Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Seeing a car in the oncoming lane of a back road almost wreck is now one of the most terrifying things I've seen while riding. A guy in his Audi must have been doing over 60, hit a crest with a slight turn that unloaded his suspension and spit the car sideways. I'm really glad he saved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of dumb drivers, do you guys have people wave you through stop signs before you get a chance to stop? It seems like 90% of the time I get to an intersection with another car, they give me the "go ahead" wave. I know some are just being nice, but it's really weird when they're waving like crazy and I haven't even gotten to the sign yet.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I know CT drivers are the worst, but I never noticed this waving thing as much before this year. It's at intersections out in the middle of nowhere with no other cars around too.

CT isn't Russia bad, but this isn't that surprising anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kko2zLYqMjQ

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I see people straddling the center line all the time, in all kinds of traffic situations. I don't know if they're just oblivious or if they're in fact not aware of how wide their vehicle is.

It's especially fun when those people actually do have wide vehicles on narrow roads:

:911:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I definitely just heard someone ride by my house on a Goldwing (not a Harley since the exhaust was silent) with the Pink Panther theme blasting.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Regardless of what I'm on, there's always people trying to beat me away from lights, and I just love hearing some guy flooring it in his Honda Odyssey to get ahead of me and turn into Walmart.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Giant parades of loud vehicles are the norm here though, it's not uncommon to see a motorcade with someone important in it block traffic for 15 minutes.

The 9/11 ride that went by my house was about 2300 bikes and that took half an hour. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a group bigger than that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad that some people like motorcycles, but they need to stay on their side of the road:

I guess it's time for a new GoPro if neither his face nor license plate was visible.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure it was someone in AI that said this, but I always think of it with the "own your lane" thing

John Pastor posted:

I assume that anyone following me closely and driving erratically is challenging my vehicular dominance, accelerate to 120 mph and begin driving even more erratically than they could ever manage.

I am the alpha driver.

And there's probably people who would do that unironically

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Since I guess this is the bitching and moaning thread, what the gently caress is up with god drat nerds on reddit naming their bikes. Holy gently caress that's lame, I saw one today where some guy named his bike Audrey.

It's probably the same nerds who name their guns.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Do you guys celebrate Valentine's Day with your bikes too? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvxs22JJUJs

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's my favorite lovely driver and intersection combo:

The road coming from the left is an interstate exit ramp. I was in the middle lane, and notice a car to my left with his left blinker on. My friend and I laugh and I figure he left it on from the highway somehow. The light turns green, and he takes a left turn onto the road coming from the top. That road is a one way that people usually drive pretty quick on. I lost sight of him, so I don't know whether he was trying to get back on the highway or just stupid. Luckily it was like 11 at night so the road was empty.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Every time someone asks me how fast my bike is, I just answer "fast enough :c00l:". Dumb question gets a dumb answer, and no one's ever called me out on it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think I've ever had someone who actually rides ask me how fast my bike is. The people who do are those who have no car or bike interest, and I assume are just trying to think of something to ask.

FormatAmerica posted:

Lately I've been dealing with a lot of people who pull out into ~*~*~THEIR LANE~*~*~*~ just to not make it all the way in and block adjacent lanes of traffic, sometimes for multiple lights.

I do my best to angrily filter and wheelie past them, but I doubt that helps long term.Take the 15 seconds to go the wrong way and U-turn, fuckfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's also the people who ask me "But what do your parents think about you riding?" like it matters. They're very surprised when I tell them my dad's a mechanic and my parents encouraged me.

(my dad is way cooler than I am if you guys haven't figured out from the pictures I occasionally post)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Protip: Watch On Any Sunday when you start feeling bored or something with riding

Protip 2: Don't watch On Any Sunday if you can't ride anytime soon

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You joke, but last weekend there was a big scare at my local mall because some teenagers got into a brawl and someone yelled gun.

And that mall used to be a race track :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Somebody was posting Ghillieman like two years ago here. Catch up, reddit :rolleyes:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Attention HNasty and Rev. Dr. Moses P Lester:

Asphalt and Rubber just posted your blog to facebook

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Fly away, nerds. I'm an engineer :smug:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I probably should have put mechanical there too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Everyone got jokes, write something about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT75kh0W7Nw I know Bellstaff is prob hurting for bidness and selling waxed cotton to hipsters is super easy but, c'mon man. This is ridic.

