Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I just hate the dumbfucks who roll on through intersections without looking and almost kill me daily.

I am also sick of loving cruiser riders (mostly the he-men on Harleys, but its people on other equivalents) telling me to/asking when I'm going to get a "real" bike. Yeah, because mines loving imaginary or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

The torching the new road thing is about melting the tar so it sets in properly, or so the traffic guy told me one time.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Don't go brake checking cars, it's not a very bright idea, in situations like that I tap my brake a few times just enough to flick the light on and off a bit, let them know to back off, if that doesn't work I hand gesture them to shoo off, if that doesn't work I either nail it or just pull over and let them past.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Heh, reminds me of when I was at leaving Indropilly(sp?) in Brisbane one night and the car that came out of the shopping complex behind me didn't have his lights on so I looked behind, reached over and pointed to my headlight and pointed to him, got some odd looks, flicked my highbeam, pointed to his lights again and got some more odd looks, then stepped off the bike, walked over to him and said "mate your lights are off"

"oh, thanks!"

Toddled on off back to my bike and waited for the light to turn green. Good times.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It's taught in QLD, Australia to do that, flick them on when it's a bit harder to see than normal. Personally I'm of the opinion that parking lights are completely useless, I either have my actual lights on or off. Parkers do turn on your rear lights though, I suppose.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I used to read it as Zed Three N until someone mentioned it as zen.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Tell him to go into a Motorcycle wrecker and have a look around. They've usually got cheap running bikes there.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

poo poo man, glad she's ok. Don't know how I'd handle that with a little old woman. Probably go kick the poo poo out of something nearby so I didn't hit a little old lady.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty crap riding weather. Clear skies and like 28 degrees celcius for the last 2 weeks months, bit humid though. Might leave the cool weather liner out for a bit.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That was such a fantastic segment. There were a few more videos they made as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Engine crane with a strap around the handlebars works aswell.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Those ones that beep are horribly inaccurate anyway. I did my tires because they felt a bit funny on one of them and thought they still felt like poo poo afterwards so I checked them when I got home and they were like 4psi off where I had told it to inflate them too.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That's ok, Sir Moot made a handy video for us all on dropping and picking ones sports bike back up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Have you looked at the Kawasaki bikes? I'm a taller person and I find they fit me way better than the other Japanese makes. GSXRs are tiny for me, as are CBRs, but the Ninjas fit pretty well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

M42 posted:

My hands (and nothing else) turn into blocks of ice below 54, it really limits my riding in spring and fall. Wish there was a way to get some bark busters onto a ninja 250.

Some surgical gloves under your actual gloves can be helpfull as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Really? I find my hands get uncomfortably sweaty in exam gloves within minutes, warm or not. I couldn't imagine riding with them.

Yeah, they cut out the wind completely in the cold, and if it's raining your hands don't get clammy if you've got perf gloves :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, wow, your NZ cops suck, badly. Come over to one of the proper Australian states. Should have just told him you engine braked down to a safe speed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yep, they can get you for driving in a manner unsuited to the road conditions. Their discretion.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Deeters posted:

Eagerly awaiting the post when the cops show up saying they got a phone call that you were riding down that footpath.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Best bet would be some rain-x, heavy fog is always going to be crap and dangerous to ride through though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, dude, just, don't even worry about them and just give it a squirt. When I filter to the front of traffic lights it's about 40% of the time someone tries to outrun me and I either don't even realise or just destroy them by taking off normally anyway.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, wow, gently caress that poo poo. I've never seen a bridge or anything like that. Worst we get is a cattle grid a meter or so long.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Here in the penal colony calling someone a oval office is one of two things.

"You're a oval office" - I probably hate you.

"Sup oval office" - You're a great person and I love you.

Both can also mean the opposite depending on person.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I have a relatively smart friend who rides who genuinely believes that too. Blows my mind.

Not as much as learning Razzled knows someone who crashed more than him in a week of riding though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, sure, there'd be a little bit of air drag and therefore braking going on, but it'd be so insignificant it's not even worth considering. Same with popping out of the bubble - yeah, there's some air braking there, and it's probably a half decent amount, but that's more of a "I want to move my weight back a bit and brace myself/get ready for the turn because I'm decellerating from 300km/h."

Go do it on your bike, get to, even highway speed, then decellerate, first with your body on the tank, then by sitting up, it's FAR easier to do it sitting up. Yeah, might be a 1000th of a second quicker in decelleration sitting up, but it's mostly a comfort and preparation thing. Same with that Rossi leg wave thing, it doesn't actually change anything at all, it's just more comfortable for them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It'd make a difference, but remember they're on 250hp bikes vs a, what, 25hp Ninja 250? A little wind resistance is goign to make a difference for them, but it's not going to be HUGE. Enough to make a difference down a long straight, yeah, probably cost them a second or so, but it wouldn't drop their speed by 50km/h or something.

I know on my 250 i'd drop from about 130km/h to about 125ish, on my 600 though it doesn't even make a difference at that speed.

