Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Not sure about other countries, but the Police can, and I've seen them do it before, enforce in parking lots, etc. It's classed as public road as long as it connects to the roads somehow, which, every parking lot ever does.

Unless there is literally no connection between the parking lot and the road it's free reign for them.

e: Boomgates, etc. don't count as separating it either. Has to be lockable, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

adary posted:

Rant of the day:

Didn't ride the whole weekend because 'reasons'. Got home after work today to find a bike with two flat tires, with both valves neatly open, and a cheeky note about loud bikes won't get you very far if there is no air in the tires. Considering that I know which neighbor hates me and my bike, I will leave you to guess whose Mitsubishi Pajero got a tank full of sugar and 5 slashed tires, and no cheeky note ...

What goes through someones mind to even do this poo poo, gently caress me. What a dipshit.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

While I'm none of those, I'm going to put this thought there for you Radbot, because it's why I'll be taking an extended trip in the next few years.

Would you prefer to save your money so you can travel and have fun in 40 years, or just use the money and do it now?

Personally I would prefer to do all the fun poo poo I want to do while I'm young enough to enjoy it. I'll get bored with retirement anyway.

Only live once dude.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Radbot posted:

I'd prefer to not eat catfood when I'm old, which is pretty much what's going to happen to you if you don't take advantage of investing when you're young.

It's not about having fun. Run a retirement calculator and see what you'll need to maintain a pretty basic $60k/yr lifestyle (combined incomes) for 20+ years in America, especially if literally anything happens to SS benefits and considering the depressed equity yield we're likely to see during our lifetimes.

Your post makes me think you're either very young, financially retarded, or European.

gently caress I feel old.

Australian, 25 and very good with money.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I've never gotten pissy about it, I'm glad I don't live in a corporate-owned dystopia like the US. The more I hear from you guys, the more I realise the land of the free has the least free people of any first world country.

Ya, I'd never move to the US unless I was offered a ridiculous wage, even then it'd be a case of "Can I do it from here?"

We've got it good here.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Well, that blows.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Well, see, you just put it on when you're planning to crash. If you're not gonna crash then you can leave it off. Simple.

This cracks me up when people say why do you wear gear all the time if you only need it when you're going to crash.

Because, um, I don't know when I'm going to crash, not like it's gonna be planned.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Not to mention that bikes that come with fairings generally look like complete dogshit with them removed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

13k miles? poo poo, I do that in 6 months :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Because they're still driving/in control of the car? And if they're doing it while stopped, you can bet that they probably check/talk on the phone while moving.

e: Is that the Australian bike cop from Perth vid? If so, you can get done for DUI if you're asleep in your backseat of your car with keys in your possession or in the ignition. They're super harsh on a bunch of odd driving rules over here.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, best (kinda surprising/not surprising) ending ever.

I went past a DeLorean done up as Back to the Future time machine (twice) on my commute home today. Today was a good day.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

'Straya mate

That less than 10km/h exception was only recently added as well, used to be written that you had to have both feet on the pegs when the bike is moving at all.

Queensland being the exception. It's specifically legal here now. Added it in when they legalized splitting.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I know a bloke that hit a swan on his bike. :/ He crashed.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Dellikose posted:

That would be hard to swallow.

Looolllllllllll

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You cunts need to chill the gently caress out. It's a word - it can have multiple meanings and depending how you use it, can be insulting or a praise. For Australians/NZers it's not overly offensive to most nowadays, but occasionally you come across someone who can't stand the word - so you don't use it around them. Same with Americans, I know it's offensive to them so don't say it around my American friends because it upsets them, however, around my usual Aussie friends, females included, the word oval office gets bantered around just as much as poo poo, gently caress, fag, bitch, etc.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There was a case in QLD before the laws came in to make it legal like that, person opened their door on a motorcycle, they got charged with attempted manslaughter, among the other driving offences. Motorcyclist got hit with a few minor fines (and a door).

e: I believe it was a motorcycle cop that was at the scene first, that probably influenced things some.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Kickstarting will come with practice. Make weight doesn't really matter, it's all in technique. I can kickstart my little brothers 150cc Honda with my hand, and I'm skinny as all hell. Push backwards, then down, if that makes sense.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Well, gently caress.

