Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there literally no burden of proof in New Zealand or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh, yes, this is why I always have my papers in order. I have gotten out of quite a few tickets thanks to having all of my info readily available, unlike most bikers. Only break one law at a time and all that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Everyone should just get whoever does the KTM commercials to do any and all bike scenes.

Content: I am really frustrated with myself for dropping my bike so often. By my count, couple mph or stopped, I've dropped the bike 5 times since the beginning of October. Seems like most people only drop twice. Of course, right after I get the shiny yoshimura installed this weekend, I slip the 5th time this morning. Forgot my entrance is always slippery and the tires are ice cold. OF COURSE it falls on the right side and scrapes the rivets/end of the exhaust.

I'm glad I got a solid used bike to do all this on, but it just sucks to be an above average klutz with this. my bike deserves better. Didn't seem like coredump ever dropped it. This is all avoidable stuff mostly.

This is going to sound weird but you're probably putting down your foot too early. You try and get your foot down before the bike has stopped, it moves your foot a few inches back and all of the sudden your hips are in front of your toes and you have effectively zero leverage, and then it's really easy to drop the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

gonna drop it and poo poo pinecones in anger for weeks.

Now every time someone asks me why they should buy a used bike I'm going to use this phrase, it's so fitting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

It's sounds like George R.R. Martin or something.

It's just your low standards :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lol what i just

how

hahahaha

that's so terrible

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The_Raven posted:

Geez, that doesn't narrow it down much, does it? I spent some time in the South Bay a few years ago, I liked it a lot, but holy poo poo is it expensive, worse than Boston which is saying something. Those roads up in the hills are amazing though, Monterey, PCH, Big Sur... I could go on. Yep, that's probably where we're heading, although the Texas hill country is almost bordering on normal and a lot cheaper to live.

Most of texas is hot as gently caress though. The Bay Area is expensive as poo poo, but the wages are higher to match for many job areas (good luck affording to living here if you don't work in tech or whatever though, unless you're willing to live in some pretty sketchy areas and the cost of living is still ruinous). And we have true year round riding weather all the time, so, that helps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I basically meant "don't move to Socal because it sucks balls and I miss NorCal so much it hurts." Plus there isn't much North of the Bay besides Humboldt County.

And a billion miles (maybe not quite a billion) of beautiful roads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Day Man posted:

Don't move to northern California. Its the worst and I desperately want out. Year round riding is nice, but being constantly broke no matter how hard you work sucks balls.

THIS IS THE LAND OF OPPOURTUNITY IF YOU'RE NOT BOOTSTRAPPING YOUR STARTUP IN YOUOR PARENTS COFFEE SHOP WHY DO YOU EVEN THINK YOU DESERVE TO BE HERE. YOU HAVE ALL THE CHANCES YOU NEED TO ACHIEVE LITERALLY ANYTHING ELON MUSK HYPERTUBE GENTRIFICATION SNAPCHAT MULTIHEADED SOCIAL MEDIA INTERFACE

*dies via slipping on the poo poo slicked steps of a BART escalator while posting on svbtle about how to bootstrap the homeless getting their poo poo together with social media*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wouldn't work for 92k a year in modesto. gently caress that. Yeah, it's an hour and a half from yosemite, but honestly, wasting your time working a job you hate in an area you hate just isn't loving worth it, unless you're making like, enough money to cause a permanent change in your life in the long run. Not working for 3 years is great until you realize that in the long run, you're just extra hosed - now you're 4 years older, no income, no savings, no closer to retirement savings or any sort of fiscal stability, 3 years off work, so good luck getting another job.

The reason it might be valuable is work experience - early on, that can be worth far more in returns in the long run than anything else. But honestly, usually jobs like that are "92k list rate *with 58k bonus that no one has ever seen but is theoretically possible if you work at least 7300 hours this year*.

