Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Trying to imagine a goon vine rescue group. Show us the problem and your location in 6 seconds or less, or help ain't coming :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Today must have been "fertilize 10,000 acres of farmland near twisty roads with cowshit" day :[

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Graaagh. I really want to replace the tremendously lovely fork springs and fork oil on my bike, but it's a really involved process compared to anything else I've done so far. And I'd have to do it in a parking lot without a legit workbench, and blabbity blah :mad:

It's so loving squirrely god dammit

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been trying to find something like that for a while, but no luck so far.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

You could give TechShop a call to see if they're big enough to handle a motorcycle. They have a location in Crystal City and I remember reading an article somewhere that talked about somebody working on their bike at one.

Oh hell yeah, that's a great idea. I've been meaning to take one of their welding classes too, heard good things about it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wow, I'm a dipshit. I thought I had to take the forks off, but the wiki says you only have to do that if you're installing GVEs/nuking everything with parts cleaner. :doh: Problem solved.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A ninjette comes with .44kg/mm springs stock. Point fuckin forty four. I'm like 130 in atgatt and even I need nearly double that (.75).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh my god shut the gently caress up

My rant: the dumb slapfights this forum keeps getting into

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Motherfuuuuuck. I must have caught some grit on the inside of my knee today, cause my tank's all scratched up on one side where my knee goes :qq: I should have bought some stompgrips or something...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the bike was almost completely pristine when I got it. Looks like a beater now - scuffed clearcoat, scrapes, scratches, the whole hog. Definitely not one of those "sell what you bought it for" ninjas.

At least it runs well, I guess :negative:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll try the Tcut! I actually planned to take a buffer to the tank too, because my leathers dulled the clearcoat. It won't fix what I did today (deep white scratches on blue paint), but it should make everything else a little better.

I'll prob end up selling it to a goon for like a little over 1k anyway. That way I don't need to deal with CL, and all the history is in my posts here. :buddy:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sumo time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

TBF I've seen some super lovely roads on the west coast, too. You guys don't have to deal with winters for the most part, so they last like 10 years longer, but the DOT always drags their legs on replacing asphalt when it gets old. Seen some pretty gnarly surfaces - basically disintegrating and chunks coming out due to age, worn super smooth to the point where it's dangerous in rain, etc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Look at this scrub, writes things down on ~actual notebooks~ instead of scribbling incomprehensible chickenscratch with an ikea pencil onto notepads raided from motels

(excel maintenance logs crew :respek:)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

What garage :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

CL ad: new tires, runs and rides, shifts well, clean, fairings scratched

Reality: new tires, barely starts, stalls w/throttle, chain + rotors + pads + fork seals REKT, fairings cracked

at least the dude was only 10 mins away from my place this time!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This guy. Would make a good project, but only if the guy sold it for like 700 (which I bet he won't). Also sketch-rear end poo poo - actual owner has been gone a month, bike's getting sent to mexico if it doesn't sell here, etc

Hey hot sauce, if you're looking for a specific bike, lemme know - I check CL a few times daily, I can send you stuff that looks good.*

*I absolve myself of all responsibility if the "good deal" turns out like today's :v:

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 3, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lynza posted:

One super cool thing that I've noticed, though, is that people pretty much universally think it's good that I ride. I actually get a lot more positive feelings from people than I expected. I was kinda worried I was going to get the same type of treatment I get when I go into a wood store (Woodcrafters in Portland, I'm looking at you, you loving bearded hipster pricks) where they look at a man (if I'm with one) and ask him questions instead of me. Instead, bike guys, especially at the shop, are super chill with me. It's pretty awesome. It seems like a great equalizer. I can talk to anyone about bikes; gender's not really ever a thing.

Yeah, this has honestly been my experience like 95% of the time.

Though at the IMS I would sit on a bike, and the salesperson would come over and start talking in depth to my bf about the bike I'm checking out. He'd be like, oh no, I don't ride at all/am not interested, she's the rider... and they'd continue talking to him like I wasn't even there.

Except for the cool 6' tall BMW saleslady who dailies an r1200gs. She knew what was up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Get a gopro regardless whether or not you're intending to take it to the cops (here they would just laugh at you)

But seriously, video evidence esp in case of an accident is undeniable. That's originally why I got mine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

DMVarea.txt. This place is a fuckin cornucopia of the phone-iest drivers in the country.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Same. I've put together some winter gear I got cheap on closeout in the last month, but I'm still missing boots and gloves, so.... not this winter, I guess :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Throw that bike off a loving cliff already. You know, before it does it for you while you're riding.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mirrored visors 4 lyfe

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, this summer I've just said gently caress it and started filtering a little here and there. The traffic in my area is absolutely heinous, and the heat in the summer is brutal. gently caress sitting around risking heat stroke because some shithead in an air conditioned protective steel box is emotionally invested in their spot in the line.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I would love to be a fly on the brain casing of someone who thinks "I will endanger a human life because he gets to move faster thru traffic than me".

Thankfully so far everyone seems to be too shocked to react in time for attempted murder. Who is even at fault in a situation like that? Technically I can't lanesplit, but technically you can't smash into someone on purpose either. "I'm sorry officer, I was just switching lanes when this crazy hooligan broadsided me"?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The last mechanic I was at irreparably hosed up my ninjette, sooooooooooo I'm with you there

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

This is what indicates to me that you're not preparing enough. If you're seeing situations where you have to take direct and immediate action to avoid an accident, your choice of lanes position, maintenance of sight lines, etc, should be improved to preempt having to make emergency maneuvers.

For example, I had this encounter today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKyg8TYceI

If I had just dived for the split immediately, I would have gotten rear-ended at high speed - but by proceeding carefully and cautiously, it was a non-issue - no emergency stop, just didn't merge and waited for the guy to pass.

I love the subtle check to see if the gopro was recording afterwards. I do the same thing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't even know what happened here. This semi was on the shoulder of my lane. He started pulling out onto the road, so I went to pass him (legally), and he... continued on fully into the opposing lane and forced me into the grass/mini shoulder. He wasn't swinging wide for a turn, there weren't any on the right, and then he just kinda sat there in the wrong lane afterwards. :psyduck: :confused:

Backroads are wild sometimes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll try to remember to post it up sometime this week. Not that I'm blameless, since I was doing some pretty spirited riding and didn't slow down upon seeing it moving, just went to pass instead. If I had actually stopped and waited for him to do whatever, there wouldn't have been a problem at all :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I watch em during winter when I can't ride. I tried doing one, but realized I suck at talking about nothing :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good post nsaP. I do that most of the time, but sometimes forget myself after a few hours on completely empty roads. Certainly won't next time.

Slavvy posted:

Wait, you live in a place with an actual winter?

:qq: 5 months of icy sanded hell

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Goons stop getting rekt please :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Looks about my size.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

gently caress all y'all

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's why I wear my helmet 24/7

M42
Nov 12, 2012

t:mad:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the term is childish imo

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I work like 2 miles away from home so naaaah. Plus I don't like taking the SV for errands just cause it's kinda unwieldy on the street for a small person (probably just me). I prefer to do fun mountain rides with it, if I had a dual sport I'd use that for city a lot more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Shimrod posted:

They're actually quite good looking in person, the newer ones at least.

I'll have whatever he's having.