Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or just replace them all with roundabouts so that half the time you don't even need to slow down :getin:

Except for the retarded ones they implement in places where no one has seen a roundabout before, where each entrance has a stop sign. gently caress off :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, you're probably not doing it right. I tend to end up five miles from the nearest gas station with three miles of gas in the tank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I want to rant that all the good riding roads are at least ten miles from my house. Why can't they be one mile away instead? :reject:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The best part of owning a supermoto is when people ask how fast it is, you can say "it's not" and then just get on to talking about bikes sans all the dickwaving.

Yeah, I kind of lean this way.

"How big's the engine in that?"
"Three-thirty."
"Can you go on the interstate?"
"You CAN, but it isn't very fun. I like the slow twisty roads."

End of discussion about top speed. The people who are interested in motorcycling start talking about the best little twisty roads; those who only care about how fast you can go make some dumb comment like "hurf durf don't even have enough power to get out of your own way" and don't take up any more of my time.

A couple weeks ago I was talking to another motorcyclist who thought his R6 was "good enough for in the city" but he really needed a literbike; he lost all interest in talking to me about motorcycles when I said I had a 350. I later found out through a mutual friend that he brags about hitting 150 miles an hour on his commute to work and only wears a helmet about half the time because he likes to feel the wind in his hair. It's automatic self-selection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I put on a concerned expression and say "ooh, that's rough. It is definitely a risky activity, yep." Their response to that will tell you whether they're just concerned for your safety ("yeah...stay safe out there!") or want to pick a fight over your life choices ("but don't you think it's too dangerous and crazy???")

Some people just don't really have any experience with motorcyclists and don't know what to say. When I started riding one of my relatives said "well, I hope you're an organ donor!" Like...thanks, for the vote of confidence, dude? But then I realized that as an extraordinarily sheltered zero-risk-taking zero-life-experience conservative christian, his brain only has two things under the "motorcycling" category: HELLS ANGELS and GUY WHO DIED. He just picked what he thought was the less offensive of the two.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 3, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I was going around a roundabout and encountered an idiot who was going around it backwards. There was time to avoid him because I was looking deeply into the turn (hooray!) but it would have only been about 2 more seconds before we collided head-on. I straightened up and swerved off to the outside, honked, stopped on the edge of the road and made a spinning motion with my hand and pointed backwards where he was supposed to be. He smiled and waved as he continued around to the exit he wanted. :wtc:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How the hell do people drive around in the pitch blackness of daylight savings evenings without realizing their headlamps are off? And why they hell don't they think "hey, that motorcyclist waving like crazy and flashing his headlight must be trying to get my attention", instead of just cruising blissfully off into the dark?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Around here the city planners seem to like roundabouts, because more and more of them are appearing, but for some mind-boggling reason they put a stop sign at each entrance. It actually ends up being slower than just using a four-way stop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've noticed quite a few of the new Audis and Teslas and other cars with bright LED DRLs driving around at night with their headlights off. It was an Audi that prompted my original post, actually. Maybe with the bright white light from the LEDs (relatively -- it looks only about as bright as my bicycle headlight, but that's certainly more than the parking lamps or 30% voltage low beams used for most DRLs in the states) and a dashboard that's always illuminated, these people literally don't realize they actually have real headlamps as well?

"My headlights ARE on!! Duh, can't you see the light at the front of the car??"

Also I know that most of the bad drivers I see are naturally going to be part of whatever is the largest demographic in San Francisco, but I think I'm starting to become racist towards Asian drivers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BMW SUV drivers are the loving worst. Today, a woman in an X5 tried to share the highway acceleration lane with me :psyduck: The acceleration lane is fed from two onramps that merge just as the lane starts; I was in the left one, ahead of her by about two car lengths, and she was in the right and behind. I kept to the left of the lane in order to prevent people merging into me from the highway. I passed the merge point, and just as I was just reaching freeway speed about halfway up the lane, I saw the nose of her car appear immediately to my right in my peripheral vision. She was literally beside me in the single acceleration lane, and going way beyond matching the highway speed -- she was still speeding up.

