Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
The worst thing: snow that piles up on your visor and doesn't loving slide off. Just spent an hour and a half doing 60 mph in a 35 degree snowstorm with my helmet totally open since wiping it off with my glove was just smearing it around.

COME ON, IT'S loving MAY I SHOULDN'T BE POSTING ABOUT SNOW aaaaargh oh well I tried to go camping, I gave it a good honest effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
That was the right thing. Kids are lovely drivers and generally don't need to be punished even more for their mistakes, as long as they're the kind person that's actually going to learn from it. I know at least I made a few driving mistakes and had people give me a little slack, so I'm glad it worked out reasonably for you both there.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Akion posted:

As a Coloradan, I'd like to give a nice healthy "gently caress You" to the rear end in a top hat drivers that come here from California. Coming down from Mt. Evans to Idaho Springs today, and about half way down I start smelling brakes, bad. Wind up behind a CRV with cali tags who is putting along riding her brakes at the slightest hint of a turn. No problem, I'd rather she not kill herself and back up traffic.

Then the road straightens out and becomes a passing zone, so I drop a gear and go to pass her. The oval office speeds up and paces me to almost 70 before I get by her.

What the loving gently caress?

That's every single time you get into the mountains, it seems like no driver knows what the low gear on their car is for, and anything near I-70 on a weekend, just...ugh.

But they are being helpful by speeding up when the road straightens out so you can make up some time :downs:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Radbot posted:

It's this bad boy: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/728-oh-my-god-road-usa.html

It looks pretty doable, but I'm a bit frightened about coming down a 12% grade on street tires.

It's doable, on par with pretty much any well used forest service road. There's a bit of a pucker factor at times around some of the squirrely higher grade corners, but that could just be me sucking at riding this is what it is.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's 119 and Peak to Peak look like lately? I'm doing Estes-Granby-Idaho Spgs-Ned-Lyons on Sunday.
Wave if you see a couple black and red naked Secas.

All in good condition. A few more potholes on peak to peak than last year, but nothing crazy. If you're going into Lyons, 7 takes you straight there and sees less traffic than Boulder Canyon, though they have been routing some of the 36 traffic through there lately.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I've seen how much poo poo disabled people have to put up with, like people constantly using the handicapped spots as a "5 minute parking" zone so they can run inside for their double-caramel-frappucano. Or when people think that blocked off ramp area next to the handicapped spot is actually a free parking space so handicapped people can't actually get their ramp down and forces them to drive to an open corner spot in the back of the lot so they have enough space to actually get out. Sucks about the parking spot, but it's got to be extra lovely having to drive one of those ramp-vans around.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Elviscat posted:

Fortunately being single and making a good income allows me to save for retirement, and buy multiple bikes to fill the giant gaping void in my lonely soul!
At least you don't have to deal with the "I can't believe you're abandoning me to go ride your stupid bike on Sunday instead of going to my parent's house" argument.

The worst part of that is when you're parked head in to the driveway you can't even wheelie away a boss after that. It is a tragedy.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Akion posted:

I mean... the Appalachians are really pretty as long as you aren't there in mid-July or something. But yeah, the cons far outweigh the pros of living in the South.

That said, I moved from Georgia to Colorado for a reason.

To be fair, in CO on my last trip I had to stop in the middle of a 20mph blind corner because there was a cow in the road. This happened 3 times over the course of 4 days. It's like something you'd see in Road Rash, where there's a rock or cow or oil tanker parked right around corner.

dammit cow just move already and stop looking at me like I'm the dumb one, I don't want to be judged by my food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Phy posted:

^^^ Road Rash taught me that you can catch sick loving air off a cow if it's lying down, did you ramp off it

o god i didn't I'm such a noob :ohdear: