Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In the US, any talk about making access to driving more difficult is regressive because we absolutely do not have any legitimate sort of transportation alternatives in most places.

Toe Rag posted:

Have actual licensing and examination on a regular interval. I haven’t had to take a driving test since I was 15 (including getting my motorcycle license).

Haha you think people have a license??? Or insurance??? In this economy???

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wonder if both of you are talking about the minivan or the off-road vehicle or both?

Schrodinger’s Odyssey

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What is your favorite shape of man hole

New title imo

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nothing fills me with rage more effectively than people acting like cops on the road about motorcycles.

AZ passed legal splitting in stopped traffic which goes into effect September ??? (90 days after legislative session ends or something?) and can't wait for all the people blowing their lids when motorcycles start to do it legally. If I die in a road rage incident it will be from getting shot after taking someone's mirror off when they decide they just can't abide those bikes getting around them.

I can’t find a solid date on this for some reason. I saw a bike filtering this weekend though and it reminded me that it’s finally happening. I can’t decide if it’s worth waiting at all or just to do it. A month or two extra isn’t going to make people any more “used to it” than now.

Also, utility covers chat:

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 6, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's my first bike, a Softail Street Bob

They are celebrating the future insurance repairs they'll get to do

But it's ~ the lightest weight Bob ~

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Uhhh yeah no pictures of me on some random's phone from some random dealership, what the christ. And I'm sure as poo poo not hand shaking 20 people now or ever.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GN125 BBQ Edition

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Drivers in the greater Portland area are generally very bad. I'm not sure if it's a lack of proper drivers Ed or what.
Lane awareness, left vs right lane, going 5 under in the passing lane while keeping pace with the right lane so no one can pass.
Maybe this personal anecdote explains a small part of it: I work at a tech company that also has facilities in India. The Indian engineers come over here quite often for project support and other miscellaneous things.
I go out with them for fun stuff when I can - they know the best Indian restaurants in town and we go to museums or whatever. I've taken a couple of them out to the woods on my dirt bikes. This often involves driving and we got to talking about driving in the US. Pretty much all of them agreed that driving here was not a good experience for them. They didn't know the local laws and it was different from their local laws. They got a rental at the airport and were just expected to find their way around.
That gave me a new perspective on traffic and I've been trying hard to be more patient.

There's no such thing as a "passing lane" on a two lane (in one direction) stroad/road though. That's a highway thing. Because both of the lanes are technically "service" lanes depending on if you need to exit right or left off it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You could just do it anyway and flaunt the law.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty posted:

I wish it wasn't such a watered down lane filtering bill. I am sure it would be awesome for people using the freeways and highways to commute, but that is the only use case of that bill.

This is not what lane filtering means. Filtering is up to a traffic signal while traffic is stopped or has mostly stopped.

You’re talking about lane splitting (like legal in California) and that will never pass in another state.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What do you mean by normal roads?

We had this same kind of bill pass in AZ last year. Riding across town is so much easier now. I think we agree on definitions and such actually, I’m just confused about what you’re after. Do you want the California type of lane splitting? Because sounds like you want to filter up to a light which is exactly what the bill offers from what you said?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh wow haha, that’s totally weird. Can’t believe AZ did this more correctly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Bikes are fun and all that, but when your only vehicle is a bike and your car is on jack stands and you are riding around town for tools and car parts it's not a happy time. 🙃

Sounds like a top box would cure your ails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good decision making.