So, since I didn't feel like getting into a race with an idiot like that and I don't really have the power to extend and disengage safely anyway, I backed off a little bit, checked left, moved over and let her cut me off. She didn't signal to merge, didn't touch her brakes, didn't acknowledge my existence, kept on accelerating to I'd guess about 85 (the limit is 60). Five hundred feet down the road she slammed on her brakes and immediately started tailgating the car in front of her.

I hate BMW SUV drivers so much.

e: she had a baby on board tag in the window too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yesterday I split up to a stoplight and ended up next to a guy in a nice old Datsun 240Z with a sweet sounding exhaust. I looked back at him, nodded, gave him a thumbs up. He stared back without blinking. Meh, I thought.

Light turned green, I took off, he took off as well and blew past me up to the next light. Stopped short as it turned red. I started to split up beside him again, and he saw me coming and turned to block the space. rear end. I went around to the other side that he had conveniently opened up instead. He wasn't having any of that motorcycle being beside him on either side though! So he started creeping forwards "anticipating" the green light. I looked over at the side street and noticed that when he started creeping, the pedestrian crossing still had six seconds left on it. In a bunch of stupid little creeps and brake-slams, he anticipated the light change so poorly that he entered the intersection with the light still red, and was stopped at least six feet over the line (blocking half a lane of cross traffic) by the time the light turned green. :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You are like the lowest-content poster in this entire forum.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

I was just curious if Sagebrush smoked him off the line and left him in the dust or if Nissan dude took off. Sheds some light on who spent money on my avatar :)

Bugdrvr posted:

I was kinda curious what happened too.

No, that was the end of the story. I was just commenting on the guy who was so upset at the idea of a motorcycle splitting beside him that he first blocked me off, then crept illegally into the intersection and made a dolt of himself in order to ensure that I didn't beat him again. I figured that was clear and that you were just making a sarcastic comment but it may not be a very clear or interesting story.

I didn't buy your avatar, nsaP. I have never bought anyone an avatar or BRCT.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The guy actually had nearly the same model bike as me. But I heard the book sucked.

It's an extremely misleading title. It's a book of theoretical philosophy that opens most chapters with a little anecdote about riding a motorcycle across the USA, but only uses it to introduce whatever new philosophical concept the author wants to talk about.

And the author had a Dream 305. The author's yuppie buddy is the one with a BMW.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I generally slow way down and stare right into their eyes as I ride by. A "I don't know if you saw me or not, but I'M WATCHING YOU" *points to eyes with two fingers* kind of thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd wager it's the season, too. Roads are always madhouses (like, there is a statistically significant increased rate of accidents) leading up to Christmas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

In Ontario, 50.

Don't forget that not only do they take your vehicle and license for 30 days, but it's a mandatory $10,000 fine and 7 points on your license which means you are effectively uninsurable as long as the charge is on the record.

This when literally everyone on the 401 drives 120 km/h, where the limit is 100, so you really only have to be doing 30km/h (18mph) over the speed of slow-lane traffic to get your driving privileges hosed for the next three years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see the point of blasting down the highway at twice the limit either, but it's completely within reason to temporarily accelerate to 20mph faster than the guy beside you if you're trying to make a pass and get out of the danger zone quickly. Granted you could just stay at the same speed as the dude and hang around behind him, but sometimes you just need to get away from an idiot or whatever.

Laws can (and should) be inflexible, but the assignment of penalties needs to be fluid to properly accommodate the variability inherent to each case. That's why we have judges instead of just a big list of crimes and punishments. Automatic mandatory charges assigned for some arbitrary checkbox you ticked ruin the whole basis of our legal system.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

It just doesn't really make sense - you don't get away from erratic, quick drivers by getting in front of them. There's this attitude that the throttle is usually the best solution to lovely drivers and oftentimes that's not the case.

You don't get away from erratic drivers who are going consistently fast, no, but you do get away from erratic drivers who are arbitrarily speeding up and slowing down and weaving all over the place and so on. Extend and evade.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To be fair, with highway construction there actually are a lot of periods when the road isn't technically finished but there also isn't anything going on. I don't remember the exact numbers, but (for instance) after pouring most types of concrete you have to just sit and wait for several weeks to months for it to properly cure before you can use it as a load-bearing element in any construction on top. Over that time period it's still a construction zone, but nobody's working.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Is there literally no burden of proof in New Zealand or something?

