Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

So I took Bob to 5,000rpm and 60mph in 2nd all the way down that street.

Sounds like rather than die a hero you've lived long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

I met a dude with a plated R once, years ago when I was still on my klr

He seemed to like it

A plated R was listed in my hood last week. Looks well kept but… 7500 big ones (CAD, so maybe ‘small ones’?) for a 15 year old dirt bike :stare:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/city-of-toronto/2006-honda-xr650r-street-plated/1610952991

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Finger Prince posted:

Why are all the cool bikes in Edmonton anyway?

Sudbury of all places usually has the bike I’m looking for :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Yerok posted:

I loving hate facebook marketplace. I hate the stupid "is this available" button. I hate having to read a million dumbass thumb typed messages instead of just having a conversation with a potential buyer that deliberately searched for the bike I am selling.

I miss craigslist.

Yeah. I don’t bother with FB Marketplace for the same reason. Kijiji is decent, but maybe it’s still just a Canadian thing.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

T Zero posted:

I'm annoyed I'm paying for a whole-rear end car spot.

Rent portions of your spot to other motorcyclists who are mad about paying for a whole-rear end car spot themselves, everybody wins!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
New-to-me bike had a missing choke knob, got tired enough of using pliers to open/close the choke, ordered a replacement from FortNine which claimed "Guaranteed Fit!" with a nice green checkmark.

After removing the knob-less OEM choke cable, turns out the replacement is at least 1" too long.

I opted not to reinstall the broken one, so now my choke hangs limp and crooked off the side of my bike :geoduck:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

It was guaranteed to fit, and it fit.

It actually does function 100% correctly! :buddy:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

What? Just put it where you need some.

:hmmyes:

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 4, 2022

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Finger Prince posted:

So I have had to fly back to Vancouver to get my spare key, and fly back again to Calgary.

Did you try to hotwire your bike, before taking 2 extra flights?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

There's a quote from Top Gear, at the time about Hyundai, but I think it applies. "If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is: 'I have no interest in cars.' If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving. And if you have no interest in something, it means you are no good at it, which means you should have your driver’s license taken away."

Ehhh… some people have interest in cars, but buy a rubbish car because that’s what their budget allows. The quote is close to saying “poor people are bad drivers and shouldn’t have a license” which is obviously wrong and bad.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've only ever bought used, problem solved!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Things that are asymmetrical and/or misaligned bother me a lot. Basically every bike I’ve owned, I can detect/feel the handlebars being even slightly out of alignment, and it drives me crazy, but I often can’t actually see it visually. Sometimes it’s only detectable when in motion, in a straight line, when the wheels are perfectly parallel, so I can’t just easily measure something in the garage. I’ve spent untold hours over the years undoing and redoing triple tree pinch bolts and front axle bolts. I usually eventually get things perfectly aligned, but if I were less dumb I’m sure I could easily ignore it most of the time. I’m also starting to suspect that perhaps one of my arms is just longer than the other, and that’s what’s actually wrong :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Rain’s coming down in sheets near Toronto. But don’t worry, it’ll freeze soon.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The loving left fork seal went in the goldwing :argh: and it’s supposed to be in the 70’s next week.

I’m gonna do the seal buddy dance but I don’t have much faith

I guess I’ll be out on the RV90, but either way, I’m riding.

Wait wasn’t it you who also had a fork seal blow in front of a prospective buyer?

I guess there’s no good time for a fork seal to go but.. drat.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ok so how do you cancel them on a Harley?

Geekboy posted:

Press it again or .. turn.

This comes up every once in a while. Turning will auto-cancel the signal, if your bank angle was far enough. Some turns aren't quite far enough, but you usually don't have a loving protractor handy, so maybe they cancelled, maybe they didn’t. Changing lanes will not cancel the signal. If you're not sure if it auto-cancelled, you're basically stuck having to glance down at the dash to see if the signal is still flashing. But maybe the instant you glanced was the off flash? Better look again, but for longer this time, boy I really love taking my eyes off the road. Also, the turn signal buttons are soft mushy buttons with vague feedback and no tactile 'click', so you pressed the button to cancel, but did it really work? Better look again to make sure. Etc.

In reality after a while you just get used to this loving nightmare of user interface design, and it's not a big deal, but goddamn.

Edit: Worth noting that they've unfucked the turn signals on their most recent bikes, the Pan America, Sportster S, and Nightster all have regular turn signals on the left cluster.

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Some punk in a van knocked over my bike in a parking lot last night and sped off. Animals, I tell ya. I wasn’t around but some nice passerby snapped a photo of their plates so I guess it’s police report time? Never done this before.

Broken mirror and rear turn signal, scratched clutch perch. Tank and motor unscathed, which is all I really care about.