Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus Christ, the saga continues.

The cops just called me again and told me that they haven't had any further reports to investigate, but I should expect to get no slack in the event of a traffic stop "especially due to the reduced holiday speeding tolerance" because of my prior behaviour and my being flagged as a high speeding risk. He then, astonishingly, told me that I've been "spotted riding your motorcycle in the rain" which, verbatim "is a pretty dangerous thing to be doing, really" and that "I should probably think about finding alternative transport when the weather's rough" and then he went on to tell me how "you just don't know when something might happen and bikes tend to go down pretty instantly in those situations".

This was met with incredulous silence and yes/no/ok mouth noises from me. Then he told me to drive safe and slow down and hung up.

gently caress. This. Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm really beginning to think this is one of your mates loving with you. Are you positive you don't hear snickering in the background?

It isn't one of my mates, the first time he gave me a contact number and so on. My mates also don't have any idea what my license plate numbers are, or even which bikes I currently own.

NZ (the north island, at least) is like one gigantic retirement home. Nice place to be a kid, nice place to be a geriatric, loving terrible if you're capable of living life unassisted and want to do your own thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, I haven't seen her around recently. She's essentially my next-door neighbour, although about 40m of forest separates our houses so it isn't like she can see what I'm doing in my driveway. The problem with your counter-call plan is that she undoubtedly has a clean license and by her own admission is a social worker dealing with youth offenders. I may as well file charges against the loving pope.

Linedance posted:

Invercargill here you come, I guess!

Interestingly my only mate who rides is from there and I've only now rehabilitated him enough for him to realise that it's a sheep-shagging shithole.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a friend who is that guy. He bought a shitheap CX400 for $800 because "that was all I could spend and I wanted a good deal", which he will end up spending upwords of a grand on, which he is turning into a custocruisecaferacer, which is now in several discreet piles, which hasn't been worked on meaningfully in eight months, which is the grandest project ever.

But he won't jump on the slowest and shittiest bikes I own to learn, 'because it's dangerous!', he refuses to accept any advice which will get him actually riding a bike sooner, and is generally just really contrary and directionless.

Even when I deliberately try to instigate us working on the bike so I can make some meaningful progress happen, he tells me to let him work on it his own pace and not do everything for him.

It's loving depressing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Everyone everywhere sure has a lot of trouble getting over themselves about other people.

Probably more accurate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not me.

I know it's a Friday when it's 3pm and I still haven't had my lunch break and I'm bleeding the brakes on a 15 year old range rover that isn't cooperating.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you this guy?

Cause if you are, and someone invites you to go to a dinosaur island, AVOID THE TYRANNOSAURUS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me. Finally cajoled girly into coming for a ride with me. I followed her all the way; she's an amazingly good rider for someone with next to no experience. It was also the most law-abiding ride I've ever had on the ninja. Then when we near her folks' place, I ended up going in front for the last kilometer.

Inevitably, I went through a roundabout and the absolutely senile geriatric woman waiting to go just pulled out straight into girly. To her credit, she managed to bring the bike to a full stop before she got hit so the damage was extremely minor. Slight dent in the tank, broken indicator, snapped off mirror. Despite her having complete and absolute right of way, and there being three witnesses to say so, the woman just flat-out denied being at fault and insisted that she had right of way and girly 'came out of nowhere'.

I felt terrible because it was her first major (ie longer than 20km) ride, and her first ride with me, but her confidence seems completely unaffected. She said she was glad it wasn't me who got hit because the damage would've been a lot more expensive than a $20 mirror and indicator :unsmith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah the cops didn't get involved. Dealing with insurance over $50 worth of damage isn't worth it because it'd bollock the no-claims bonus over basically nothing. The woman had no insurance, so gently caress her. No sympathy; when I'm ancient I certainly won't be driving if I'm that inept.

Girly's wrist is sore so she'll go get it checked out tomorrow on the government's dollar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This happens constantly here; often the speed differential is as much as 30-40km/h. If I can accelerate a 1985 1.3 corolla to motorway speeds without giving it death, your 2008 Rav4 will manage it fine. Just put. your. foot on the gas for gently caress's sake. It drives me insane in a car; on a bike it immediately leads to an angry twist of throttle and a dangerous pass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Update: girly is off work for two weeks with a fractured wrist. Hooray!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The police wouldn't have mattered, state accident insurance covers the injury either way. The cops have her numberplate etc now, so they'll roll around to her house, affirm the side of the car is damaged, and nature will take it's course.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A few days ago girly and I were driving home along a street that t-junctions with my street. There is one house along that street that always seems to have three or four guys outside, in the driveway, dicking around with some kind of random vehicle. On that particular day, one of them was in the street talking to a guy on what looked like a naked bandit 600 or similar. Entirely black, all black riding gear, noisy as gently caress. I made the joke that we should call the cops on him and tell them "he's the guy!"

Cut forward to yesterday and girly hears a cop chasing a bike somewhere in the neighbourhood. She quickly jumps in her car and scoots around the corner to that same street, only to find that same guy has been pulled over.

