Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Some of that fades, a lot of it becomes automatic, and it's a healthy fear to have. One of these days I am going to post a youtube of me riding in Chicago traffic and playing the what-if game. Finding the gaps in traffic, noting drivers with cell phones and big gulps, thinking constantly on if I'll brake or swerve should dude in front slam on the brakes, and do I have a gap to swerve into, etc.

I might be masochistic but it's actually a big part of why I actually enjoy riding. It's required that I have my head on the road and nowhere else, observing everything, planning every second as traffic changes. With practice it all becomes second nature and you learn to do it very quickly, so much so that said video wouldn't be able to narrated. It would just be a sea of comment bubbles noting potential problems and the pre-planned response.

Rules of thumb:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0504_motorcycle_riding_tips/

It's stressful as gently caress at first, but as time goes on like anything else you learn to relax and just do it. Read up on it, get some mental cataloging and reaction methods down, practice them, and it becomes far less of a constant 'oh gently caress what if?'. In a perfect world this is how everybody should be driving at all times, regardless of traffic and their vehicle. Obviously that's never going to happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I don't think so. Over time those naturally develop anyway. Though I said the same thing before pre-worn jeans became a billion dollar idea.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I always figured lane splitting and emissions were both direct results of LA traffic. When you have 2 hour commutes, a blanket of smog, and you can't afford better infrastructure you start passing whatever might help.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's March. It should be averaging 40 with clear roads. I shouldn't have needed to park it until mid-late December but ended up barely making it to December 1. I quit smoking and I'm needing an outlet. I should have had a couple of days of salt free, and snow free roads by now.

gently caress this winter so much. Gooooo awayyyyyyyyyyy.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

I could go riding today but it's like only 55 degrees and I'd have to put on my heated vest or be a bit cold and that just sounds like a lot of work.

Also my aerostitch is still a bit wet from riding home from gokarting int he rain last night so uh yeah.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

It's 70 and sunny. I'm not going riding because there was a draft in the shade in my backyard and decided instead to stay inside and make barbecue baked chicken breasts.

I'll probably leave at some point if I continue to witness sun and no wisps of clouds but with this SoCal weather you just never know, you know??

Yeah well.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm surprised she reacted so well, hell, that you were even able to catch up with her.

Yeah the last time I had somebody merge into my lane it was in rush hour. I had more room in front than in back so I braaaaaapped my way to a hole in traffic. When I looked in the mirror the guy was yelling and flicking me off. Guess he figured I split by him rather than just barely avoided being run over by him.

I don't ride next to cars or in blind spots when I can help it. I do tend to always have an out... Sometimes apparently it's offensive to 20 year old Toyota Corollas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The whole reason I had to get my insurance involved was for the piddly medical benefit. Auto accident = auto insurance is the primary insurer. The only way other insurance comes into play is if they don't cover it or your benefit is maxed.

If they have coverage and are refusing it based on you having other insurance then they are full of poo poo.

If you feel like they are dicking you around, your policy has the coverage or even misleadingly appears to have coverage, and they don't shape up, then look up your state's division of insurance. It will be worth your time to send an email or give a phone call on the matter.