Popping out at over 200km/h is a bit of a shunt, yeah, but it's not that bad, might be a get used to it thing. I've popped out at 250km/h to brake and I can't say I ever worried about it ripping my hands off. You're hit back a bit by the wind, but at the same time you're that hard on the brakes you're getting pushed forward as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

Wind resistance doesn't give a poo poo what kind of bike you're riding?

edit: to be clearer we're talking about braking, not when they're on the power. I was just saying to do it at highway speed as an example.

Yeah, I know, I was just saying that at that with more HP you will still have that wind resistance, but it won't bother it as much. What I was getting at was I don't even have to give it more throttle to hold my speed on my 600, on my 250 I had to give it more.

nsaP posted:

If air resistance wasn't an issue they wouldn't worry about all the poo poo they worry about. Tucking in the fairing, speed humps on the suits, clear plastic helmet add ons, etc etc. These guys are looking for tenths on the best bikes in the world, it all matters.

I'm not denying that at all, I'm just saying that it's fairly insignificant at the end of the day compared to having a better engine, better brakes, a good frame and actual talent. In GP that is anyway, in Moto2 it would be a little more important, in Moto3 it's fairly important.

e: More to the original point, hanging your knee out isn't going to slow you down any quicker than keeping it locked in.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think a few of us have done it here at fuel bowsers and the like. I've almost forgotten a few times, usually happens if I pull up and someone talks to me before I do my "ritual" for getting off.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not really sure what you're getting at there, I'm not denying there's wind resistance or that it's important to minimise it, I'm saying that poking your leg out isn't going to act as a 3rd brake or anything. Hell, just look back to the MotoGP race last night, Marquez and Lorenzo weren't even bothering to tuck back behind the windshield unless they were on a somewhat decent length straight, instead they focused on getting setup for the next corner. If it was THAT important (and it is important, I'm not saying it's not) that it'd be a game changer without 100% staying behind the windshield, they'd tuck back down behind it instantly every single time they were going remotely forward.

What I'm saying is it's probably the most insignificant thing to do with their speed, of all the factors.

I've popped up from behind the windshield at 180mph before, I'm not the strongest guy in the world, I could imagine it'd rip you back if you weren't under brakes, but if you're on the brakes it's not that huge a deal because you have that braking force sending you forward and that's stronger than the wind force throwing you back. I'm pretty sure I said that earlier.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't see that part, but yeah, wouldn't surprise me, considering they're doing 350km/h at that point and slowing down to less than half of that on those Carbon brakes which aparrantly have one hell of a bite. From my experience slowing from 300km/h when you pop out of the bubble it's a shock and you'd probably get thrown off if you didn't have a decent grip, but as long as you're paying attention (and I really hope you would be at that speed) it's not anything to really worry about.

It could also be a bike specific thing, a height specific thing, etc. I'm just talking from my experience.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That shop sounds bad. You should find another one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I (on the rare occasion I do) drive with my right hand on the steering wheel at roughly where it should be, with my arm resting on the window frame. Right hand drive. Anything else is fairly uncomfortable unless it's a truck steering wheel, even then I usually 1 hand it. 2 hands is annoying.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Do you guys not do your jackets up or something? God drat.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So .. there's not busty blondes running around bouncing everywhere on every beach in America, regardless of time of day?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I ... might visit Sweden instead.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not seeing the issue here? Is it hailing as well or something?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Lynza posted:

When I'm taking off from a light where the speed is low (car in front of me + traffic, usually), I do a thing with my feet where I make it look like I'm taking HUGE, AWESOME LEAPS. It pleases me to no end.

lol, I do this too.

I'll let my feet hang out if I'm feeling lazy or in a funny mood, otherwise they don't go off the pegs unless I'm stretching them/completely stopped. I've gotten to the point where I can keep my feet on the pegs at slower than walking speed and even stopped for a few seconds. I'm going to screw that last one up one day and just promptly fall over and confirm some random bystanders worst fears about Motorbikes, but oh well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Mmm, I don't think I completely agree with that. If I'm only going forward a car length from a stop to another complete stop I'm probably just going to leave me left leg down, hovering, but ready to go back on the ground. This is out of laziness rather than any worry whatsoever that the bike is going to fall over. I see plenty of other riders doing the same. That said, unless I for whatever reason feel like letting my leg float, the second I start moving both are on the pegs.

Sometimes it's just nice to let your legs dangle, I do it on the highway sometimes.

That said, I've also seen poo poo riders with their legs dangling, but more like hovering at the ready to save themselves. You can generally tell the difference between someone who is playing around (like I do) and someone who is worried about dropping it - one is riding normally and confidentaly except for the fact their legs are dangling around, the other is riding nervously.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I want to know what the gently caress they were doing to dent your frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My favourite one though was getting pulled over because "You looked like you didn't want to get pulled over". The existential crisis that provoked in me almost caused me to give up biking.

That's a thing? I go out daily hoping I get pulled over. I'm super bummed when I'm not :(