Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A cat doesn't cause surging, the ultra-lean mixture used to meet emissions regulations and help the cat work properly does. Just removing the cat doesn't solve surging, and any steps that do help stop it work just as well with the cat still in place.

The surging I mostly meant as a reason to perform a tune and, as such, not adhere to the regulations anymore. I've also read that fattening up your mixture might cause the cat to overheat and fail due to fuel burning up in there. However this might fall under the 'misinformation' part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Some great loving logic, right here.

How so? I'd say annoying behavior during normal usage, such as surging or excessive heat, is a more legitimate reason to bypass emissions soft- or hardware than marginal power (or noise) gains.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's common in the UK too, people will even do it on a dual carriageway while the other lane on their side continues to see fast moving traffic so that you can't even actually take them up on their offer.

Yeah or a car with nobody behind them stopping for you so it would have been faster for them to drive past as now you've had to wait for them to stop.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Four years ago my 690 Duke grenaded its engine on the Paris ring; two days ago the same happened to my 701, 5km from the previous spot. Long story short, no more motorcycle trip to the Pyrenees for me, back to Holland by train. I find Japanese bikes extremely boring and lame but I'm ready for one now.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Did the 701 last longer (more km)? Will your insurance pay to get the bike back to Holland, or are you just selling it to a wrecker there in France?

Insurance will get it back to Holland and I have extended warranty, which is still good this year. 27000Kms, which is a lot for this type of bike (but of course not in general). My Duke grenaded itself at 15k, this bike never had anything major, but did have annoyances such as oil leaks and brake rotors warping.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Yamaha could make a CARB-compliant street tune that meets emissions goals but runs like dogshit; their fueling is known for being pretty bad already. Just keep selling the "offroad only" GYTR ECUs/bluetooth harnesses/exhaust packages so people can un-gently caress the fueling.

The fueling on the first couple of years of FZ-FJ09 was so bad I don't know how they weren't too ashamed to release the bike like that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Update: he bit the bullet and bought a thousand-dollar set of cases. He's now left with a $4500 bike that owes him around 7k and a lifelong aversion to KTM.

What I didn't know: this was the third (!) KTM he's imported and not one of them has made a profit, despite the favorable market prices here vs overseas. Reckons it'll be mostly Harleys and Ducatis from now on because it's possible to rehabilitate a totalled one and still make some money in the end, whereas with KTM you can start with a running rideable bike and still fall backwards into a spike pit.

My Husky 701 that had a broken valve needed an entire new head as a valve guide was damaged and they aren't sold separately. Thankfully I had ponied up $200 for two years of extended warranty a year and a half ago. Still didn't really come out ahead as I sold the bike to the dealer for not that much, but at least it's their problem now.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

helstein posted:

Yes. I had mine (2013 model) for 80KKm, and the needed rebuilds, gas tank (they die after about 5 years and will ruin the fuel pump and injectors) etc was in total a little above a third of the price i paid for the bike when it was new. They are really fun to drive, but never touch one that isn't covered by the factory warranty.

What happened that you needed rebuilds? I had 2 major engine failures on a 2015 model but I got rid of it at 20k.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

helstein posted:

It's almost the same thing. KTM has used 2 different vendors of their tanks on the 690, but both dissolves. The tank svells a bit so all fasteners become loose (I had to drill 4 of the screws on the old tank to get the colored panels off), but the main problem is that the inside dissolves into the gasoline, creating a sort of milky goo that clogs injectors and stuff. Even the old lawn mover didn't like that gasoline.

Clean gasoline was the standard here in Norway (straight from the North sea, yay), but it now has more and more ethanol in it. We have for instance stopped buying gasoline from the CK chain, as all the 3 NX250s we have stutters around 5500 rpm on that.

What also bugged me about the tank on the 690 was that the (hinged) fuel cap wants to fall shut, instead of open. One of those things no journalist would ever notice.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Update: you can't take the cam cover off because the coils are in the way, they are attached to the underside of the frame cross-plate with cap screws which are too close to the cam cover to get an allen key into, because they are fitted to the frame which is then fitted to the motor, which means valve clearances demand dropping the engine (I am not doing this).

