Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Deeters posted:

Speaking of dumb drivers, do you guys have people wave you through stop signs before you get a chance to stop? It seems like 90% of the time I get to an intersection with another car, they give me the "go ahead" wave. I know some are just being nice, but it's really weird when they're waving like crazy and I haven't even gotten to the sign yet.

Yeah, and it throws me way the gently caress off. Especially when I know there's someone on the opposite side of the intersection from them that isn't waving me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Milwaukee is hosting the 110th Harley-Davidson anniversary, so expect to hear more from me in this thread.

But to start:
Guys, I get it. You want to ride in a group with all your little harley buddies, all wearing the same patch and making the same exhaust note until my fillings rattle. Cool, whatever.

But when there are 20 of you stretched out over half of a mile of interstate, you need to make some concessions. Namely, you need to loving break the gently caress up and let me in. Like, legally. You have let me merge onto the freeway so I don't end up on the shoulder like almost happened today. Even if it means breaking formation for a couple of minutes.

And that goes for letting in the cager in front of me as well.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Actually I don't think they have to at all. Freeway traffic has right-of-way, entering/merging traffic has to yield.

gently caress me, googling says you're right. I'd heard otherwise somewhere and always assumed that was right. Guess I'm confusing polite with legal again, heh.

But yeah, dick move. Three lanes of freeway and they're in the far right. Patches said "Long Island," pretty sure, so props where it's due just for riding here. Assuming they did.

They actually were staggered, not two abreast at least. Not like I'm going to merge into them either way.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey, you in mke? I'm just north of it. I'm taking the drz down into the heart of the beast this weekend, if for nothing else than to see the sights and the results of a million people in the same place who have never used a front brake before.

Yep. I spent the 100th out in Waukesha, and if my windows were open I could hear the thunder. Ugh. For the 105th I arranged to be out of state for just that reason.
This time I'm accepting the madness: I'll be out riding around these people just for the sneers. I've already had one guy ride past me while refusing to look in my direction. I suppose a bright yellow Ninja 250 is as close to the antithesis of the Harley lifestyle as you can get, especially since I actually wear gear.

And I totally got a wave from a little kid on an overpass who was excited I was on something other than a Harley. Made my day.

Quasi-rant: Harley guy, I know you can converse with your Harley buddies at a stoplight since none of you wear real helmets or hearing protection (or anything protection), but I have on a full helmet and earplugs. I don't care how loud you are, you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. I do hope that wasn't an insult I gave a thumbs-up to.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I swerve around and do lazy s's in my lane. People back off. FAR off. Not sure why they're so afraid. I'm clearly in control.

They think you're drunk or about to fall over. Most folks don't have a clue how motorcycles work.

That or they didn't really register you before you started waggling about. Either way it's a good idea.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Bugdrvr posted:

I never knew (or noticed I guess) that jackets had zippers on different sides.

I'm going to have to check all of mine when I get home. Which is the women side and which is the bro?

Men's clothing button left-over-right, women's button right-over-left. Nobody really knows why. There are a bunch of theories, but they're all stupid.

The zipper side may change US versus everyone else, but buttons sure don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

This terrifies me. I don't know what happens on a motorcycle when a rope gets wrapped around the wheel, but having gone down hard a couple of times on my bicycle as a kid when a dangling backpack strap or something got caught in the spokes, I am religious about not having anything loose and flappy that could get anywhere near the wheels. :ohdear:

Go riding without my 30' white silk scarf!? I'd rather die!