Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Autorotation? Helicopters are designed so that the main rotor can spin freely if the engine shits the bed. Air moving up through the rotor of the falling helicopter is enough to spin the blades and create lift, and the tailrotor doesn't need to be engaged here because no real torque is transmitted to the helicopter like during powered flight. So in theory the helicopter can sort of flutter down to the ground.

(In practice there's other poo poo that can go wrong, like the rotors getting hosed up. I imagine a helicopter suffers even a partial loss of one blade worse than an airplane suffers loss of some of the wing area.)

Meanwhile gliding aircraft have forward speed that has to get dealt with at some point. It can be too much for a safe landing, or too little to maneuver to secure a safe landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm fast approaching the limits of my knowledge since I'm not a heli pilot, but yeah the speed of autorotation (and therefore descent) should be controllable by the collective.

There's three main controls on a helicopter (plus the throttle): Cyclic, collective, and pedals. The cyclic looks like a flight stick and controls the pitch of individual blades at a certain point around their rotation. This is what makes the helicopter move forward/backward/side-to-side. The collective, down by the side of the seat, changes the pitch of all the blades at once, that's what gets more or less lift and causes the heli to climb or sink. And the pedals work like the rudder in a plane, they control the pitch of the tailrotor (so like a second collective) which is normally always turning to counteract the torque created by the powered main rotor.

I don't know if the cyclic is useable in any significant fashion once you're in autorotation, and I expect that any failure in the controls is about as bad as it would be for the elevators or the ailerons to stop working on a gliding airplane.

I think autogyros don't generally have a collective, but they're naturally autorotating all the time, that's how they work. The rotor isn't powered, only the propeller. Cut the motor and it'll just keep doing what it was already doing. I imagine they're not in more use because they don't offer the true point-to-point flight or hovering of a helicopter or the speed of an airplane.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

n.b.: the tail rotor is geared directly to the main rotor so as long as the main is turning, the tail is too. you're correct that there is far less torque to deal with, but you still need the tail rotor for yaw control. even in autorotation you can use the pedals, which adjust the pitch of the tail rotor, to point the nose.

Ah, my bad. Somehow I got it in my head that the "freewheel" mechanism was for the main rotor only and downstream of the drive for the tail, so that you could have engine stop/freewheeling main/dead tail.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Torquing left-handed threads?

(that was meant to be a silly answer please don't put me on blast)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is this like a medieval punishment where you're forced to ride a Buell blast?

FOR fTEALING FROM THE LORDE OF THE LAND: fEVEN DAYS DAYf ON THE BLAfT

god i was hoping someone would catch that, thank you slavvy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently it's not unusual for Rex rads to crack a little and weep (hell, same), and when it happened to me I smelled antifreeze strongly at the light, and I could still catch whiffs of it at speed, but it wasn't until I smelled it again at a different light that I started to put two and two together. Like, it was unlikely that I'd be right behind two different stinky cars. And then I saw the little chalky streaks from the dried-up coolant.

Being a few hundred meters back of a roofing tar truck was an entirely different experience, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Tu250 doesn't get even close to the slowest you sweet summer child you. Chinese bikes exist!

The slowest bike that's still worthy of being called a bike, then

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That Pacific heat bubble has also settled over where I live, and I can't bring myself to get on the bike. It's gonna be 36 out there today. Maybe once it's back down to the high 20s.

When the heat breaks I bet the thunderstorm is going to be tremendous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rad

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do y'all deal with the people in cars who want to be "nice" and let you pass by moving over to the shoulder?

The times I've been able to take advantage of their generosity are far outweighed by the times I didn't feel comfortable passing because I couldn't see far enough ahead to know what was oncoming, and then I end up passing a minute later once they've gotten fed up and are back in the middle of the lane

I swear, if I could staple a big neon sign to my windscreen that said "I can pass you any time I like, please just drive normally thanks" I would do that

But backwards, obviously, like ECNALUBMA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

don't let other people make driving decisions for you

Well yeah, obviously. It's just frustrating.

Had this driven in once again a couple weeks ago, person in front of me did the "I'm helping" thing going into a blind right hand, and against my better judgement I started to take them up on it. No sooner did I start to roll on the throttle than an oncoming car appeared and I immediately dropped back.