This morning I pull into the gas station down the street (on my red bike, no less) and this is the conversation that ensued:

;-* Should you be riding that??
:raise: It isn't raining yet, I think I'll beat the weather, why...?
;-* No I mean didn't you lose your license??
:raise: ....what?
;-* I know you got pulled over yesterday and my husband said you lost your license so you shouldn't be riding around :colbert:
:raise: ...that wasn't me. Can I get my petrol now, or do you want me to show you my license first?

Then she told me I shouldn't be so rude and punched poo poo on her screen and I got to get my petrol and go to work.

gently caress. Me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Is this the same woman as before?

Nah it's a service station woman who I see pretty much every time I go to the gas station near my house. I don't know her, I don't smalltalk with her, but she would've seen my various bikes I guess.

NZ is a great place, honestly. It's just the people.

hot sauce posted:

:smith: Yes dear, I know. The motorbike is loud and the police will hopefully be taking care of it soon. Can we please go back to sleep

90% certain this is what happened.

BlackMK4 posted:

How do you not tell her to gently caress off after that? Good god. Dude, crash my couch. Arizona sucks but its better than there.

Xovaan posted:

^^ I believe so!

I have a guest bedroom in my house in San Diego if you wanna do a pit stop on the coast. I'll make you food and you can ride the Bandit while I ride my girlfriend's 250. :buddy:

I'm actually unable to get a passport at the moment. My parents decided to get their NZ citizenship when I was a kid (I came here at age seven) but left me as a 'permanent resident' which means I get all the rights of a citizen, minus actually being a citizen and having an NZ passport etc. Then they hosed off to Australia.

I'm trying to get my citizenship in order to get a passport and I've just gotten a letter from immigration telling me that the number of demerit points on my license indicate I have a disregard for traffic laws and 'may' indicate that I don't qualify as 'a person of good character' and that the bureau 'may' compile a report outlining this and present it to the minister, who will then decide whether or not to reject my application in order to 'give me sufficient time to demonstrate good character traits'. This would mean I lose the $450 application fee.

Alternatively I can withdraw my application now and get $390 of my fee back, then wait until the points expire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was born in Macedonia. My father already went through this. The Macedonian government requires that you visit them in person to get a passport and they don't have a consulate here. But he couldn't visit them in person because he couldn't leave the country because he didn't have a current passport....

So it was easier to just get NZ citizenship.

My mother was born a soviet so I'm hosed if I know what she did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Armchair Calvinist posted:

As much of a pain in the rear end as this situation is, at least it's interesting. :)

When you do figure out the situation, you'll always have a room in San Diego so we can hoon it before you ultimately visit San Francisco Bay Area and wonder why you ever came to San Diego. :v:

Also hell yeah my name change went through. Thanks, Noni!

I'm holding you to that :)

M42 posted:

:stare: Christ, I thought NZ was cool, turns out it's just Outraged Geriatric No Fun Zone.

My parents, too. Getting a proper passport after the ussr collapse wasn't hard, they just... issued new ones pretty much. It's the dual citizenship process it fucks with.

My mother has an industrial engineering degree which is pretty much just a worthless piece of paper with CCCP on it. NZ is cool if you like to do outdoorsy tramping/sailing type stuff. Also Auckland is much, much stuffier than most of the rest of the country; in a small town with a handful of cops where everyone knows everyone, it wouldn't be too big a problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

World's fastest paddleboat, or world's fastest ocean-going loop-de-loop device?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

She looks almost exactly like this and has the accent to match.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aren't French superbikes all limited to 100hp because of some retarded law?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I share your pain. My custom-made by arabs two piece suit is on it's way. Hopefully it isn't too dreadful; the guy emailed me after a week telling me to re-confirm measurements because the tailor couldn't understand how I could have the same sized waist and chest, the chest must be bigger, surely? :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I went for a spin on my favourite road to wear in my new leathers on sunday and discovered, to my dismay, that the police serious crash unit have decided that this road, literally 30km from anywhere in any direction, needs to be monitored for problem speeders because people with sportscars and bikes go there. A female cop waved me down and gave me a big lecture about not speeding et al.

Now I have to find somewhere else to go. NZ has lots of amazing roads but none of them are anywhere near loving Auckland.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Knowing what we know about NZ only from this thread and from slavvys posts, I'd hazard a guess that its the latter

It was this. As it happens, I was giving it death but the road has a 100km/h speed limit and I was going around a very low speed corner so wasn't breaking the limit.

Coredump posted:

Sometimes that poo poo happens here in the States as well. If a road gets popular with bikers and sports cars out in the middle of East Bumblefuck then the amount of police presence can get obscene. Other than the bikers and a few mom & pop corner stores there's literally no one around. I feel like the plice could make better use of their time than harass bikers. But then they would have to turn down that sweet sweet ticket money.

