Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two separate turn signal buttons isn’t hard, it’s just dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took the kiddos out on a dirt bike ride yesterday. All was well for the first couple miles, until my youngests Suzuki JR50 started acting up. At first it was stalling at stops, I'd have to kick it with the throttle wide open in order to start it, so that says rich mixture to me. I tried to tweak the carb a bit to back the air screw out, but it didn't seem to have a ton of effect. Of course it only stalled in direct sunlight, so the 90 degree weather was not super conducive to working on a hot engine. Eventually, it just straight up died and wouldnt start again.

Of course we were about 20 miles from the car and trailer at that point, so we had to rely on the kindness of a random ATV dude who offered to load the bike up on a trailer that he was pulling and take it to a gas station that was about 10 minutes away. So we left the bike there and my son hitched a ride on the RV90 with me so we could get to the car and trailer and go back to rescue his bike.

Naturally the RV90 and the CRF70 that my oldest was riding ran perfectly.

So, I'm thinking a couple things:

1) Clogged air filter. This is by far the easiest answer, and easiest to check/fix. Although I did just look at the filter this spring and it seemed fine, so I doubt thats it, not that it couldnt have inhaled the filter into the venturi or something though.
2) Float jammed open. I smacked the carb bowl with a rock a couple times, and it didnt seem to have an effect, but this still isnt out of the question.
3) Clogged pipe. Its a 50cc two stroke, so the pipe is very narrow by the head, and years of PO fuckery may have meant that it was barfing carbon into the pipe for a long time.

The PO did have a bunch of holes drilled in the airbox cover, which I assumed was the standard PO idea that "more=better", so I plugged them, but now I wonder if it was a bandaid to fix a rich running problem that they couldn't chase down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is also, I suppose, the 4th, comedy option of "Completely hosed jetting that some PO did" but the fact that it ran OK before makes me think this isnt it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I refuse to believe that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I mean is it totally could be the top end and I just don’t want to do a top end

On the flip side the motor is tiny so it probably takes like 10 minutes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It's the top end op

It was this, op

It made 70 psi on a compression test and the internet seems to suggest that these motors won’t even run under 90 PSI, even though it definitely was.

It’s donions

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where it ultimately left this mortal coil was on the dustiest trail imaginable that isn’t straight up sand.

Wisconsin is dry as hell right now.

I even hosed it all down before I pulled the top end :cripes:

Got one of these on the way: https://www.powersportsdiscount.com/product/42381/wiseco-top-end-kit-020-78-06-jr50-jr-50-piston-gaskets-bearing-41-5mm

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a 50cc, so the piston is tiny, but it’s a bit of both.