And I'm not going to pass them in the lane no matter how much room they leave me, all I need is for the driver to see some broken glass on the shoulder and decide to swerve to save their tires

(On the much rarer occasions where someone's actually pulled over and come to a near or total stop, I'll wave exuberantly.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh, nothing like getting trapped behind a garbage truck in 30° weather

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Just vommed on my mouth a little

Yeah I had to force myself not to, only woulda made it worse

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Yeah I had to force myself not to, only woulda made it worse

"Chain reaction" is probably the more applicable term here but the thought of a grody smell causing someone to barf out the bottom of their helmet suggests the phrase "cascade failure"

Now its time for lunch!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of my usual commute to work is an elevated 2-lane on-ramp to the city's main freeway. (Going down in elevation because the freeway runs through an ancient river valley.) This morning I found out that some jackwagon approved a chipseal repair to the cracked pavement down the lane divider in the middle of the road. There's a "LOOSE CHIPS" sign, then nothing for a bit, then the chipseal is the exact same color as the road surface. I didn't know it was there until my bike got squirrelly when I changed lanes, and I was looking for the chipseal.

Loose chips in the middle of the road, on a curving, downhill, elevated on-ramp, where people are accelerating when there's little traffic, has got to be a fatal highside risk and I'm actually kind of incensed about it. Someone could legit get killed by this and I'm gonna phone the city's 311 line later this morning.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 12, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Turns out the onramp is the province's jurisdiction, not the city, and a private company contracts out for the work, so I phoned and emailed the person who looks like they are the provincial governmental contact for the department cause screw trying to tell a company they're loving up.

Guess I'll see if I get any response. Maybe shoulda called the local buttrock radio station about it too. They can be kinda chuddy but they do alert drivers to photoradar.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can start/run in gear with the kickstand down and clutch in, but if I try pulling away, then I get an ignition cut. Which seems weird!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Totally normal, that's what clutch switches are for. It's belt and suspenders safety.

By comparison, Suzuki are lazy and won't let you start the bike except with the clutch pulled

I actually just spent some time looking at the wiring diagram trying to figure out what the gently caress, and couldn't figure out what the "starter lockout switch" on the left handlebar cluster was. I guess that's the clutch switch!

Also it's been a while since I sold my Strom, guess I didn't remember that it had to clutch in to start whether it was in gear or not.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Phy Is A Dolt post:

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed my gas gauge was almost at zero so I flipped the petcock over at a light, to make sure I wasn't going to have to monkey with it in traffic

When I left work and on the way to get gas, the engine started sucking poo poo. (actually air. It started sucking air. Ran out of gas.) But I didn't think I'd ran it that much longer since I flipped the gas over! I was already in the parking lot of the gas station so I walked it like 20 feet before I thought, hey, wait a minute. And I bent down and actually looked at the petcock.

That's right, I'd had it in RES in the morning and flipped it back to ON. I cursed myself out and put it back in RES and rode the last 50 feet to the pump.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge or anything but browsing through bikebandit's part fiches, it looks like Kawasaki was doing that with some of their bikes in the 90s, including the ZRX.

The Rex actually has a gas gauge but lacks a temp gauge. There's an aftermarket temp gauge that replaces the gas gauge in the dash.

Also I found this while I was looking through fiches, the combo gas/temp gauge on the mid 90s zx9r:

The picture in the fiche made it look a lot more yin-yangy, missed opportunity imo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Welcome to Ontario!

I pay a fair chunk more than I would in (some of) the states, but between the relatively low insurance compared to BC and ON, the near total lack of inspections, and the mountain access, I gotta say AB is a good place to own an old motorcycle

Downside: the roads are laser straight everywhere else and also I'm surrounded by Bertans, fuckin Christ help me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, Mississauga is part of the GTA megalopolis, so imma defer to my Ontarian compatriots as I'm no more than an infrequent visitor.

E: "What's riding like in Canada" is about as answerable a question as "What's riding like in the US". The laws are generally the same across the country, though double check on things like being able to pass on the right. I can do it all day, so can Ontarians, I dunno about Quebec. I think Quebecers can't turn right on a red.