Yup. Voting has nothing to do with it. Targeting bikers is easy because they're enough of a minority to have no ability to lobby the government in defence, and they're an extremely easy source of revenue. Especially when you factor in the 'speed kills' moral high-horse the police operate on currently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Three wheelers don't need actual bike riding ability AFAIK :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wesley snypes posted:

Nothing new going on here, but I'm trying to sell my bike and I've counted:

-two people asking for my best price
-one trade for a gmc jimmy, another for a chevy s10 with cut springs
-one guy who texted me two minutes before he was supposed to come have a look at it, saying that he had "literally just bought one from the dealer, lol".

holy christ just put a bullet in me already

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?? WHYYYYYYYYYY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how everyone who says anything sensible is drowned out by a chorus of inarticulate NUH-UH!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I took a picture of this but my phone doesn't seem to want to work with imgur today.

Front page headline on the only relevant national newspaper in NZ:

MOTORBIKE WARNING
With a picture of a totalled naked bike of some kind and beside it two bullet points saying:

* Speed behind string of biker deaths, say police
* 'Twit' motorists and 'born-again' riders help cause high crash rates, expert claims

The 'string' of biker deaths was half a dozen people in the past couple of months. I'm absolutely certain this will be fanned to hysterical proportions and the government will be forced to Do Something and it will be bad for me. gently caress this place, give me a citizenship so I can leave you cunts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clueless bureaucrats juking stats?? Well I never!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What sort of helmet is it so I know to never buy one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have done that, while riding, at people driving tarted up rice rockets trying to look cool. It's like watching the anger of a toddler.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't see the functional difference in visibility between 'hey look a guy on a bike' and 'hey look a fuckwit on a bike'.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But...but...they're the Honda of Italy :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've heard it said before, as a way of articulating how apparently reliable they are nowadays :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preferably up and down too, then quickly flick it up and away from the direction of the urinal entirely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to sell my bike online and I want to gouge my loving eyes out. For reference, central auckland and henderson are about 20km and six or seven suburbs apart. Henderson is actually part of 'waitakere city' in an administrative sense.

"Hey where abouts are you so I can look at the bike?"
"Henderson, when did you want to have a look?"
"Are you near the CBD at all? It said in the ad central auckland"
"Nope not at all, it says in the sellers details 'waitakere city' and in my description I said bike is located in Henderson."
"Sorry man I'm looking at a bunch of bikes I must be mixed up"
"Ok"
"Dad is in Glen Eden [two or three suburbs away] are you around there lots?"
:suicide:

JUST GET OFF YOUR loving rear end AND COME TO LOOK AT THE BIKE OR gently caress OFF YOU STUPID oval office!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How about "yo do u wont to swop for my bike + cash? its a 92 fzr600 heaps of work done" verbatim? Yes, happily, I'll subtract a grand off the price and take your hosed old bike to sell as parts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you got a floor jack? I did my ZRX forks with a floor jack to lift and axle stands to hold the bike up on the frame slider knobs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Have you got a floor jack? I did my ZRX forks with a floor jack to lift and axle stands to hold the bike up on the frame slider knobs.

Z3n posted:

You can just put a floor jack under the exhaust or a solid part of the cases with the bike on the sidestand and get the front forks off that way. I do that quite often.

:colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or just get some 90 degree valve stems next time you do your tyres, Christ.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just as I start thinking I'm about to climb out of the financial hole I've been in for six months, my girlfriend has a fight with me, drives off to do a midnight shift at a job she hates and manages to crash the car badly enough to immobilise it. At 11pm on a loving tuesday. So shortly, I'll have to ride out to wherever she is and try to get the car started in the pissing rain with whatever tools I can carry in a backpack. And then (because she has no money), I'll have to sink a senseless amount of cash into fixing the turd. Which I literally put up for sale three hours ago with a vastly superior replacement vehicle already lined up. Goodbye, having a car that isn't a roulette wheel of reliability, and goodbye having any kind of a life or any spare cash for the next god knows how long!

Oh, and this is my fault because if I weren't such a dick, none of this would've happened! Obviously!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dellikose posted:

Got a replacement girlfriend lined up too?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Maybe Slav should pull an elaborate prank where he breaks up with her, finds a responsible mature person, and continues the prank for the rest of his life!

The prank should also involve him buying a red Husqvarna for obvious reasons.

(Just joshing Slav, sounds like y'all got some stresses. No offense to your chick)
She's been under a huge amount of pressure and said sorry and admitted she was being an idiot. So that's that.

What happened was the motorway was reduced to one lane due to a prior crash. Traffic went from 100 to zero very quickly. Despite this, she had more than enough time to stop etc (she's a very good driver, driving is her job) but when she tried, she found a deodorant can had rolled under the brake pedal and she ended up rear-ending a Honda Odyssey. Our car is completely totalled, and she had cancelled the insurance on it for *reasons*. Hooray!

At least the wrecker will give me $400 for it, so that's something. Currently she's riding the Hyosung to work and I'm rocking the ninja, a situation that is untenable long-term so the scramble is on to get a cheap car.

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2014