Now if it's 250k+, yeah, that might start to get into being worth it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 24, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plz don't php shame.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you don't use playlists or time on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta

It's amazing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

We have their David Beckham ad in our list of videos to post

I love that every hipster bike video has some moment with an angle grinder spraying sparks, even when they're supposedly doing repairs on the side of the road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Post about riding, don't ride cause I'm postin.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

Ryobi One? Yeah I guess if you like radioactive, carcinogenic cheap plastic tools made by lawyers and accountants. I prefer to use my vintage Black & Decker, built buy manly men back when people actually used tools to build things.

Also, dear lord, I think I found a hipster tools website. (I should have guessed this is exactly what I'd find when I searched for "vintage angle grinder")
http://www.flamingsteel.com/my-vintage-tool-collection.php

I...wow. That is a loving thing, jesus.

flamingsteel

Godspeed, you can indeed throw down a bead, sir.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Skidmarks and Skidmarks.

The SkidMarx

quote:

Now once I got really into vintage tools I quickly realized that I wanted everything in my studio to be vintage right down to the smallest details. At the same time though I did not want anything in here that I was not going to use at least eventually. Finding a few NOS cases of old Elephant Brand pencils was a real score. The erasers are dead but the pencils are fine!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You missed "accountants" - 15 times.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Skidmarks and Kid Marxists

Captures the SA demographic to a T

Do you support income redistribution, comrade?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

Well, this is a total score. A photographer friend was doing some UrbEx in a decomissioned refinery and found these vintage 55 gallon drums in an old warehouse (no doubt left there when some lawyer or accountant decided it was too expensive to be useful). I can't quite make out what they say because the amazing patina has faded some of the words printed on the side, but it's something like "keto.e". Whatever it is in there is a really amazing degreaser, great for cleaning up abused vintage tools and greasy hands... you have to be careful though because it can remove the patina. I got some on my carcinogenic plastic Ryobi I was going to discard, and it completely melted the plastic. Didn't do a thing to the real steel tools though. Far better than the wimpy modern "citrus degreaser" I had in the studio. It smells proper, not like some cheap carcinogenic air freshener some accountant would use to make his kitchen smell pretty.

Poe's Law stamping on my face, forever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I guess it just drives home you'll never fail by marketing to the bottom 30%.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh I thought it was a quote from the hipster tool site. :downs: I didn't bother reading all of that site because by the fourth paragraph my brain was about ready to pack its bags and jump ship.

It took me doing a quick find on his website to verify it wasn't real. Thusly the Poe's Law comment.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

YOSPOS is p good if you've ever lived as a computer janitor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I work with computers.

Which mostly means I spend a lot of time making documents that no one will ever read.

(just like my posts ololol)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ Also this. Someone noted that I have read all posts in CA. I can't help it, gotta click them all.

Xovaan posted:

I read all of your posts fyi

I'm sorry.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Engineer/IT riders really piss me off.

One of them self hatin' motorcyclists, eh?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nah the cops didn't get involved. Dealing with insurance over $50 worth of damage isn't worth it because it'd bollock the no-claims bonus over basically nothing. The woman had no insurance, so gently caress her. No sympathy; when I'm ancient I certainly won't be driving if I'm that inept.

Girly's wrist is sore so she'll go get it checked out tomorrow on the government's dollar.

It's crazy - here you'd have to make a claim just so uninsured motorist insurance would cover the bills.

Glad she's ok and still cool with riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Turn zx10 into sweet uberboat, ride across the ocean to san Francisco and come hang out or some poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

We shall see how it goes on Thursday. My poo poo wasn't the worst that happened that night so it'll be fine.

Flee to California, its the only valid choice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450725

Some choice quotes:

quote:

If you ONLY apply pressure the inside handlebar but don't change your body position at all, you'll lean the bike over underneath you - and pretty much continue going straight.

quote:

Push on a Handle bar..That's for noobs in MSF...They have to start them somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Z3n, why are you touching that poop.

It is too close to me not to touch.

It is me, i am the poop :(
Edit:

quote:

[countersteering is] enough to move your front wheel right by a foot or two before the bike starts turning left.

Jesus christ.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 1, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I could go riding today but it's like only 55 degrees and I'd have to put on my heated vest or be a bit cold and that just sounds like a lot of work.