As for the roads... TO is just north of Buffalo. I'm a few hours north of Glacier National Park in Montana. There's a lot of Canada!

Riding's fantastic in BC (think Washington/Oregon) when it's not burning to the ground, except that if they catch you doing more than 40 km/h over, they impound your bike for a few days. Another goon and I separately end up riding a pretty similar loop out there every year or so, except he flies out of Ontario to do it and I just throw my tent on the back of the bike. The Prairie provinces are like the Midwest, especially Saskabush. There's an old joke about how if your dog runs away out there you can watch him for a couple of days. I assumed there was some fun stuff out in ON and Quebec cause its older, but there's also driving through cities and highways to get to it. The 401 is insane unless you're coming from LA or Atlanta or some poo poo. I spent a weekend driving around Nova Scotia 15 years ago and it was lovely, but I was also told it was one of the few times that year it wasn't raining.

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 10, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Prior to that clip I had been doing 12-15 over in the left lane and there were still people behind me. When I could I switched back to the right lane and slowed a bit with the idea of letting faster traffic pass.

I get that I'm a pussy for letting cagers pass me but I don't really see the point of risking a huge speeding ticket on a boring highway to prevent it.

I have learned that no matter how fast you go, you'll always get a white F350 a yard off your rear tire with the driver drumming his fingers on the loving steering wheel

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Were you in a barbershop quartet?

I wondered what the hell this was about

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I met a dude with a plated R once, years ago when I was still on my klr

He seemed to like it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish. I already had my helmet off and was on my way inside.

Was there a "No Danzigs Allowed" sign by the till

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

I'm the one with the top speed, the Rex can beat it handily

(whatever that number is, I was brushing against it last night trying to make the ferry... Made it like a minute before they pushed off, they were just locking the gates on the boat)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It does

And I doubt I'm ever going to see it, when I said I was brushing up against a speed I meant mine

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's approximately 265kmh indicated, hth

Just circling back to this cause I wasn't looking at my gauges when you posted, but my speedometer actually does go up to 260.

Unlike a Quebecer at the beach, Kawi gives you exactly enough speedo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

But manhole covers are round because there's no way to orient the lid that it can fall through the hole.

We need more rouleaux triangle manholes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I remember splitting down the Gardiner in Toronto one time when I could see the evil eye being given to me in the side view mirror of some kind of luxobarge being driven by a crotchety oldish white dude as he slowly inched closer and closer to the line. My dude, you're in the middle lane, a bus could now filter past you on the other side of your car. Thank you though.

You would think anyone who's been in Toronto long enough would recognize the need to have as little mass as possible up on the Gardiner

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

a regular triangle cover also isn't going to fit down its own hole though

It can, the same way you can lose a square cover down its hole. Consider that for an equilateral triangle with sides 2 units long, its height is 1.73 (or square root of 3). Meaning you can turn it vertical, like the square, and then orient it so the height lines up with the side of the hole. 2 - 1.73 = 0.27 units of clearance = one dropped manhole cover.

Of course we're setting aside the effects of cover thickness and support lip depth, because it's trivial to make a manhole "plug" taller than it is wide (and therefore impossible to fit), or to make the lip that supports the cover project so far in that you couldn't fit a toothpick down the hole, let alone the lid.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The weather cooled off this week and it's been my absolute favorite type of days for riding, cool and breezy and slightly overcast with soft rains at night, and my bike's been chained to my house the whole time cause I've been stuck in my bedroom since labor day with fuckin covid

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I slept in a hotel last night instead of camping a third night. I was kind of disappointed in myself, but I can also justify it to myself - it was getting towards the evening and deer-o'clock by the time I made the decision, it'd be another hour to the next site, and I'd been rained on in the cold all day, so I didn't want to push myself and get fatigued (or start today still fatigued). Because fatigue kills motorcyclists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Imo if you decide piloting is not for you because you're worried about your impulse control, you are probably ideally suited to piloting and may well already be a Honda owner

Is this the "Those best suited to wield power are those least likely to seek it" for poo poo What Goes Fast?