:( Got one last week too.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ones that race/have a race history are the only ones worth your time.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Wtf is 1 foot stopping?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

When you squish them, yeah. And termites taste like carrot.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah dude, that was entirely on you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Verge posted:

Maybe you guys can't see how his front end picked up but he accelerated, at first pretty calmly but when he gunned it, that's when I caught on. Yeah, this was a skill/experience issue, I'll admit, I rarely pass over yellow - I should've been more ready to pass with authority. I was in 6th gear accelerating mildly thinking cage wasn't a oval office. Think what you want, that dude blocked my pass and the police said it's not the first report of him doing that poo poo on this road.

Oh, and it's an xg750. Sorry I don't ride a super but it has more power than I can make use of.

No, sorry, you pulled out far too early, didn't overtake quick enough and didn't give the oncoming traffic enough time. If he'd "gunned it," you would have had to give it at least some more throttle. From the sounds of it you barely increased your speed from what you were approaching him at.

I ride a ZX10R, I wouldn't have made that overtake, you had nowhere near enough room to do it safely/comfortably.

I've watched that a few times now and I can't see the front of his car lift up as if he'd gunned it, can you give us a timestamp? I think you've just freaked out because you thought you had more time before the oncoming traffic.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know what I just watched but that was fantastic.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I also work with doctors every day. They're great at what they do ... and that's it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

They're actually quite good looking in person, the newer ones at least.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There's like 10 of them at work, maybe I'm just growing immune to them :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I keep it the same on my ZX10R (PR4s), but my 690 has a Metzler front and a Conti rear. Haven't had the 690 long enough to tell if it makes it feel funny or not :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Mister Duck posted:

For me bar end mirrors are essential for any road bike. A nice pair of convex ones give you really easy views almost completely 180 behind you. Easy to check at stop lights, very easy for lane changes and quick cop spotting on longer trips. Obviously no replacement for a head check, but I can't ride with normal mirrors anymore, they just don't impart the same confidence in my situational awareness.

See, I'm the opposite. I absolutely loathe bar end mirrors because they're (for me) completely useless pieces of crap. I have to move my entire head completely to even quickly glance at them, with normal mirrors I can just flick my eyes quickly.

Plus Bar ends are annoying when filtering.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think that's how it works hey.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Lynza posted:

On the other hand, the Harleys almost all park in handicapped stripes

Seems fitting.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You can get one for any disability - mental included.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, mine doesn't melt any plastics or anything, just the indicator (which the police kindly pointed out last time I got pulled over).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a buddy who target fixated his way off the road on an Sv650, and the resulting wreck caused his balls to hit the tank so hard that one of them literally cracked

Thanks for sharing that ...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Coydog posted:

I love my 690 to death but it may be the death of me. The EFI is poo poo so god help you if you live in a climate that changes temps drastically week to week or day to day. Do the idle reset procedure when it's cold? Random stalls if you get warm weather. Idle reset when warm? You are hosed if a cold front comes in.

Since it stalls just as you are accelerating from a stop, and not predictably, one of two things happens:

BEST case- You stall in an intersection and look like an idiot holding everyone else up. This happens like twice on a 30 minute ride.

WORST case- You stall pulling out onto a busy street, in front of two lanes of oncoming traffic. This is TERRIFYING, and has happened THREE TIMES IN THE PAST TWO DAYS gently caress

Like, it's the best goddamned bike and I don't want to get rid of it but I also want to set it on fire.

