Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Why don't modern bikes with fuel injection like apply the break light when engine braking? Seems trivial to implement. In gear, clutch engaged, throttle below a threshold, light up the brake light.

There are after market kits that do that via accelerometers but it feels like it should be standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yeah basically.
Like in stop and go traffic. You might let off the throttle in a lower gear without pulling the clutch lever if the person in front slows down. It might confuse the driver behind. So ya don't get rear ended. I am trying to always have a habit of using the brakes though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yeah I mean like technically a lot of things on bikes are optional. Why have ABS get in your way when you can control how hard you brake and keep it under the threshold of locking wheels? Why have linked brakes? It seemed kind of a harmless idea unless it didn't work well, ie going off too much.

I've been driving cars long enough to where I have gotten salty over things like ABS or tire pressure monitoring, traction control systems etc. Like just give me control kinda thing.

I am completely new to bikes but I think there is a little bit of a parallel there. It's nice to have options if you can turn them off if you don't like it, haha.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2021

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Re: cop magnets
Like, here, the news keeps running articles about how police won't chace motorcycles because it is dangerous. Is that not the case elsewhere?

I'm a new and pretty careful rider, so it doesn't impact me much personally.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Supradog posted:

This is default teaching in the Norwegian Mc drivers ed. 80 kmh zone getting reduced to 60kmh that you can engine brake, as you ARE paying attention to your FUNCTIONAL rear mirrors, if you got cars behind you touch your brakes to rouse them out of their stupor.

Haha.
Yeah they didn't touch that at all in my MC safety class. You are right it is my responsibility to know who is behind me when I am slowing down and if they are paying attention, how much space there is etc. If I am not paying attention to that I shouldn't be riding.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

RadioPassive posted:

Huh. Should I quit looking for used ninja 400s and shop for something else? I want a 2-4 cylinder <500cc street/sport bike, is the rest of the new ninja just gonna be hosed at this level?

Meh. My Kawasaki Versys-X 300 was similar when I tried to install crash bars. They called for removing all of the fairings. I was able to do it without it by pulling a little bit on the front fairing to get a thin wrench in.

My MSF instructor said he has to tear apart his whole Goldwing to get at the air filter. I think it is just how it is.

At some point I am going to have to acquire the service manual for my bike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I can't see that any mechanic has given a crap about torque specs on bikes in the area, from my rear axle on the kawasaki the first time I adjusted my chain or my friend's fairings that cracked and flew off. The strategy there is somewhat follow torque specs and then threadlock all the things. All bolts are probably stretched and ruined and oily anyway.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sounds like a good time to install all steel brake lines and justify it as an improvement instead of just working to get back to a baseline..ya know.. while you are in there 😉

At least that's how my kind works. We can rebuild it... better... stronger than before.../weird six billion dollar man reference

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I don't weigh enough to get my bike on the center stand I just installed 🙃
You have to roll it on, it kinda slides. I have managed to get it on like 2/20 tries, and it has only had enough clearance to do chain maintenance once out of those two

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Bikes are fun and all that, but when your only vehicle is a bike and your car is on jack stands and you are riding around town for tools and car parts it's not a happy time. 🙃

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

:lol:

Yes but bikes are so much simpler and better to work on than dogshit rust belt 10 year old ford escapes.

I'd rather have a down bike knowing that Revzilla has my parts on backorder and....yeah. Sigh. Everything is very upsetting right now.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 30, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Cars are evil and terrible

Yes. I genuinely feel also that while bikes are very competitive...they are still manufactured to a higher standard than cars. Like my bike is full of stainless hardware yet it's entry level.

Look at the Ford Ecoboost engine. They tried to save some pennies shifting to an open deck block. Cars are mass manufactured bottom dollar junk - Ford tried to save weight, metal, but now the head gaskets blow, they eventually got sued and a recall is in place for some vehicles.

Bikes are moving in the more and more reliable direction as a general statement. Less money to be saved in cost savings only "optimizations" due to lower volume of sales?

Though I am seeing stories of cracked swingarms of recent Z125s and Groms on FB. It is unsettling. Though maybe dumb people are stretching them with swingarm extensions.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Mmm...a friend rode my kayo dirtbike bike now he wants one.
There's a 2022 on FB marketplace with "damaged brakes"

Originally 1700, then fell to 1000 after a week.

The kayo tt140 is msrp $2000, $2700 after shipping and assembly and other dealer stuff here
I see them list for 1800 on occasion, used.

I went to go look at it for my buddy....got it up on stands..

Cut brakeline, no rear caliper, bone dry rear master

Rear rotor hitting swingarm, cardboard where the wheel spacer should be

Idk, spot rust on exhaust, missing rear wheel spokes, front wheel out of true maybe 1mm just at a glance on stands against the calipers.

I don't know how to value the bike.
For $900, if I loved chinese bikes and didn't have it already....maybe.
I genuinely think it is worth 500, or maybe nothing.

My friend isn't going to spend 1k on it.

The dude doesn't want less than $900. I mean I get it.

Why the gently caress did someone do this to the bike :(
It makes me sad.

I paid retail because I am dumb, but also I will take care of it and I know my bike didn't come hosed.

I can visually see it already needs around 500 in parts. At minimum a wheel, rear caliper...the swingarm thing would annoy me if I don't replace it. Plus its probably hosed anyway. The front wheel I would take to a shop to true up. It might need a new rear master...probably not.

Did they change the oil? Probably not.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

And nothing of value was lost

A moment of silence, comrade :china: