Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It all got fixed when Google maps took off and everyone started using their data set, which defaulted to my house instead of the empty unit.

Man, Google maps. It's just fed the GIS data provided by the town, but sometimes that's not great. I live in a house that was built in 2012, on a weird-shaped 5 acre plot that extends out to the nearby cul de sac, which is the next right after you pass my house (or left, before my house, depending). My address is ### Main St, and for the first year we lived here, delivery drivers would follow their Waze/GMaps down to an empty lot in the cul de sac, call me, and ask where my house is. Dude the address I gave is on loving Main St, just go to Main St and stop when you get to the number provided.

The place I lived before this was a townhouse in a relatively new complex, and UPS refused to grant me an account because they couldn't verify that my address was a residence. It took them 6 weeks. I'd call and tell them to just Google the loving address but they still needed to go through a formal inquiry to apparently determine whether or not I lived in an industrial complex.

The internet really does make you stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The amount of stupid bullshit I had to pull off my KLX230 to replace a tail light was astounding. But that says nothing of the engine, maintenance intervals, reliability, etc.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I took my Jeep to dinner with some friends tonight and on the way there was this bumpy/hilly/curvy road that goes over some train tracks. Coming from the opposite side there was a girl in no gear riding a CBR about two feet over the yellow line in my lane, coming at me. I honked, because I wanted her to not die, and she gave me the finger after getting back behind the vehicle in front of her. After I passed her she went back to riding on the wrong side of the road.

Stay in your loving lane you squid idiot.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
When I park my Harley overnight places I’ll put a Kryptonite lock on each wheel: a rotor lock on the front, and one of the big U locks on the rear, lock the forks, and arm the (factory) alarm. But I also take everything valuable out of my bags because even though it’s a 900lb motorcycle that you can’t wheel anywhere, you can pick a barrel lock with a bic pen.

But I think these have some form of LoJack from the factory. I also keep an Invoxia GPS on the bike. I’m hoping it would just be too annoying to steal.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Rade, obviously.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mister Speaker posted:

I call it 'Ride Home From Cottaging'

Huh. I learned a new word today.

btw that's from Google, not even Urban Dictionary.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I was behind someone driving like a lost dipshit one time pull over to be polite and let me pass, but they pulled over right in front of my driveway and just made it weird for all of us.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Love it when the person across from me who got to the 4 way stop first is waving me to go ahead of them and turn across their path, while they inch forward. Just stick to the rules so I don't have to guess what's in your mind thanks.

If I put my feet down waiting for someone who got to an intersection first, I just look away. They won't keep waving you on if you're staring at the sky.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Can I please just register my goddamn dual sport to ride on the three trails we have in Massachusetts? Doing so requires an OHV registration through the EPA Police. Online registration is suspended because, reasons, and in-person registration has been cancelled since March of 2020. Calling them just gives you a voice message saying "lol get hosed" but that they're still reading their mail. I guess I have to mail the form, with a check, to one of the addresses and hope for the best. Also the form is laid out like you're registering a boat, so most of the fields don't apply.

Watching videos of people riding amazing trails out on the west coast makes me super jealous. We have a few state forests and a bunch of power lines.

Back to riding illegally I guess. Hope I don't get bagged by the fish warden.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Watch out for horse people in gray areas. Not centaurs, people who like and ride horses. They tend to be assholes and often have connections to rural law enforcement.

Horse people are so loving weird. I get that we're all enthusiasts but their enthusiasm for horses goes to a strange degree. But I will also, as always, be on the lookout for centaurs.

right arm posted:

you'll be on a dirt bike dude, just ride away lol

I always pull my plate off when I ride offroad in case some cop wants to try and chase me down some high voltage access roads lol

I dunno I watched a video of a dude puttering through some trails and the EPA Police came absolutely BOMBING past on a sxs. I don't think I have the skill required for evasion in the forest.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Centaurs shouldn't be a problem. How fast can they go? They make like one horsepower.

It's the archery that gets you. CE ratings don't include defense from projectiles.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Yeah nah this is a new thing I think, they don't normally have a side stand switch or any kind of neutral interlock at all.

My Road Glide doesn't. Which is actually how I realized why the side stand retracts so easily. I'm always nervous and frustrated that it just kind of flops down, and if you roll the bike forward it retracts. It's so if you forget to pull the stand up and pull away, and you turn, the stand will collapse in instead of causing you to crash. Which is a stupid solution to a problem that already has a solution.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Russian Bear posted:

The jump to comprehensive that would cover theft is 85 -> 450 for me. I'm hoping after 1 year of riding that will go down.

:stare: That seems like the insurance company's way of letting you know your bike is absolutely going to get stolen and they'd have to pay for it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

lol I pay $1400/year for comprehensive on the Ninja 650 and basic liability on the DRZ. I would murder for $450.

What the hell. I have comprehensive, collision, medpay, roadside assistance, and pretty much every other option. For my Road Glide, Ducati Scrambler, and the KLX together it's $730/yr.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clarkson's a prat, but on this he's not wrong

He also once said that if you drive a Hyundai, you probably don't care very much about cars or driving, and if you don't care much about driving you're probably not very good at it, and so you shouldn't have a drivers license.

Once of the truest things said about Hyundais, honestly.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

So that is terrifying and now making me second guess anything I'm doing when re-assembling the engine when it comes to fuel/air mixture.

I've seen some of your DIY posts, and you're far too cautious and methodical to do something so stupid. I also don't know poo poo about engines, but I wouldn't look at an old spark plug next to that new one and think "yeah, good enough, what could go wrong?"

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXLwpTbITo&t=183s

uhhh is it just me or is this a staged shot where they made a dog run out into the road

Jesus. Yeah, 100%. The rider even looks off to whoever called the dog over after it cleared the road.

This was only 9 years after Milo and Otis.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Revvik posted:

…I mean, you DID kill it, right??

I assume he actually shredded his knee and elbow beating the poo poo out of the motorcycle after it tossed him.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
SKULLS FROM THE SKULL STORE

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

In 40C+ heat? Nein danke!

I don’t get burns but I do get a pretty solid stripe of extra tan in that gap. Every time I do a summer cross-country trip I spend a lot of the time putting my arms into weird positions to try and cut down how much sun my wrists get, swearing that this time I’ll remember to find some solution to pack into my gear. Guess what I still haven’t gotten around to yet!

As for a better fitting jacket / gloves, every summer glove I’ve found is this short and this jacket otherwise fits me perfectly, I’d have to go with something custom to fix this. :shrug: not gonna spend $$$ on custom leather for this.

Edit: this all came out weirdly defensive. It’s more that it’s something that I’m looking into solutions for, and also something that I obsess about for 16 hours each time I cross a desert because there’s nothing else to focus on.

Sunblock was mentioned but wearing that stuff under leathers while also camping nightly sounds like a really gross time.

These are pretty cool. Linking those specific ones as an example, but they're usually 30-50 SPF/UPF and don't make it feel any hotter. You can usually find them at sporting goods stores or just out on the internets.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
If you're going to blow the light, just blow the loving light. Don't stop in the middle of the goddamn intersection.

I swear to god every time I leave my house some dickhead pulls poo poo like this. The crossover on the right actually just rolled through the entire intersection without stopping. Once the light turned green the car on the left took off at about 20mph over the speed limit. Both of them had kids in the car.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Remy Marathe posted:

Do they think that's where you're supposed to stop? :psyduck: I can't think of any other line of reasoning (including rear end in a top hat reasoning) that would put a car there let alone 2 of them.

My best guess, because I've seen it so many times at this intersection, is the car on the left had a yellow arrow and waited for traffic, but waited past the time the light changed to red and just stayed there. The one on the right assumed the light was green because this jackwagon was halfway into the intersection so figured it was fine to just roll through (with her foot on the brake the entire time - for safety, presumably).

Jazzzzz posted:

Judging by the plates he's in Massachusetts; they don't call drivers there massholes for nothin'

Human rights and health insurance at the cost of safety on the road. But having spent most of my life in southern MA, Rhode Island drivers are much much worse.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

There's a junction near me where there are multiple stop lines. Heading south you have to stop at the earlier one if you haven't crossed it when the traffic light changes for the pedestrian crossing.

Many junctions in residential areas have these markings. Nobody understands whose turn it is so everyone dithers until someone goes for it.

:psyduck:

wow my most boring post ever

"We really wanted to put a rotary here but that would require some effort, so good luck."

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

do bikers still do the thing where they pull over at the RI state line to take their helmets off, then do the same but to put them back on again when they're coming back from Providence or wherever

I met a guy once who used to throw his (halfshell) helmet into the grass median before approaching the state line, then just pull over and collect it on the way back.

Return Loss posted:

Exactly. I sometimes wish that it was acceptable to wear my helmet more places when off the bike, just to have my hands free for other stuff. Walking into my place of work, a quick dash into a shop etc.

Unless I have to take mine off or it's really hot, or I'll be in there a while, I just pretend I'm The Mandalorian and leave my helmet on at all times.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

Question for the room: What relationship do you have with the top speed of your motorcycles?

I've gone 100 on my Road Glide passing someone. I didn't like it. Likewise, I've probably gone 75-80 on the Ducati Scrambler. I didn't like that either. I don't particularly like going fast on motorcycles as my purchase history would probably indicate.

But I've gone about 140 in my Hellcat (on the track). That car is extremely easy to speed in; there's very little to notice cruising at 70mph versus 100ish.

Overall as I approach my late 30s I don't really like going fast in anything. I know it's not the speed that kills, but the suddenly becoming stationary is a concern.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Oooooh, the Hellcat is well cool, how are you liking it?

I love this car, but there's a learning curve for sure. My last car was a regular R/T Challenger with 375 HP. It was faster than your average 4000lb car, but nothing too dangerous. When I got the Hellcat, I assumed 707HP would be like 375HP but quicker. Like all the same things would happen over a shorter timeline. In reality, it's very easy to put your foot down and then, well, die. The first week I had the car I was at a red light right before a highway onramp, and a BMW pulled up beside me, clearly intending to get out in front of me and get on the onramp first. When the light turned green, I put my foot down, and in the span of about 2 seconds I could tell the car was going faster than my old Challenger, I could hear it shifting, I could hear the exhaust, but it didn't really feel 700HP fast. That's when I looked in the rearview and realized I was doing a rolling burnout through the intersection. It must have scared the poo poo out of the other cars but I couldn't stop laughing.

So one of the first things I did when I got the car was autocross. I wanted to see what it would take to lose control, and then what I would need to do to regain control in as close to laboratory-like circumstances as I could get. Turns out it's a lot more manageable than you'd think, even for so much power to the rear wheels. I drive it a lot more conservatively than I probably could, but it's nice knowing I'm faster than 99% of other cars on the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBizyz6DzI

It's pretty impractical. The trunk is large, the seats are comfortable, the rear seats are almost usable (maybe fully usable if your passenger is under the age of 15), but living in Massachusetts you cannot drive a car like this through the winter. I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee though, so I put summer tires on the Hellcat and just start it up every so often when it's snowing.

It's the most fun you can have in a RWD vehicle for under $100k. I'd like a Porsche 911 or an Audi R8, but I like the fact that this could be easily confused for a $18k rental car unless you know what you're looking at (or you hear the exhaust). Also I can't find a 911 or an R8 to save my life, so I'm content with the Hellcat for now.

ok I think that's the most I can talk about a 4-wheeled vehicle in CA

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Teslas I worry around because my anecdotal evidence is that anyone I know that bought a Tesla were never interested in driving cars before and I don't believe they're gonna be good at it

There's a quote from Top Gear, at the time about Hyundai, but I think it applies. "If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: 'I have no interest in cars.' If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you should have your driver’s license taken away."

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

epswing posted:

Ehhh… some people have interest in cars, but buy a rubbish car because that’s what their budget allows. The quote is close to saying “poor people are bad drivers and shouldn’t have a license” which is obviously wrong and bad.

A cheap car is not inherently bad. Teslas are extremely expensive and the people who own them couldn't give less of a poo poo about driving. I'm talking more about 4-wheeled appliances than budget-conscious automobiles.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Where does my $800 Odyssey land

Hopefully right side up, because I assume you've removed the seats and put a motorcycle in it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Nah it's for trucking my kid around, it handles like a car though which is pretty cool

Hopefully it handles better than a Dodge Grand Caravan. That's the scariest loving vehicle I've ever driven in my life and I daily a car with 700 horsepower.

Honestly shitboxes don't even register as an "avoid this vehicle." Minivans, yeah, because sometimes the driver is turned a full 180 degrees to hit their children while driving, but my point with the Top Gear quote about rubbish cars was like.. The Pontiac Aztec. Chevy Avalanche. Chevy Cobalt. Dodge Avenger. Ford Escape (this is what my wife drives). Every single thing made by Tesla. Maserati Quattroporte.

Those people couldn't give a gently caress about driving, because those cars are just set up to go A to B before they completely disintegrate after 5 years. If there was a button they could push that would make the car just take them to work, they would push it. They don't need to be cheap to be terrible.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Idk for me the most dangerous people on the road are Ford ranger drivers because they have the belligerence and insecurity of a chimpanzee with a tiny penis.

Second worst are Lexus SUV drivers because they are unaware of the existence of other road users or the concept of road rules.

Agreed. In Massachusetts I avoid anyone in a pickup truck because they generally have ego issues (esp small pickups that aren’t fleet vehicles), anyone in a luxury car/SUV because they’re probably distracted, and anyone with a green license plate because that means they’ve had a registration for like 50 years and they’re probably too old to be driving. Nobody can get a green plate as of 1987.

Also any of the aforementioned “these people don’t care about driving so they’re probably bad at it” cars. Minis and VW Bugs also make that list. It’s a long list.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Audis are driven by total bellends in the UK.

I rented a black Audi when I went to Germany so I can confirm, because I probably drove it like a total bellend.

Man I really wish that word was used here in the states, it's great. Also calling people "spanner." You guys have the best slang.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

Someone new is parking a Ruckus in one of the motorcycle lots at work. I know they're new because they're perpendicular to the direction every other bike parks :argh:

Causing a ruckus parking their Ruckus?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

What is your favorite shape of man hole

There's actually an engineering interview question like this that I used to ask: why are manhole covers round? There's two answers to the question that I'm looking for: how someone reacts to something so absurd while wanting to give an answer, and the actual technical reason for it. My rationale is that sometimes you're going to get asked a question in a meeting that you have absolutely no expectation for, so it gauges how well people can think on their feet.

But manhole covers are round because there's no way to orient the lid that it can fall through the hole. Also because 'round' is a lot easier to manufacture than anything else.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

BabelFish posted:

So you can pack more of them in a box.

Yeah same reason Johnnie Walker bottles are square. But some ad wizard at Wendy's made a campaign about how McDonalds cuts corners because their patties are round.

Finger Prince posted:

I know a guy named Murphy who will take that engineering assertion and jam a round manhole cover halfway down its shaft just to prove a point.

Generally I'm hiring people to fix where Murphy's been.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
"Crabs in a bucket" should really be changed to "pickup truck drivers in traffic."

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

I just bought a new Harley at my local dealership and it was weird.

This is not an exaggeration. When I bought a Harley at Boston Harley Davidson, they did all the same poo poo, then took a picture of me with the bike in front of the dealership, and sent it to me in a frame with a "certificate of ownership." Ringing the "I just beat cancer" bell was the weirdest fuckin part though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Crushing other riders' heads should be outlawed on the track.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

T Zero posted:

Just in case anyone wanted to see what the process actually looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQz9PsUPAc&t=24s

That's a dumb bad place for a battery that, if my Scrambler is any indication, is definitely going to die on you.

RE seats, on my bikes:

Harley Road Glide - two bolts behind the seat. One thumbscrew if you're using one of those front/rear combo seats, but it's also bolted down with a leather oh poo poo strap.

Ducati Scrambler - As said, key.

Kawasaki KLX230 - key to remove one side plastic, force to remove the other, then six (?) bolts of two different sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Remy Marathe posted:

I mean to be fair that's true of the culture at large as well.

I've somehow managed to build an entire unwanted career in management because blathering assholes keep threatening to bubble to the top and become my incompetent boss.

If it helps, you're not alone. I even left my last job at an executive level because I just wanted to be an individual contributor but here I am in management again.