Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nitramster posted:

On that topic; growing up in California I think it's crazy this state is the only one to allow lane sharing, considering all the left-wingers ruining everything. I would never ride in traffic if I had to sit behind cars and wait to get Oreo cookie'd.

I fail to see the connection here. All of Europe is run by what I'm sure from your prespective are extreme left-wingers, and lane splitting and filtering is legal in most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I nearly killed some dude on a Fireblade today (with my car). I had stopped to make a left turn, and the car coming from the other direction stopped as well since traffic was packed in his lane on my side of the intersection. The other car was a big station wagon with tinted windows, with a large trailer attached. Since he'd stopped, I started turning slowly across when I just see *something* in the small visible gap between the trailer and the car passing him on the other side from me. I instinctivly mash the brake and out comes a Fireblade at maybe 40mph flying past in front of me. He was so close that I was convinced he was going to hit the front corner of my car, but he just flew by and kept going on the shoulder.

He sure didn't ride like he was invisible, more like he was invincible.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gear? Wtf are you, a twentysomething that wants to pretend you're sixty wearing high viz while commuting on a boring bike?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Because if some desperate sucker agrees, they've gotten away with buying a bike for real cheap, and it's not like it takes a lot of energy to send a message over the internet (or an sms)? This is actually part of why I'm draging my legs on selling the SV, because it's so goddamn annoying dealing with all these lowballing fuckheads.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, there was some slight problem with the speed as well.

And besides, from what I recall you have an insane amount of double yellow over there compared to here. Well, apart from our lines not being yellow.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I get around one or two old farts that do left turns right in front of me every season, but that's about it. It's rare enough that I never remember where the horn is when it does.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As always, there's a Bond movie with a "solution". Start inventing, people! (About 20 sec in, the worlds most effective horn.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpBWIr4EWb8

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

It doesn't help that my town (heck half of Connecticut) has some of the shortest yellow lights I've ever seen. Nothing encourages aggressive red-light running like a 1.5 second yellow.

I seem to recall that the lights I saw in South Carolina switched immediately (as in, as soon as it was red one way the crossing road had a green). Here there is a couple of seconds delay between one way getting red and the other getting green, to prevent people from going before the intersection is clear (or getting torpedoed by someone running a last second red/yellow). The SC system made me nervous since it seemed like the risk of an accident went up massively for a very small gain.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm usually way way way too honest. Selling the DRZ, the front wheel had a miniscule leak (as in, it dropped 5 psi in eight weeks) which I wrote as "small air leak front wheel", and the front brake was a little mushier than I liked it (the eventual buyer said he wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out) which I also wrote in the ad. Probably why I never get anything sold. :smith:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EXTREMELY CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1500 INVESTED, MY LOSS YOURE GAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILL TRADE FOR GOLD BULLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's even worse, they did go whole hog. In Sweden, previously rear lights were included in the DRL. From 2011 onwards they are not, as in the rear lights are not on when you're running with DRLs, you have to move to light switch to on. For someone who's been seeing rear lights on for all his driving/riding life, and equates lights off to a stationary vehicle, it get's annoying.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Backov posted:

So they actually went backwards to the mess we have in Canada? Amazing. Being Sweden, I guess it was determined that having the rears be part of DRL was misogynistic?

Conformity to EU regulations. It used to be that DRLs where just "recommended" in most EU countries, now they are mandatory. But only in the front, and so Sweden let car manufacturers off the hook by going backwards.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's literally the situation your bike has a horn for.

Well that and terrifying pedestrians, obviously.

Isn't it better to just get the hell away if the pedestrians in your area are that terrifying?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope you've got your SA username stenciled across the back of your jacket as well?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I'm also going to have a wander around my area and see if I can spot a blue Daihatsu sirion so I can talk to the stupid woman and try to reason with her. I don't need this poo poo in my life right now.

