Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Synonamess Botch posted:

e: yeah I thought about this some more and I do disagree with you. Dumb is riding a bike wearing sunglasses, sandals and a baseball cap. Dumb is the fact that between me and these very not hypothetical people I see every day, I'm the one breaking the law. Riding with the visor up isn't dumb, it's a bit daft at worst.

Riding with eye protection is a good idea and the law pretty much everywhere but don't let me stop you from being mad. Those squids you see are legal, you were not. I've gotten things in my eyes even with glasses.

----

Yesterday I saw a driver chatting on his phone with one hand and picking his nose with the other. I did a mime of both at a stoplight next to him and his face was pretty priceless. Usually I just want to reach thru their window and toss their phone in a bush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just pass them at the first safe opportunity and go about your day. It's just paint on a road, if you can make a safe pass, do it. I don't get to run my favorite roads every day so when I do get out you can be sure I'm not sitting behind a car 1 second longer than I need to. It's more challenging to find somewhere past on the 250 but still doable with some planning.

Crossing the DY isn't some death sentence. Won't be the first law I break that ride and won't be the last.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Could be other fans just trying to hear you rev it out.

I'd rev at a 350z when I was in a conversion van cause I wanted to hear it sprint off.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 10, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

Didn't Kozmo almost lose his license for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DDTd_ZZIk

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Stop hanging out in their blind spots. Blind spots are one of those places that should be like hot lava to motorcyclists.

I'm pretty sure he's been here long enough to read a few paragraphs of your's on the matter. Maybe assume he's not hanging around in blind spots and the drivers might just be dumb instead of handing out the sage wisdom? I don't waste any time in blind spots and I still have occasional lane changes into me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Know what I hate about the people who creep forward at stoplights? They never go immediately when the light goes green.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

EvilSlug posted:

Attention ignorant redneck fucks, a flashing red stoplight or a loss of power at an intersection means "FOUR-WAY STOP", not "blaze through at 50mph without even pretending to slow down because this light is apparently malfunctioning or some poo poo".

A lot of intersections in the city switch to flashing reds in all directions, or flashing reds for side traffic and flashing yellows for main traffic after midnight. I treat all of them as 'stop and watch for a while' when I ride home at night, cause of what you said. People fly thru them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

But most of the time, someone starts to red mist, people get in pissing contests, and it goes downhill fast. Rides like yours are the exception, not the rule, and after awhile I just got really tired of going to get the truck to pick up someone's crashed bike because the egos and bikes started to collide.

Yeah, this can happen really quickly, maybe worse with newbs. Earlier this summer I took a friend on his first 'backroad' ride. I lead us with the thought that I could park it in tricky corners and point out problems in the road, then once he knew the road somewhat, we would switch positions and I'd let him set his pace.

That fantastic plan lasted all of 5 corners once we turned onto the fun road. I led him on a 55mph limit road, thru a turn/kink that I probably do 70 on average, and that day I was going about 40-45. He didn't make the turn, a typical case of 'I'm not going to make it...I'm looking at the spot off the road that I think I'll go of...Surprise! I ran off at that spot'.

Despite all of my telling him to 'ride his own ride' and that I'll wait for him, he still felt the need to try to keep up. He later told me he was riding at "90%" trying to keep up with me. He's a brand new rider and we weren't riding at more than a cruiser pace but he still felt the need to ride out of his comfort zone to try to prove something.

I take blame too, I think I've forgotten just what it's like to be a completely new rider and I could have gone easier or done things different. I know that he's a super competitive person and I should have thought of that. It just sucks that it happened. Part of trying to get some friends into riding was that I'd hopefully have a few buddies that ride like I do, and we could go have some fun together. Unfortunately he hasn't ridden with me since the crash and I'm starting to think that it isn't a coincidence or scheduling conflict....

Like many here, I haven't really found a group that I enjoy riding with. I've a different riding style to most of them. Similar to KozomoNaut.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't do group rides because I hate traffic and I hate being stuck behind someone else when I'm out riding for fun. Even if they're averaging the same speed that I would like to go, they don't slow down for corners and accelerate out of them at the same pace as me, whether it's faster or slower.

Riding alone lets me set my own pace and ride how I want to ride, sometimes I want to attack corners, sometimes I just want to cruise. Finding someone else with matching pace is practically impossible, never mind finding a whole group of riders with matching pace.

Riding alone, the only rider I have to keep up with or wait for is myself.

Basically, I'd like a 'group ride' of me and 3-4 friends who's competence and levelheadedness I can trust. I only knew a couple of those and they quit riding. Any group rides I do now usually have me spending half of the ride looking in the mirror and hoping the yahoo behind me doesn't run up my exhaust.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"Having a destination" seems to be an either/or thing for riders too, I've noticed. There's a significant split between people who need somewhere to go and people who just go ride. I think that's probably part of why I don't like riding with others that much.

When I ride, most of the time I just go ride. Maybe 10% of the time I'll have a general destination, like "maybe I'll do 22 a few times today", but the path to get there is completely up in the air. Whenever I ride with someone else almost inevitably the question "So where are we headed?" comes up and it annoys me every time.

"I don't know." The only thing I worry about when I leave is what time I need to be back, and I usually miss that by 30 minutes anyway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Has it gone full circle? Is the #irccrew the CA hivemind now?

Actually I know it isn't cause the grom isn't despised.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You hit post before you finished the story.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What the hell are you all talking about? I assumed there was more to the story than 'he inched up'... What does z3n have to do with anything?