Try googling bimota h2 for maximum :catdrugs:

Reminds me of the Buell XB, especially since you recently said those are similar to an exotic sportsbike. They use the same style intake plenum and seals as a sportster, which you're probably familiar with.
For those unfamiliar, instead of there being a flexible boot between the engine and plenum/airbox, there's a tapered seal that gets squished in between there:

It seems that on the XB they start leaking much sooner, probably because the intake and airbox are attached to the frame, instead of how on the sporty the whole intake assembly is attached to the engine and can vibrate with it. Replacing them on the Sportster is a 10 minute job, on the XB you need to drop the engine.

There's now actually an aftermarker design that seems much more sensible, as it uses O-rings instead of seals that can be nicked by movement of the intake
https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webs...e_Intake_Flange

I did it without dropping the engine once but you need a cut down ball head allen key, curved wrench and will probably scratch up the intake/cylinder mating surfaces wrestling everything into place.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Are they actual KTM headers though, or just sold by KTM (Akra PowerParts) or completely aftermarket?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You advance to the next group in a track day by beating the instructor. After you beat all of them, you become an instructor yourself.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Big time “Guy Who Types Everything Like This” energy

What ever happened to,
"Ride with in your limits?"

really gets me going

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

No true Dutchman (tm) would spend over $100k on toys like motorcycles - they're way too cheap for that (the Dutch, not the bikes)

Not exactly 100k but the GS has been the best-selling bike here for years on end, sure models like the Z900 and Honda 750 bikes also sell well, but being a wealthy boomer transcends cultural boundaries.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

I don't understand why he calls it a 1300cc bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gorson posted:

It has 200hp and 168ft/lbs, I think he's comparing it to an equivalent ICE displacement.

Well with how much bike (and car) manufacturers like to play around with that kind of thing, it wouldn't be that surprising if e.g. KTM were to release an electic bike called [something]90. In fact, it's almost strange that electric BMW cars don't have nonsensical names that refer to engine displacements. I guess the drive to give electric vehicles names that clearly stand out wins.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I suspect if it were possible to remove no gear idiots and no skill idiots from the stats, they'd look safer than cars. People who know what they're doing crash very rarely in my totally anecdotal experience even if they speed everywhere, people who suck crash constantly even if they always ride really slow.

There'd probably be a lot fewer crashes at least, but perhaps on average still more lethal than car crashes. And yeah even advanced class instructors (often motorcycle police officers) here are like "you're on a bike, we know you're going to speed, but do it where it's safe for you and especially for others".

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
One time riding along the highway it started smelling like burning and I thought it was my bike, once I had looped down under the overpass I was crossing before there was a car on fire there.

Another time I was riding along and heard a 'spoing' sound like I had just ridden over a huge stone, odd but didn't think that much of it. Stopped a while later at an intersection and heard a huge racket like my chain had fallen off the front sprocket. Immediately got off - bike was fine but there was a center punch lying on the road. Apparently the noise before was me riding over it, at which it nestled itself between my headers; stopping made it fall out.

Also, how noisy your chain sounds if you're riding past a concrete barrier.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Martytoof posted:

It’s 2021, why can’t I drop a GPX file into Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps and get them to turn-by-turn me to each waypoint :argh:

I have a 260km round trip that I want to do but it’s pretty littered with farm country roads so I definitely appreciate the “in 1km make a right” guidance. The last time I did this ride I used some janky GPX route app that crashed on me twice and was consistently horrible handling GPS causing me to have to backtrack a few times.

This, plus other issues with mounting a phone, is why I recently upgraded from my ancient Garmin GPS to their latest model. It's still overpriced, but not as egregious as the older models. Dragging around the map still feels slower than my $200 phone from 3 years ago but it's a huge improvement over their older units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009