Good luck. In my experience, these people can't be reasoned with. I once had a moped, top speed 35 kmh downhill, with a tail wind. A local grumpy old woman started calling my dad (I was 15 yo at the time) every day telling him that I was "speeding through the streets on my motorcycle". This on a road that, to begin with, had a 50 kmh speed limit and no one followed that either. I tried talking to her one day explaining that not only was my "motorcycle" not even capable of speeding but I was in fact going a lot slower than the other traffic. Her response was something semi-coherent about motorcycles and death, and the words "I can hear you racing by, so don't try and tell me you don't". She couldn't get it into her mind that me going completely balls to the walls full throttle was slower than even she drove by.

Last year an older guy, redder than a tomato in the face, actually jumped out in front of me and started screaming about me going too fast (I was obeying the speed limit and told him so, he said "like gently caress you where"). My friend who passed him moments before me, going at least 15 kmh faster than me in his car was not a problem for some reason.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Appeasement probably won't get you anywhere, sadly.

If things really are looking that bad, the cops seem to clearly be taking her word that you're a dangerous lawbreaker. Ask them why. Ask them about exact times, dates, places. Make sure they understand that you can't possibly be doing these thing because you were at work/visiting your uncle/whatever. The only thing that'll help against "a witness" is showing that the witness is unrealiable by supplying your own.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I remember cleaning parts for a Turbomeca Artouste back in school by dipping them by hand in MEK without gloves. Good times.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Raven posted:

All right, I've loving had it... The only time it's getting above freezing in the next week is when it's gonna snow... again. I'm thinking about going over to the white side and trying snowmobiling. Anyone out there using it to keep the jones at bay? I'm just gonna rent one and do some guided tour up in NH or something,I don't need all the aggravation of actually owning one. Any tips? How similar is it to riding a bike?

Not very similar. It's more similar to riding an ATV.

Going out into some untouched powder snow and just going hog wild is some of the best times I've ever had on a motorized vehicle. It's just so... relaxing and fun and nice and I don't even know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuoPJGAu8g

Ninja edit; make sure to bring a shovel if you're going off the trail as a beginner. The shoveling is the not-so-fun part. Like they're going to have to do after that video ends...

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

apatite posted:

Maybe the new ones?? I got an old sled this year after not having ridden one in like 15 years and it is the cat's meow for keeping the bike monkey off my back in the dead of winter.

If you want a real challenge take an old slow sled and ride 60 miles through the back country with a group of people on $15k brand new machines with thousands of studs, air shocks, kerjillions of inches of suspension travel and two or three times the displacement. Just keeping up on an old sled on a rough trail is one hell of a good time and reminds me way more of riding a bike than an ATV.

Yeah, with old sleds everythings different. Mostly it's suspension that has no travel whatsoever (compared to a newer sled) and the olders tracks having lug heights that are just laughable by modern standards. Even the most laid back trail machine sold today has a more agressive track than a 20 year old mountain machine (if using the stock track).

apatite posted:

Totally agree with this right here. Powder up to the windshield, old 340 air cooled twin brappppppppping all night long

Dear god someone help me I've turned into a snowmobile rider

You can't be sad on a snowmobile.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you're hosed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the EU parliament voted against instituting the 100 hp limit in all of the EU, thereby effectively forcing France to accept bikes with more than 100 hp from 2016.

Parts of Europe had manufacturers voluntarily restricting their bikes sold here to 100 hp in the 80s to prevent legislation (and bring down soaring insurance costs). I believe the last year any bikes sold in Sweden where restricted to 100 hp was in 1996 or so. (The first year the Super Blackbird was sold in Sweden it had a whopping 98hp.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait. Where you speeding and she let you off with a lecture, or did you not speed but she just decided you needed a stern talking to?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most of the civilized world don't hold elections for law enforcement though. Sure, I don't get much say in who beats the poo poo out of me on saturdays, but at least it won't be the same guy that looks the other way when cousin Dewey sets up his meth lab because of MA KIN.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, Swedens biggest motorcycle magazine had an editorial where they told people that "well of course loud pipes save lives". :downs:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Spent ten minutes riding to perfect Roadcraft standard because there was a bike with Police written across the front behind me - then when we got to some lights he pulled up and it was one of these fuckers:

(Click if you want the unnecessarily huge version)

Then when he got in front of me I counted 5 test fails (Failure to indicate, two failures to shoulder check, unsafe speed and failure to stop at a stop line) in less than a minute. Normally I just find the plastic cops on their ickle three-wheelers adorable but this twat added two minutes to my ride home and himself rode worse than a loving pizza boy.

