Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Geekboy posted:

It is not a coincidence that the old men who spend their time on the Triumph Rat forum don’t believe in climate change and also need a thread about how to avoid Facebook scams.

Thread title: Upgrading your Speed Triple on a budget because you liquidated your 401k to buy Google Play giftcards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Invalido posted:

Search engine searchable internet forum posts contain so much knowledge, it's a shame that part of the internet is dying and humanity is worse off for it.

I loving hate the modern internet. 10-15 years ago I could google a technology problem I was having, like Procurve RIP routes not advertising or whatever, and I'd immediately find a forum post where someone experiencing the same issue was walked through the resolution by some old sysadmins who'd brute-forced the problem in the past. Now you're more likely to get a page of ads from some bullshit startups with too much advertising money wanting you to buy their garbage whitebox switches with a recurring management subscription.

Same goes for every single problem a human could potentially face, from troubleshooting motorcycles to interior decorating. The mighty dollar dictates that the internet should be used as little as possible for human interaction, and instead to funnel as much capital to subscription services as they can achieve before everyone goes bankrupt.

At least there's still instructional YouTube videos, but without the dislike button you can't be sure whether the 15 minute video (that contains 8 minutes of some rear end in a top hat bloviating) is actually correct until whatever you're working on catches fire.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

It’s not all bad. The stackexchange sites, despite all the complaints about their over-moderation and deletion of good questions, are so much better than the pay-for-answer “experts exchange” site(s) that they set out to supplant.

Maybe given enough time we can root out the other cancers of the modern internet.

The best part of Experts Exchange was pre-hyphen when we all called it expert sex change.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
A couple years ago I was fully stopped at a red light on my Scrambler when suddenly a work van coming up behind me just drives off the road into a ditch. I gave him the universal sign of "what the gently caress, man?" and he sheepishly waved back.

Apparently he wasn't paying attention and I appreciate him driving into a ditch instead of loving up my entire year.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

spouse posted:

Dude's going through a rough divorce

quote:

bought an MT-07, put an ebay pipe on it, decided it was too slow. Then he bought a Street Triple Moto 2, then a Panigale V2 in a matter of weeks.

Sounds about right.

Reddit is such a great source for people making bad decisions.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

It makes me feel like they're going to say "no, that's |20 not 120"

WORKS ON CONTINGENCY?
NO, MONEY DOWN!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Quite A Tool posted:

They need to get with the times with many things, but the turn signals drive me crazy more than anything.

At least you’re not like a certain Goldwing owner who made that same comment about the complexity of hitting a button with your right hand to turn right when this is the switch cluster on your average wing:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Two separate turn signal buttons isn’t hard, it’s just dumb

Given that they’re apparently the only vehicle manufacturer on earth that puts turn signal controls in two separate locations I can’t really disagree with you. But I will say when wearing thickass gloves it’s nice to have a big button rather than a little switch.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I used to scoff at people having problems like that, owning three bikes with different controls, seating positions and uh, usability.

Then I bought my MT-09SP with up/down quick-shifter and other shebangs and riding my SV for the first time in forever yesterday was a miserable experience.

"Why is the clutch so weird, why is the suspension so bad, why is the lighting so weak, why is the seating so cramped, oh god I tried to downshift without the clutch again" etc etc etc

My three bikes are about as different as possible. It helps to not even consider them the same class of vehicle. So it's less like getting confused on Bike A versus Bike B, and more like, the difference between a kayak and my Grand Cherokee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

Motorcycling made me give up on learning to fly, I’ve done so much stupid get-there-itis decision making on two wheels that would have killed me in a plane.

So I recognized that in myself and decided not to get into piloting.

poo poo. I’ve wanted a pilots license for a while but that’s such an insanely good point I hadn’t considered that I should maybe hold off.

I like to think I’m a pretty safe rider but there’s certainly been instances where I’ve said “well that was dumb but it worked out.. I’ll just never do that again.” Narrower margin for error in a plane.