I don't know about NZ specifically, but 25% of the countries in the world explicitly do not have a presumption of innocence, and of the three-quarters that nominally do, many don't follow it in practice. In Japan, for instance, which does have a presumption of innocence, the police simply don't pursue charges if they don't think you did it. But that means that if they do charge you, it's heavily implied by the system that you are guilty, and you have to fight to prove your innocence or you'll be convicted by default. I think France and Germany are the same way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I hate working. I'd rather be poor and free than a slave with lots of things. Still trying to find that balance. :sweatdrop:

That's cool and all, but dude, if you seriously turned down $92,000 a year for your current $18,500 a year job because you didn't want to be a "slave" like every other working stiff and live in Modesto (which is like an hour away from loving Yosemite), you're a colossal idiot. Do you know what the difference in quality of life is between <20k and >90k a year?

Like, just as a thought experiment, consider that you could work at this place for a year, pay 40% of your salary in taxes (upper end), then quit and literally work not at all for three entire years (stupid, but you could do it) and still not have lost any money vs. working the same low-end job for five years continuously.

What the hell.

e: what do you mean a six hour commute? Even San Francisco to Modesto, if you absolutely had to live right on the ocean, is only an hour and a half.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 24, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I've seen this exact bike parked downtown a few times. Certainly I know that intersection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with this? Do these turds think that's a really common thing to do to your bike, like checking the chain?

I think that "showers of flaming sparks" is their understanding of "MANLY DANGEROUS MAN doing MANLY DANGEROUS STUFF" and that's the extent of what they've picked up on. Like in action movies where people have fights in "factories" that seem to produce nothing but showers of sparks and jets of steam. Or in video games where you can repair anything by pointing a portable blowtorch at the part of it that makes sparks for a couple of minutes and it makes an electric arc buzzing noise for some reason and then presto the thing is done being fixed.

But seriously,

Snowdens Secret posted:

it's always the pesky vestigal pillion peg mounts that leave you stranded

bingo, gotta remove those to ensure your babe has to dangle her feet in the wind or burn them on the exhaust or whatever

Z3n posted:

Godspeed, you can indeed throw down a bead, sir.

bahahahhahahah gently caress

quote:

Now once I got really into vintage tools I quickly realized that I wanted everything in my studio to be vintage right down to the smallest details. At the same time though I did not want anything in here that I was not going to use at least eventually. Finding a few NOS cases of old Elephant Brand pencils was a real score. The erasers are dead but the pencils are fine! I scored these a few years ago at Midland Liquidators for two bucks a box. I figure I got enough pencils with the five or ten cases to last me most of my life. I would have prefered American made ones but even these were a rare find.

Vintage pencils, dude! The graphite was just, like better back then

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Radioactive - 1 time

This is the one I don't understand at all. New tools are way, way less radioactive than old tools. I have camera lenses from the 1960s where the glass is like 40% thorium. Everyone used to use thoriated electrodes in their TIG welders until lanthanum ceramic became a thing. Old tools are lousy with stuff like uranium oxides (ceramic glazes, paints) and radium (watch faces, etc).

I love good old tools too, but jeez, please tell me that site's a joke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretend I posted that YOSPOS quote about nerds desperately aping "grownup" behaviour with no real understanding of it here. TBH it extends to just about the entire hipster bike scene; why these type of people couldn't stick to Vespas like their ancestors I don't know.

it's in my yospos.txt file of course

quote:

You know when you were a kid and your dad was shaving and you'd pretend-shave beside him because you thought it made you look grown-up? Everything Redditors do is that same talismanic grasping at symbols of adulthood and sophistication tinged with an air of desperately overthinking it while completely missing the point.

If I use a real straight-razor and make my own lather with a badger brush then that makes me manly and attractive, even though I have scraggly unkempt hair and I'm 50 pounds overweight. If I wear a fedora it will make me cool and sophisticated, even though I'm wearing it with jorts and a le meme t-shirt. If I smoke an ecig then I look hard-boiled and interesting, even though my baby palate means I have to puff candy-flavored clouds of nicotine water from a robot's dick.