Dude, get it retuned. I have 0 issues - my bike has the modded airbox and gutted exhaust with a PC5 and 0 issues.

e: that white connector is NOT standard, both of mine and all the other 690s I've ever seen are all black.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 15, 2017

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Coydog posted:

:catstare:
I just don't know about that, though. Other than the random stall, it runs like a top. I'd think it would be getting bad MPG or running poorly if it had the map but an airbox and near stock exhaust. I DO frequently send 6 inch jets of blue fire out the rear, which is a real crowd pleaser let me tell ya. I'll put the restrictive db killer in soon and see if that improves things.

One of the people on the group ride today was a guy with lots of experience with the 690, and KTM in general. I mentioned the stall to him, and got an immediate "Yeah you want to just do the airbox and evo tune it. Mine did that but it stopped after the tune" before going on to tell me about the 4th gear wheelies it would do after the tune. Really makes me just want to tune it now. The guy was there with an 1190 Adventure with knobbies, yet was leaving us in the twisties and 12'oclocking frequently. Quite a sight to behold.

After an entire day in the mountains, I really cannot believe how much I love this 690. Loads of power to keep up with supersports on the highway, all day comfort, and just generally bonkers. :stwoon:

A tune will solve all of your problems. You've brought one of the most finnicky bikes around, change literally ANYTHING and it'll be a shithead. Also make sure you're in the correct power mode setting it's mapped to on the adjuster under the seat.

I had the PCV out when I originally got mine which had the map for it on there, and it ran like poo poo, was hard to ride, studdery, etc. Put the PCV back on and it was running on the correct map and was perfect.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

People will probably poo poo on me for this but IMO the 690 and other SM-themed bikes are far too heavy and soft to be proper motards; this becomes apparent the minute you ride a big bore MX bike with motard wheels on it. The DRZ is closer to the mark but ancient and heavy as poo poo, the WR250 is closer still but the engine is way too weaksauce thanks to being a road bike with sane service intervals and poo poo.

The WR450 is literally a yzf 450 with lights, a generator and slightly more conservative gearing and engine tuning. It has like 30kg up on a 690 and the difference in handling feel you get from that is huge.

100% correct.

You don't go the 690 route for hardcore SuMo performance though - you buy it because it's the reliable, easy to live with motard that you can throw around the track, ride to work and then go around the country on.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm surprised there is 4 SMCs. For about 6 months after I got mine there was 0.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Isolationist posted:

Car driver stopped due to the incoming motorcyclist impacting his car. He parked and came back to the accident scene, where he started a conversation with the rider that shot me down by saying "you crossed the line and hit my car, so you need to be comprehensively insured". No concern or consideration, no situational awareness. Cops won't do anything, as the Australian system is kinda broken in that regard; you can have go-pro footage (I don't) of a car taking all kinds of incoming lane/road rage etc , and it police force do not action the.

A few weeks back I was commuting home by bike when I saw a car road rage a motorcycle for filtering past him (legal in most Australian states, grey area in south Australia); first driving forward and hitting his rear tire, then when the lights went green he caught up to and passed the motorcycle, swerving in front of him and locking his brakes causing the bike to hit him from behind. Driver drove off leaving the rider in the ground in the middle of the road. I jumped off my bike to provide first aid, move him off the road; while we were waiting for a tow truck and in the phone with the police, four witnesses showed up and provided details of both themselves as well as registration plate number of the road rager and description of the driver. When told over the phone that attempted vehicular murder had occurred and the road rage had departed the scene of the crime, but that there were full details and witnesses on-site, the police here said to drop by a police station in a few days and report it, as it was a minor traffic accident and there are no injuries. They did not attend.

Country's pretty similar to South Africa; racist and incompetent/broke. We have a veneer of authenticity, but unless you're committing a focus point/big ticket crime (speeding, 'coward punch'/king hit, other media crime de jour) our system ends up quietly mishandling and dropping cases in the back end.

All of these incidents in QLD would have been chased up and prosecuted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Coydog posted:

Some guy called my WR250x a "clown bike" once. People hate fun themselves.

I had someone ask me why I'm still riding that "lovely little orange dirtbike" the other day.

That's my 690smc.

-_-