Y'all have a few drinks with your turkey?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

nsap is some bizarro reverse-zen. He posts more than zen, but it's all just complaints about how much zen posts.

Lol just saw this post.

You three are funny.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CA actually gets forum stats now? We never used to.

Maybe it just seems like you post a lot since your posting is so terrible it stays in our minds

:dukedog:

Yeah sure that must be it.

Meanwhile it's nice to know that y'alls jimmies are rustled enough that I can get a response from you as if I was trolling. I was just curious if Sagebrush smoked him off the line and left him in the dust or if Nissan dude took off. Sheds some light on who spent money on my avatar :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
...right....I was right before with the alcohol and turkey assumption cause you make no sense. You're also not helping your claim that I'm the poo poo poster.

But that possibility of 3 people who bought my avatar just got narrowed down to one. Thanks, sweetie :forkbomb:

ed:talking to Jimmy of course

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 29, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have to ask, how did you pronounce his name in your head (since no one should ever be saying forums names out loud), just "z three n"?

Same, I jimmy rustle because I love

So, HOW BOUT THEM BIKES?!?

You sober up?

Sagebrush posted:

No, that was the end of the story. I was just commenting on the guy who was so upset at the idea of a motorcycle splitting beside him that he first blocked me off, then crept illegally into the intersection and made a dolt of himself in order to ensure that I didn't beat him again. I figured that was clear and that you were just making a sarcastic comment but it may not be a very clear or interesting story.

I didn't buy your avatar, nsaP. I have never bought anyone an avatar or BRCT.

Usually stories like that end dramatically once the light goes green, I was expecting something like that is all.

I don't post much ranting in this thread because I have the rest of the forum for that. That and I've spent enough miles on the road to achieve 'zen rider' (not z3n!) status. I've seen it before, so it doesn't bother me.

But, my favorite thing used to be cursing at dumb cars with slang from the sopranos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBeY46HDj6A

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Realizing that it's mostly stupidity and not malice helps me keep a cool head when people do dumb poo poo.

Also being able to make them a dot in my mirror in just a few seconds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I can't believe the police make courtesy phone calls...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe she thinks you're cute and she's flirting.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Note to self, check the wiring loom that you neglected to grease up this year....

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We get that too in the form of double fine construction zones that are in place for years with no construction occuring.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Z3n is the best troll, seamlessly transitioning from pulling crossed up wheelies on corner exits thru neighborhoods to lecturing about the risk of death by riding slightly faster than traffic on the highway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno, kinda sounds like you were riding like an rear end in a top hat and without papers and it caught up to you...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Didn't his PO make a mistake of some sort with the chain? All I mean is partly unlucky but also human error.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Coredump posted:

No the previous owner did an immaculate job and Coydog just peed on the chain every morning before riding.

Yeah I hosed up riveting the master link and had too many links on the chain.

I feel ya, I got a clip link chain so I wouldn't have to worry about a rivet link and then I bent the clip and had to buy another link :downs:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
SA started a campaign to remove some nice subreddits like /r/niggerjailbait, /r/picsofdeadkids, /r/beatingwomen etc. etc.... Some redditors took it as an attack on their freedom of speech.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Predditor spotted

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Engineer/IT riders really piss me off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry, I shouldn't have interrupted work chat with my rant. :haw:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh for sure. Do it enough and you don't even need shaving creme. I only use a bit of conditioner if I let it go for a couple weeks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

apatite posted:

Cool you got it switched to Wordpress. I don't have PMs but let me know if you run into questions/issues

Hey dude we chill out on irc.synirc.net in #bieks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

I love how everyone who says anything sensible is drowned out by a chorus of inarticulate NUH-UH!!

Story of my life on r/motorcycles and why I've stopped trying to give the poor noobs advice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
TBH I get a new helmet every 3 years or so anyway so it's that time! Motorcyclegear.com has had some decent deals with the new models coming out but I haven't checked recently.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/

Some cheaper Shoeis and Scorpions. Also the HJC Cl-16 is at bargain prices but I consider it a starter helmet, I don't think I'd get another, even at 70 bucks, tho that's a steal. They're good enough but heavy, the venting isn't great and I had trouble with the visor mounts on one of mine. Tho this one http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_razz_helmet.html looks pretty good....

Oh man I'd totally get this one if it wasn't still priced as a rider's helmet...Cmon Shoei he's been retired like 4 years and wasn't that stunning when he was active tbh. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/x_twelve_vermeulen_5_helmet.html

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 6, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I love my bicycle but I ride it in 'safe' situations, to me. I have friends that brave the city traffic on a bike and I think they're nuts, because I think it's risky enough when I have some horsepower on my right hand. Pedal power? nuts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just do the look, but most of the time I see a face profile staring at a screen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What was that quote I've heard...."If hard work was a valid measure of success every woman in Africa would be a millionaire"?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
PCH ain't that good, not like people like me from KY travel there to ride it or anything.

Oh 101, not 1. Yeah I'd still do it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

I find the opposite is true - all the heated gloves/gear in the world doesn't save you if your core is freezing, whereas with a heated vest everything stays nice and toasty, especially if I have handguards.

Of course, cold here is maybe, MAYBE high 30s.

You lost all credibility with the last sentence. I wear perf leather in lower temps.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those roads really limit passing if you want to do it with a safety window. I can't wait to ride the going to the sun road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

Yep, they can get you for driving in a manner unsuited to the road conditions. Their discretion.

Most places have something like that or set the limit at 'reasonable and prudent' but it seems more to stop the dummies doing the speed limit in white out snow conditions or a torrential downpour.