"If I put my bike in an an abandoned warehouse and shower sparks all over my brazing goggles people will think I'm a rugged specimen of old-fashioned industrial masculinity, even though what I'm doing is detrimental to the bike and also I'm wearing my sister's jeans."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 30, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not in IT, I just read YOSPOS because it's the best forum on somethingawful.

e: followed closely by DIY, there's a lot of good poo poo in there

e2: cycle asylum is the worst forum

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A number of years ago the building I work in had asbestos remediation done, so the whole place was bagged and closed to anyone but the contractors for a couple of months. When the building was opened back up, nearly $20,000 in Snap-On tools from the engine lab had just up and vanished! No one knew anything about it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

requiring motorcyclists to carry breathalyzers every time they ride.

What?

That's pretty bizarre. Also, pretty stupid if the cops are relying on those readings and pretty useless if they aren't.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Let her know that the only thing you love is your bike and end every text message with "lyve fast, die yung, leave a pretty corpse"

I'm gonna second this one

Ride your bike to work, wait on it outside with your sunglasses on, when she walks by flick cigarette at hr.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yospos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when you ride a toilet backwards you've got a porcelain shelf for your drink and your book or you can pretend that you're riding a motorcycle

Jonny 290 posted:

"honey are you okay in there? lot of flushing"

"yeah fine im on the tail of the dragon, gotta shift a lot"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maybe he has some gigantic raked-out chopper that requires exaggerated steering motions? or he's just a moron

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't ride today because it looked like it might be going to rain. It's okay though, I'll just ride some other time, like whenever I feel like it.

e: z3n I was over in the east bay today and it wasn't cold at all. I live in the west side of the city and it's foggy and misty all the time, you have no excuse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

"Yeah, my (bicycle) frame is cool. I like to keep it totally minimal, no fenders, no extra parts. It's totally lightweight."

I used to (several years ago) have this attitude about my bicycle. Then I realized that I don't give a poo poo about the weight because I'm not riding cyclocross and I weigh 5x as much as the bike anyway. And, amazingly enough, when I have fenders installed I don't get sprayed with mud and poo poo when the roads are wet.

I have been run into from behind TWICE, at two different stoplights on different days, by the same idiot hipster with some lovely old yellow 10-speed with no brakes and a full road chainset that's stuck in a single gear because he took off the derailleurs. Yes, he has a freewheel hub but no friction brakes. I don't loving know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Making your bicycle lighter helps in the sole situation of "climbing a hill when you yourself are already at the apex of fitness." On flat or slightly hilly ground, or anywhere that you're traveling more than about 8 miles an hour, the air on your body is the #1 source of drag. If you are going really slowly so air resistance isn't a factor, and you're wearing the tightest spandex and have shaved off all your hair, then the next most important factor is your own weight. Take a poo poo before you ride or lose the love handles. Once you're in peak shape and can't lose weight without losing strength, you may start to think about reducing the weight of the vehicle.

And, as with all sports, the rule of thumb is "if you were a good enough athlete that $ridiculously_expensive_sports_equipment would actually make a difference to your performance, your sponsors would already have bought it for you."

*I can forgive cyclocrossers for being weight weenies because part of the race is getting stuck in the mud and having to literally carry the bike out of the obstacle.

e: also, having tires that are underinflated by even like 10 psi or a chain that's improperly lubricated can double the energy you need to expend over a given trip so you'd better be drat sure your bike is also in perfect condition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I knew what that was before I clicked it, yep.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When someone does something stupid in front of me, I just like to give them the Elvis point and stare at them as I ride by.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unless your old bike has a gashole that's incompatible with the vapor recovery fitting, and you have to hold the fitting back manually so it thinks it's plugged in to get the pump to start.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey.

How many lives must be claimed by Axe before people learn???

Also,

Dellikose posted:

Make sure you don't ride pissed, some dumb decisions can be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A modded GSXR being ridden by an army recruit? I don't think 20% interest is high enough.