. This last time it turned over but wouldn't catch at first, so I let it sit a few and then it started up.

If I didn't have a backup I'd probably still be riding it to work and risking the chances of a surprise engine braking lurch.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks, I'll keep that possibility in mind. It makes sense given what I've shared, but it did start right up after hours crawling around the desert at noon, and the hard start was only 20 minutes a ride on a cool foggy morning (I was flogging it though).

Here's hoping it fails again!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

But the shattered parts you'll be gluing back together will be retained for later, snug as bugs in a cozy dedicated space for turn signals that other bikes don't require have :smuggo:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

All motorcycle seats should have a key /quick release mechanism, god drat do I hate digging out a wrench to take out two bolts every single time I want to take the seat off the vanvan. What if I wanted to put my weed in there or something?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I wasn't sure how rare it was, the other two bikes I had were keyed. It's got me pondering hacks to make it quick-release.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Why do I keep needing object lessons to remind me to always aggressively scan the pavement in front of me? This morning I almost dropped the Triumph like a block from home, in a left-hand turn I usually hit with the vanvan and its chonky tires. It's a rough patch of pavement that I've learned to ignore apart from the worst potholes, but street tires plus a brand new pile of gravel that I rode heedlessly through nearly wrecked my day. When compensating I dipped my foot hard hard enough to hurt a little, and while I'm glad that's the second time such a dip has saved the Triumph from a drop, it's also a habit that will probably get my leg and groin seriously injured in an unrecoverable situation.

Moments like this usually scare me straight for a little while, but here and there I always end up riding right over or through things that I should've spotted and avoided.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I mean to be fair that's true of the culture at large as well.

I've somehow managed to build an entire unwanted career in management because blathering assholes keep threatening to bubble to the top and become my incompetent boss.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

On my cavalier I had good luck with a patch of JB Weld and a mountain dew can, YMMV.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That might actually have been my '98 Suzuki GS500e. Though the oil filter was better placed on the suzuki by a longshot.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I wonder what acrobatics they’ll go through to resell those gross non Harley trade-ins under a different front.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure the reason my close friend and riding buddy hasn't taken me up on repeated offers to let him ride the Triumph T120 is he's unwilling to let me ride his Lowrider S for fear I'll drop it. Yeah I've crashed here and there but his fears are unfounded and I wanna test that good meat interaction.

My uncle's mystery (to me) Harleys were just loud grumbly pieces of poo poo and I didn't see the fun, but said friend knows his bikes so I have high hopes. Dammit dude it's time to bike swap :argh:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I suppose it might be an eye of the beholder thing, I should probably brace myself to be underwhelmed when I ride it. He's all googly eyed over this one, and apparently he'd always wanted a Harley despite owning a dozen or two bikes over the years. He's a capable rider who's ridden mostly Japanese sportbikes and standards, before this his favorite was a VFR around '02 or maybe the superhawk before that, he gets how a bike's supposed to steer, so I figured there must be something to this bike.

Toe Rag posted:

Both ride this and call it a day.

See I don't know my bikes or heritage or anything so what I see here is the overly heavy Globe commuter bike I won in a raffle and put a springy brooks saddle on, just a terribly exhausting bicycle to operate, but this has a motor and burns my ankle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Ugh on smooth pavement that can be so loving annoying.