Also my aerostitch is still a bit wet from riding home from gokarting int he rain last night so uh yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armchair Calvinist posted:

It's 70 and sunny. I'm not going riding because there was a draft in the shade in my backyard and decided instead to stay inside and make barbecue baked chicken breasts.

I'll probably leave at some point if I continue to witness sun and no wisps of clouds but with this SoCal weather you just never know, you know??

Better safe than sorry, you know, buddy? Wouldn't want to go out and be distracted by the potential of rain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Check your eternal spring privilege

Yup, still there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

^^^Where are you finding Supercorsas in our skinny front tire size? Seems like the only 110 tires I can find are in the UK.

Between the rain last week and being in the horrid Inland Empire for work this week it's been like, I don't know, 6 days since I've ridden. I am getting cranky. Really cranky.

Ebay - but they're rare. I'm doing a swap to avoid that poo poo on the CB1.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I haven't been on a motorcycle in a month.

The last time I went on my Bandit the mirror started buzzing so wildly that my girlfriend could hear the rattle over my unbaffled Holeshot exhaust system from 50 feet away on her Ninja.

Also my right fork seal is leaking and fixing it will be expensive and a pain in the rear end (no stand so I'd need to either take it to a shop or buy one, and the shop said they'd only do it if they did a full fork oil change as well). :geno:

You can just put a floor jack under the exhaust or a solid part of the cases with the bike on the sidestand and get the front forks off that way. I do that quite often.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

She's been under a huge amount of pressure and said sorry and admitted she was being an idiot. So that's that.

What happened was the motorway was reduced to one lane due to a prior crash. Traffic went from 100 to zero very quickly. Despite this, she had more than enough time to stop etc (she's a very good driver, driving is her job) but when she tried, she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey. Our car is completely totalled, and she had cancelled the insurance on it for *reasons*. Hooray!

At least the wrecker will give me $400 for it, so that's something. Currently she's riding the Hyosung to work and I'm rocking the ninja, a situation that is untenable long-term so the scramble is on to get a cheap car.

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

lovely, dude. I'm a few years older than you, and I can see how a couple of random key events are all that seperated me from being in the same boat - getting lucky with the people I met who helped me get jobs that gave me a leg up and then using that leg up to get a bit farther ahead. Keep working at it - you might feel like a massive failure but from over here, having no real debt is a huge success for you. You can still work so that will help you crawl out of that mess you feel like you're under. PM me if you need someone to chat with when you feel overwhelmed. It'll be ok :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I routinely see people come into work with a 5-6 year old car and when we tell them it'll take well into four digits to repair whatever is wrong with it they just slam down the cash without blinking. People with children and seemingly ordinary jobs driving random Korean and Japanese cars worth 10-15k on the used market. It just makes no sense, it really is like they're in some club I'm unaware of.

Just remember, nearly everyone doing that poo poo is in debt to the loving hilt.

I was friends with some people who ran a dealership near a military base and holy gently caress, some of the stories they had...20k GSX-R 600s (after mods) on loan with 20% interest and poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Your PM inbox is overwhelmed :colbert:

no u :(

It's fixed :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That's a...relief to hear, I guess. I can't actually picture myself 10 years from now at all, there's just this event horizon, like the lip of a waterfall, somewhere a couple of years from now.

Neither can I, haha. I'm in a completely different place now than I thought I would have been 10 years ago, and I figure I'll be in a completely different place than I expected in 10 years. The first thing you learn is all plans are inevitable unrealistic and probably poo poo :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/4387890658.html

quote:

1999 TL 1000R DYNOED 187 HORSEPOWER V-TWIN TRADE OR CASH BEST OFFER - $2500

15,000 MILES FULL D&D TITANIUM EXHAUST ,NEW TIRES,BRAKES,NEW CHAIN,NEW SPOCKETS,PERFECT SEATS,STEERING STABLIZER,NEW BATTERY, POWER COMMANDER,DYNO-ED 187 HORSEPOWER, TWO WINDSHIELDS, BIKE COVER & RAIN SNOW COVER,EXTRA PARTS,WILL INCLUDE FRESH YELLOW PAINT JOB ON BIKE FACTORY COLORS,
CALL 360-485-9905