Something about David Beckham going around a field aimlessly at a jogging pace

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I use a DE safety razor-- same with my girlfriend. It's really the only way to prevent razor burn for both of us. I love my Merkur :shobon:

Even with a pure badger brush and Trumper's coconut cream, I've broken even on my shaving bill about a year ago compared to prices of disposables since Astra Super Plats are only like $0.05 for three shaves :yayclod:

I've been wetshaving a few years too. I'm faster with a disposable or electric, but it just feels awful. I keep it cheap with Proraso stuff though.

I still need to find a local barber that can do a real shave.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I move to Virginia, and it immediately starts snowing/icing as I unload my DRZ from the truck. I moved south to avoid this :argh:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Silly, probably unfeasible business idea that popped into my head: Get people to pay you to ride their bike for the first 1000 mile "break-in" period, assuming you take it and just trash on it for 1000 miles

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cycle World had a test recently where they gave a desert racer a KTM with ABS and ran some tests. He was stopping a good 5 feet shorter with ABS, and more consistently. Not that magazine tests are the pinnacle of science, but I figure if a pro racer is getting an advantage from ABS, then it's gotta be good.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:siren:I SAW THAT GUY THE OTHER DAY!:siren:

I'm not joking. It was a black bike, not a red one, and it looked like a junior-sized 125cc dirt bike of some description with a white placard where the headlight goes and no road gear whatsoever. He was riding along the footpath past the shops which are directly in front of the railway footbridge that I supposedly rode over. No helmet etc. I called the non-urgent police line and they told me they'd look into it.

Eagerly awaiting the post when the cops show up saying they got a phone call that you were riding down that footpath.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hot sauce posted:

I don't have kids but have thought about whether I'd give up riding if I do end up having some. I understand you can't just stop living your life, but how do you rationalize the extra risk?

By being a cool dad :c00lbert:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

There are a -lot- of places in CT that don't take credit cards. Usually a gas station will have an ATM, though.

I was surprised a couple times when the attendants looked at me stupid when I tried to pay with cash before filling up.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress steel grate deck bridges, and especially gently caress whoever put them in the middle of the interstate.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I swear I've gone over other ones before and not had a problem, so I don't know if it was the bridges or my DRZ's skinny front tire. But I've also crossed them in my car and felt it grab the wheels more than other times.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Rt 32 between 197 and 50 is preeeeetty nice too for anyone keeping track.

I rode through somewhere in that general area last summer, and I can't remember exactly where even looking at the map. I know I went between 22 and I think cut over to 30 in Vermont (eventually getting to 7A), and those were some beautiful roads.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It's also pretty funny because it's a Navy-heavy area, and Navy riders tend to be pretty ATGATT, so it's either A: shorts, a-shirt, nothing else or B: full face with armored clothing, there's doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

All the Navy guys I see only have the minimum of what they're required, so usually a helmet, gloves, and whatever they call the blue camo uniform.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been noticing my DRZ gets less "That looks fast" comments and more "That looks fun to run from the cops on" comments.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there still an IRC channel? I want to hang out with the cool kids

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

I know it's not the only bike that has this but WTF Kawasaki for designing a stupid axle nut that requires a 22mm hex key that I pretty much need to specially order a single hex socket bit to remove it. I do have the motion pro hex axle tool but it doesn't work for removing the nut because it wont insert all the way to to the 22mm section. I know theres ways around it like using a long 22mm nut and wrenching it off but gently caress it. Guess the front dunlop Q3 can wait a couple days.

They didn't put something in your toolkit? My Buell came with a hex key that was specifically for that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I am not enjoying working on my bike outside like the unwashed masses (mosquitoes :argh:). I think I need to start mooching garage space off friends.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Hahaha I doubt this. Every single piece of media I've seen in my life indicates american city roads are insanely wide, with every gigantic vehicle still having a large air gap around it in lanes, parking spots, freeway lanes and turn-offs.

This is America:

:911:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And as can be seen in the photo, it works about as well as the rest of the Buell electrics!

It's confused by trees and clouds. And it's the old school kind that you have to load up separate maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Traffic law should take a hit from boating and make it so smaller, more maneuverable vehicles give way to the big, slow ones.