Who watches the watchmen? goddamnedtwisto, that's who!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I went looking for some statistics on accidents for Sweden and NZ (I'm strange like that), and noticed that the Swedish Road Administration in their latest report on motorcycle accidents have a list of all models involved in accidents, sorted by standard/custom/toring/sporttouring/supersport and scooter. In the supersport column we find crotch rockets like a Yamaha TZR 125 and a RGV 125.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We have a large-ish student population where I live, and most of them doesn't have a drivers license. It shows.

The train of thought seems to be:

1) I'm on a bicycle or walking and thus I have no engine, therefor

2) traffic laws do not apply to me and

3) I'M INVINCIBLE

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
More and more gas stations around here have switched from those little carry tanks that you use to fill your tyres to a long hose on a reel, with a control box where you punch in the pressure you want and then it beeps when you're done. Problem is, that loving hose is almost impossible to guide in between the spokes of my KTM if you don't have the hands of a tiny, tiny child (but with the finger strength of a gorilla).

One station close to me even had a tank where the hose tip was adjustable 0/45/90 degrees, making filling up bikes a piece of cake. Not anymore.

:smith:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Oh, and this is my fault because if I weren't such a dick, none of this would've happened! Obviously!

Actually, in the real world, the only way this is anyones fault is if she crashed the car on purpose.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Dang, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also 26 and am also in a position where having to replace a car would just about nuke any savings I have.

What is this "savings" you talk about?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Welp, the bar for dumb poo poo in cars has now been raised - saw someone using their phone in selfie mode to fix their hair while driving this evening.

Sorry, no. I passed a car on the motorway once that floated across the lanes in that unsettling manner that people do when they are really tired (or very distracted). So I floored it past him, but had to drop back and look again because I didn't believe my eyes.

While going 75 mph on the motorway, the guy had his Ipad up on the steering wheel. Playing Fruit Ninja.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Soundtrack for Shelvockes escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f69ZVXn4-w

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's strange. Most doctors I know (4 out of 5) ride.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or just chop up an old plastic container for that professional look!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seriously Philly has the highest taxes of any non-bullshit city in the nation and you'd think the money goes to paying for field artillery to shell the major transportation arteries biweekly.

"Having the highest tax rate in the US" is like being tallest midget.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You're about due for a big girl bike :colbert:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You die.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The front axle nut on the SV650 is also a hex, for some reason.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Over here they're talking about making it legal to ride a pushbike without a helmet on the basis that they cause more injuries than they prevent/have no noticeable effect on injury statistics either way. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, cyclists are deathseeking morons who get to use the road and share the risks without having to pay the state accident insurance levy built into vehicle registration. On the other hand, cycle helmets seem utterly useless considering I've seen people crash bikes at pushbike speeds and avoid terrible injury by having helmets.

On the gripping hand, I want them all to be annihilated.

A friend of a friend of a friend got gently bumped by a city bus a couple of years ago while cycling (she tried to pass the buss on the curb side, just like what captainOrbital was talking about), lost her balance, fell and smacked her head on the sidewalk. Pronounced dead the day after, never regaining consciousness. Had she had a helmet, she would've gotten away with a grazed hand.

Adults are not legally required to wear a helmet while riding a bike here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was behind a cop car doing 5 below the speed limit on the freeway. Just as I was about to signal left and start creeping past it, a sport bike of some description passed us in the left lane fast enough that I couldn't even see if it had a plate, much less what was on it. The cops didn't even bother with the light bar, they just kept rolling at five under.