Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Argh. Got my bike back today, am waiting at a pain-in-the-arse four-way junction to go right, and in oncoming traffic there's a line of panel vans waiting to do the same, obviously they've got traffic crawling up the left of them to go straight on so I just wait, as I'm not going to be able to see them until they're already in the junction because of the vans. Cheeky boot behind me had the loving audacity to beep and start gesturing furiously at me to go. I turn round, do the whole "what the gently caress do you want me to do" hand gesture, and then when the vans move and I can take the right safely, I did it then pulled over to have a wee word with this lady. She cottoned on and did that whole "looook at meeeeeeeeeeee" thing of flooring her shitey 1l hatchback past me in second gear at a whole 20mph, but I really wish I'd just followed her up to the next traffic lights and said "I want a word", because I've got L plates on.

Now, I've got a good chunk of confidence, I don't give a gently caress about beeping which I haven't ever really got anyway, I'm not moving till I'm fully satisfied I'm clear to go. Some wee 17 year-old on their first scooter or whatever, however, is gonna panic at an arsehole like that and get flattened. Raging, because she has no way of knowing which is the case and much as I hate to admit it the big red L does point towards the latter, which makes it quite a bit worse that she'd do that whole performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're not as much of an issue because it's hard for them to get insurance, these are 30/40somethings who don't have to take a CBT to ride a moped and are using it to commute.

In fairness, I'm on a CBT, my bike's parked on a public road in Glasgow - £600 TPFT my first year (literally got bike, CBT, and insurance the same day) and it went down to £400 the second year. After an at-fault accident. At ~20.

I hate those tools though. There's one that "rides" up my way, and you can tell he spends more time waxing his Vespa knock-off than he does riding it. Dickhead gives a look like I just slapped his child if I acknowledge him in any way. Watching them filter is fun (if you're not in a hurry)- not sure where their odd holding legs out instinct comes from but it's funny seeing them snap the legs in-and-out every time they go past something wider than a Micra.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2013

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Cyclists not knowing how to filter. Motherfucker you're smaller than me, how can you be stupid enough to do two lanes worth of weaving, and where do you get off looking at me like I'm the dick for telling you to pick a loving lane? Also if one more starts filtering up the inside I'm just gonna start doling out happyslaps for youtube.*

*This does not apply to your average fella on a bike in jeans, jacket, and cheap and cheerful grey helmet, but the messenger boy and full-body-condom Armstrong wannabes on their way to their cubicles.

Z3n posted:

I'll be sure to let it pass when you rant about it again then. :v:

Your desperation to get the last word in every time, like a 16 year-old on a work night out, is pathetic.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

hot sauce posted:

I've only ever heard of bikes/cars named the opposite sex of the person who owns it. It's probably just less enjoyable for a dude to ride Bruce as it would be to ride Bessie.

Even as a gay dude, mine is Livia. In fairness my ex named it, and it's a good excuse for having big red L's on the front, should anyone ask.

Although I do like that when I've had to speak to my mechanic about getting bits for it he'll come out with "Right, what year is she again? 'Bout 10,000 miles on her, yeah?".

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Motherfucker. 65 quid for a three-car-length filter. Who the gently caress puts a non-motorcycle-admitting, 24/7 bus lane on the wrong side of the road, anyway? Camden loving Council, that's who. I only ended up going that way because a bunch of pituitary freaks masquerading as a sport were blocking up Regent Street. Basically I blame the NFL, money-grabbing local authorities, Boris Johnson and every other loving Tory, and basically anyone who wasn't me.
For rant content - I was in a peak-hours-only bus lane in Edinburgh a few hours ago. Some loving clown going 25 in a 40 in the passing/peak-hour normal traffic lane finally realised he could go in the bus lane - as I was accelerating up it. Worst bit was he moved slightly over, held off a bit making me think "right, he's seen me, keep accelerating" and then started drifting again as I was just passing him. Judicious application of horn and throttle got me out of there, but for fucksake.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 10, 2013

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Related to that, people who only discover their accelerator when you're overtaking them. Dude, I'm on the wrong side of the road, I'm not on a particularly big bike, now is not the time for you to get pissy and get up to the actual speed limit.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Ffffuuuuck that thing drivers do where they pull a liiiittle further out into the junction when you're approaching with right of way.
:downs:"It's a bike coming, not a car, so I can stick my nose out further into his lane to shave .2 seconds off the turn " is, of course, utterly indistinguishable from the first second of
:downs:"Bike? Where?".

My poor heart must be exhausted.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I've started bunching up my suit so the knee pads are above my knee cap. Being tall on a bike loving sucks and suits not only are either WAY too big or way too small, but when you opt for one that doesn't look like a garbage bag you end up feeling straitjacketed making it impossible to feel mobile and flexible while positioning yourself.

Nobody makes Aerostich-like oversuits for skinny people with stupidly long legs. :(

Helimot needs to start doing this ASAP

I'm of the same build, and while I'm not happy with the quality of their boots I'd check Frank Thomas' one-pieces, their XTI two-piece fits me perfectly.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What brands share the same head shape as hjc? HJC's fit me like a glove for my head, but I'd like to step up my build quality game if at all possible.

I am actually a really big hjc fan, but I want to see what else is out there

I've moved to Caberg from HJC, it's worked out quite nicely. Caberg is a much snugger fit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Heh I was out of London Wed-Fri, I wondered why I didn't feel my normal anxiety about being in the Outer Darkness, now I know why.

It's because it's darker earlier now, so you didn't have to see scary green spaces and those odd people who still have souls.