Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mandatory cell phone jammers in every car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Severe penalties don't stop drink driving either, trust me.
It does if we make it carry a death penalty. :getin:

edit: In all seriousness DUI or texting while driving should just be defined as reckless endangerment.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chichevache posted:

What's the word for when two words mean the same thing? Not redundant. It's a bit more of an academic term. I think.
Tautology

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Got a loving parket ticket on the bike, for the first time in the three years I've parked in the same spot. I guess someone was in a bad mood and wanted to pass it on.

Now the question is is it worth fighting over 50 lousy euro or should I just do the Swedish thing and swallow the bitter pill then whine about it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

Depends on whether you were parked illegally or not...
Nope. Was parked in a designated MC parking spot. I hadn't paid the parking fee, but you've never had to in the past because there's no place to put the paid ticket on a bike where it won't get stolen so it's always been one of those "technically you have to pay but we can't enforce it" things.

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the swedish to blame immigrants and/or non-whites for your ticket?
You're thinking of the Danish.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

If I could do something incredibly rangi to make it work, I would have by now :v:
The obvious solution is to cut out a part of the frame to make the pipe fit. :pseudo:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Cricket is by far the worst sport. All of you non-commonwealth people think golf is the worst, but you're wrong. Each match takes days to complete, generates an utterly baffling quantity of numbers and stats (very similar to baseball in this regard), has rules explicitly designed to keep out illiterates and there are usually hours between anything remotely interesting happening. It's also hilariously corrupt. Invented to amuse colonial soldiers in the rear end end of nowhere for days/weeks on end, whilst also being completely inaccessible to the natives. Terrible, terrible lovely sport.
All I know about cricket I learned from Borderlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcHsgYJjHbI

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to own a DeLorean and not be a huge BTTF nerd.

On second thought that's probably the only reason anyone would want a DeLorean.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My front tire is leaking :(

Filled up this morning and checked the tire pressures while I was at it. 1.4 bar in the front. Fill it up to 2.2. Ride on.

Coming back the bike feels a bit squirrely so I check the pressure again and it's fallen to 1.5. :mad:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ripoff posted:

See if you can find someone who can dismount and remount the tire for you after giving the wheel rim a decent cleaning. Sometimes dirt can cause a poor seal between the tire and the wheel. Also, valve stems are cheap so you might not have the worst case scenario!
Hm, I've been riding some dirt roads recently so it's very possible that there's crud stuck between tire and rim. Gonna paint the edge of the rim and the valve with soapy water and see if I can find the leak.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No. 6 posted:

"I know we must look like a bunch of clowns to you."
At least they admit to cocking up, most dealers would just shrug their shoulders and tell you to suck it up.

They'd also leave your dented cans on, hope you don't notice and deny any responsibility when pushed about it. Or tell you it was like that when it came in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Akion posted:

Chained to the brush guard of my truck. Got stolen some time last night.

Just moved last month and was actually going out to go shopping for a disc lock.

:(
Was it insured?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How long until they get sued for the logo?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the Grom isn't a bad bike per se, they only hosed up on the MSRP.

edit: Wheelchat, didn't the earlier V-Rods come with solid wheels?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revmoo posted:

A bird on the adams apple has got to be brutal at 80
I got hit on the adams apple by what was probably a bee or wasp at 50 and that was bad enough.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I want to know why someone painted their sheep with the american flag. I'd change it back but I lost the image for the original one :saddowns:

Was still in my browser cache. :)

Re lanesplitting: Most of the time people here actively move out of the way if they can, which is nice. People still drive like idiots, but so far I haven't had anyone endangering me on purpose.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a fine line between a sting and entrapment.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Yeah but when the dump the car in front of a group of teens with the door open, keys in it, and the car running, then they're certainly not catching a habitual car thief.
Got to fill those prison quotas.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Welp my garage is back up to 2 Buells again.
Someone broke in and left them there?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The self driving car can't get here fast enough.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tanbo posted:

Edit: Can't get timestamps to work with the video tag? Adding &t=460 doesn't work. 7:40 though.
The video paste parser doesn't understand youtube links with xxx?t=10 like you get from "Get video url at current time". It expects # instead of ?

