Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

90s Honda was just generally too good for the world. Something like that could never last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Some hilarious lines in there about how removing the indicators is 'complex'

well, for a BMW owner...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually on all Harleys a Fat Bob holds down the seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honda #1: pull slider, push lever, seat swings up

Honda #2: turn key, pull catch, seat lifts off

The idea that you might have to unscrew something to remove the seat baffles my mind

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here in San Francisco it's going to be sunny and balmy until Tuesday :sun:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Familiarity leads to complacency. Complacency leads to mistakes. You just have to stay permanently alert. Train yourself to be constantly looking for anything out of the ordinary.

I don't think anyone is born with this ability. Humans spend their whole lives evolving through different forms of self-destructiveness, from the ignorance of childhood, to the recklessness of adolescence, to the overconfidence of adulthood, to the obliviousness of old age. People don't usually start to become cautious until they've had a couple of good scares. As much as it would be nice to entirely avoid that stage of motorcycling, I think it is a necessary step in learning to ride well, and getting out of these situations with nothing more than a pounding pulse and a renewed sense of mortality is about the best you can hope for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

If I can get this old one off.

you can rent a sawzall from home depot for like 20 dollars :eng101:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

isn't clearcoat just gonna burn off the first time you ride

Yep.

A plain steel exhaust system sounds disturbingly cheap. If you can't get one that's made of stainless or titanium, or chromed, it should at least be galvanized.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 9, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

It's chromed. As a manner of habit, I assume. I doubt anyone makes anything else for a GN125 (most bottom-dwelling, food-and-mail-deliverying motorcycle).

I just don't want it to rust out as quickly, due to riding year-round. Might as well do something to it while it's new and off the bike.

unless you're riding in a place with road salt, 4-5 years is still way short so it must be real cheap chrome plating full of micro pinholes (unsurprising). it's just how cheap parts are; i had a set of no-name chrome handlebars that started to rust within a year and the bike was stored indoors! properly done good hard chrome lasts decades.

if you are riding on salted winter roads, i salute you, but yeah then you're just gonna have to accept that your vehicle is disposable.

i wonder if it would help to periodically rub on a thin layer of oil and bake it on with the exhaust heat, like seasoning a frying pan?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kinda like the idea of a bike painted up with gloss white appliance enamel

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just search for the part number on eBay. There's always some random dude in Kentucky or whatever who has the parts in stock for about the same price as everywhere else, with free shipping, and they arrive in 4 days.

Sorry RevZilla.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's one reason that filtering to the front at stoplights is actually safer than staying in line.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Everyone who did the sensible thing and bought a sensible learner bike and has been ridden about being a gay sissy gayboy on his girl bike for sissy gays by his meathead Harley owning friends since he got it.
So quite a few, probably.

when i first started learning to ride i went to the only motorcycle dealership in town, which was a combined harley/honda joint, and said i was interested in the CBR250

the salesman made a vaguely disgusted look and said "that's a girl's bike. you'll get bored with it quick. let me show you the 600s."

i bought my helmet there but never went back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know it didn't but i like to believe it came out with the sand on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A guy in a Hyundai Elantra N tried to race me today. :jerkbag:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I first started learning to fly, I had a week off during spring break and scheduled several lessons. It was rainy and foggy with like two mile visibility and 1000 foot ceilings the whole time so the flying portion of every lesson got canceled.

I was bummed out. But after the third cancellation the friendly chief of the flight school said to me "we have a saying: it's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around."

I've noticed a lot of similarities between flying and motorcycling over the years, and I think the sentiment behind that saying is a good one to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a properly set up carburetor will start every time. and it works without electricity and the response is smooooooooooooooooth