Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

No poo poo, you can't even go for a ride on the weekend because every other stupid oval office has taken his bike out the garage for the day and brought the police with him to all the good roads that aren't full of Doris going antiquing, it's terrible! Then you get squiddy mcgee, and Dr. Harley Dentistron, and a convoy of tourists going to ace café who've never ridden in traffic before, when you have actual poo poo to do, don't get me started!

This, I've started either going out at about half six on a Sunday morning or half seven in the evening. Any other time of the day is a loving nightmare.

I was following two dudes through some of my favourite twisties earlier and in between corners they'd get up to ludicrous speeds then loving park it for each of the turns. On the really twisty section one of the twats nearly had me in the back of him when he decided to jump on the brakes halfway through a corner!

For reference it was this corner. We're coming from A > B. I'd given him a bunch of space going into A then caught him as he leant in to B. About halfway round he panics and slams the brakes on running way wide. I managed to tighten my turn and go round the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Oh my loving God! How long does it take to decide if you're going to replace a loving zip or not!

TCX have had my boots for nearly two weeks now trying to decide if they're going to replace the zip on one of my boots.

I've not been off the bike for this long since I binned it last year and had to wait for a new radiator :(

Wankers!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Oh my loving God! How long does it take to decide if you're going to replace a loving zip or not!

TCX have had my boots for nearly two weeks now trying to decide if they're going to replace the zip on one of my boots.

I've not been off the bike for this long since I binned it last year and had to wait for a new radiator :(

Wankers!

Quoting myself so I can retract this. While I was busy ranting yesterday it turns out they'd already sent me a brand new pair of boots without letting anyone know.

So the dudes at TCX are awesome even if they're a little bit crap at keeping in touch!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I think there's a difference between a group ride and riding with friends. I'm lucky enough to live and work near some awesome roads so get to dong it up on my own whenever the mood takes me.

At the weekends I love nothing more than going for a ride with friends because when I stop I actually have someone to chat too. We all ride at different paces but that's never caused a problem, the quicker guys bugger off up the road and us land tortoises catch them up eventually.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

MoraleHazard posted:

I think in some countries the tradition is to drive with only the parking lights on roads with streetlights. I know Kuwaitis did that from experience. When I'm in the car, I'll tend to only use the parking lights during the day, if it's raining or whatnot. Maybe it's because my eyes are sensitive, but that wall of headlights on the highway at night for me is not fun.

I have the same problem, it makes riding / driving at night awful, especially in the rain :(

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Bugdrvr posted:

I thought my eyes were sensitive and got blinded as poo poo from oncoming lights but it turns out I have astigmatism and with corrective lenses night driving is no problem now.

I... am due a check up and will mention this, thanks.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

infraboy posted:

I'm still stupidly astounded by how long it takes people to even accelerate to the speed limit from a stoplight sometimes and even on-ramps to the freeway.

A thousand times this. My local Asda has on on ramp onto a national speed limit dual carriage way. The amount of oldies that trundle up to the top of it at about twenty miles an hour and then stop blows the mind.

This is it!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Just don't fall off :D

Fake edit:
(Or grenade another engine!)

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Argh! I dropped my bloody helmet in the changing room at work this morning and all the loving vents and one of the visor mounts snapped off.

I've never even so much as bumped the loving thing in the three years before this :(

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What sort of helmet is it so I know to never buy one?

It was a Shark S700. In fairness the floor is concrete and I somehow managed to launch it downwards from head height as I took it off.

To an outside observer it probably looked like I just decided to go ULTIMATE JAZZ HANDS! halfway through taking it off.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah I was planning an upgrade at three end of the year to an Arai, I tried one on at the bike show last year and it was like having my head cuddled by pillows.

Unfortunately I can't justify laying out that kind of cash at the moment so I'm looking at either a Shark Speed-R or an AGV Veloce. I've borrowed a mates helmet for the next couple of days as her bike is in winter hibernation. Who knew that having fairweather friends can occasionally come in useful?!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

n8r posted:

Get a Shoei Qwest

I probably would do but their patterns are boring as poo poo.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Eh, my local is shop's pretty good, did my chain and sprockets for less than I could find to buy them for and fixed an issue I had with my front brake for nothing.

I recommend him to everyone!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

... disaster ...

Man that sounds horrific, really sorry you had to go through all that. Rather than a phone number thing what about a Facebook group?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I'm probably the only CA'er in England's frozen north (Leeds) but I'd be up for lending a hand to anyone stranded up here.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

adary posted:

not matter how hot it is i will have some protective gear (and it sure gets hot here).

My rant for the day: finally nice weather, not too hot, and I'm sick ...

Same here, though my sick is entirely self inflicted. Too much beer in the sunshine yesterday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

It's not a big deal, and you do look out for them, it's just increased workload, that's all. Instead of only having to actively check one side of you, you have to check both. M4 J3 and J4 are a couple of examples off the top of my head, where you have traffic merging onto the motorway from the left, and traffic in the right lane looking for their exit (Heathrow spur or M25) on the left. That cross-flow means it's just better to be in the rightmost lane until you're past it, or your exit comes up.

The eastbound Manchester ring road is the same. It's a complete cluster gently caress of the M62, M60 and M6 merging. If you just want to stay on the M62 it's a thousand times safer to just sit in the right hand lane and watch the madness unfold.