The correct bbcode tag is
code:
[video type="youtube" start="460"]Nggsuxr79ak[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nggsuxr79ak&t=460s

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tube strike time in London
So, Thursday?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Had someone pull out in front of me for the first time a few days ago.

I take partial blame though. I was right behind a panel van which turned onto the road the car was coming from and I was riding too close to the van so the car couldn't see me.

So it's partly a rant about me being an idiot. I reacted correctly though; braked hard, looked where I wanted to go and swerved around the car.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well, gently caress.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We need Judge Dredd-like death patrols that specifically look for people who dick around on their phones while driving.

No arrest, no trial. Just yank them out of the car, throw them on the ground and put two bullets in their head.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

builds character posted:

Over the phone -
Me: I need a bolt drilled out, is that something you guys can do?

Shop: Sir, we do not want that work. Do not call us and only give us the bad work.
Maybe they assumed it was a head bolt and didn't want to be held liable if they broke your engine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And if they're unsure about where they're going they won't look over their shoulder when they suddenly realize they need to turn RIGHT NOW.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I just use Swish (silly name) for all transactions to private parties
Swish is the service I was describing in IRC yesterday.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Marxalot posted:

Because my 20k+mi motor doesn't burn poo poo
Least of all rubber. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

leica posted:

So I'm a bit under the weather and had a massive sneeze attack in the middle of riding home from work, had to pull over until it was done. That was interesting :v:
I did the same a while ago. Rode past a field in full bloom and had an allergic attack from grass pollen. Rode past as quick as I safely could while sneezing my brains out, then stopped to empty a gallon of snot out of my head and clean the inside of the helmet.

gently caress allergies.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Comedy option, Honda NC700SD. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Almost planted myself into the side of a taxi going home from work yesterday.

Two lane street. I'm in the left lane puttering along at 30km/h or so, while traffic in the right lane is moving slower. The taxi was in a parking lane on the side of the street, spots a small gap in the right lane and decides to do a U-turn across both lanes, forcing both me and the car in the right lane to hit the brakes.

Seriously gently caress cabbies and their "this is my livelihood so I can drive how I want" attitude. I hope your next passenger robs you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

Just got home after spending a night in the ICU and another night in a rather nice (and probably quite expensive) private room after getting (apparently) smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign. I don't remember anything; I don't know if I was awake for the ambulance or the ER. Hell, once I woke up I didn't recognize my own mom (I did say hi to her husband, though). The upshot is that I am mostly better now, aside from a broken collarbone and a bruised hand. Got pretty lucky overall, thank goodness for all my gear. I have no idea in what shape my bike is. Probably won't be able to ride until the spring. And I was so looking forward to that Ducati demo ride tomorrow!
That sounds awful, I'm glad you're (mostly) ok. :sympathy:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To be fair that looks like the world's most amazing go-kart.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, re: Millennial Chat, from reading a biography of John Adams, the 2nd US President, he and his wife corresponded often which gives historians both a look into their personalities and life in the late 1700s. Adams at one point went on a rant about KIDS, THESE DAYS!!! :argh: so if people in 1790 were doing it, we'll be doing it for the rest of time.
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Quote from the ancient Greek play The Clouds from around 400 BC. :hist101:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A badge of honor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8GtrKtrZ4&t=90s

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was riding at a modest pace through a residential area and someone apparently left the gate to their fenced garden open and their yappy little terrier ran out into the street to chase me. My first instinct was to speed up and outrun it, but I was coming up on an intersection and I didn't want to get the dumb furball run over, so I stopped and got off, picked the dog up and carried it back to its garden, closed the gate and dropped it over the fence.

That's my sort of feelgood story.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Send it to off the old farm where it can frolick and wheelie in the fields, and take the offered compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well in comparison to a Blast...