Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I've not ridden my bike in several weeks now, thanks to a combination of working away, wedding plan and generally having poo poo to do. It's genuinely getting me down and while my riding friends 'get it', even my wonderfully understanding wife to be doesn't understand why I keep recommending we ride to random appointments and how much I want to get out for a proper full day ride :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Doing an impromptu slalom maybe isn't the best idea, but you should be moving to the outside of your lane to both increase your visibility (which will also of course increase your rate of lateral speed compared to the car) and give you more escape room if needed until you're certain of the car driver's intentions and that they've seen you.

Anyway I came here to talk to you about loving scooter riders. There seems to have been a sudden influx of them in London this summer, and they're all loving terrible. Half of them ride right in the gutter and wobble around at 25mph, and the rest think filtering is a competitive sport and will go out of their way to block other people off. gently caress them and their stupid little not-bikes, they're getting worse than cyclists.

I wish the uk would just drop CBTs altogether. I don't mind scooters in principle but untrained 16 and 17 year olds (and sometimes older, of course) are a menace.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Deeters posted:

There's also the people who ask me "But what do your parents think about you riding?" like it matters. They're very surprised when I tell them my dad's a mechanic and my parents encouraged me.

Haha, it throws people doesn't it. I get to do this:

Them: So you got a bike?
Me: Yeah, I purchased my brothers off him.
Them: Man, they're so dangerous. What do your parents think?
Me: Well, my dad purchased my brothers previous bike so that he could buy the one I ended up buying....

Yep, my dad is near retired police officer who commutes year round all weather on a GSXR...!

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I'm massively pro cycle and it's incredibly rare I get annoyed (though I don't live in London), but god drat the red light thing does my fruit in. I just can't fathom the mentality that thinks it's okay.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Safety Dance posted:

Dang, buddy. If it makes you feel any better, I'm also 26 and am also in a position where having to replace a car would just about nuke any savings I have.

I'm 27 and apparently make good money. Despite being sensible I'm still rolling a completely broken car and will be for several more months, at least. My wife has the posh car, and even that cost less than the downpayment on anything brand new and is 8 years old.

I really don't get how people are driving around in huge expensive cars - either a lot of people are very rich, in lots of debt or I'm doing something badly wrong.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Outside Dawg posted:

Couldn't if we wanted to or dared to....you overlooked posting a link.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/bmw-motorcycle-standard-abs-safety-360/

Can anyone translate this for me:

quote:

Yeah, I know it’s the future (and I also realise that the average European motorcyclist is probably not far off being a grandfather), but why not just put four wheels and a roof on bikes and call it a day?

I went riding with my dad the other day (Nearly retired). I overtook a car (In an outside lane, not on the opposite side of the road), got a bit carried away with the speed, pulled back in and then got to watch him fly past me on his GSXR.

hermand fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2014

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh insurance companies you so funny.

Last year's premium - £279
Cheapest equivalent quote on Compare the Market - £254
Renewal quote (with "special return customer discount") - £391

Got them to knock £100 off and throw in free breakdown cover and protected NCB for a year to make up the difference with just a little bit of whining (mainly because that best quote was from Bennetts who have hosed me over twice in the past) but for fucks sake. I wonder how many people just blindly renew without even looking at the number or remembering what they paid last year.

I paid £400 last year with Churchill and had a renewal quote of £490 from them. Then I looked around and got it for £200 with Hastings Direct.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Can I do a reverse rant here - my brother just picked up a ZX9 which means the band is back together for summer! We've done a few rides with my best man since my bro moved back to our home town, but I've had to borrow my dads GSXR and lend him my (his old) Bandit or one of us has just had to sit it out.

So now I'm really looking forward to getting out - can hopefully get my dad onboard now, too.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

High Protein posted:

I've seen one on the motorway once, I've also seen some incredibly loud ones brapping around town.

Not sure what to think of them, on the one hand, get a real bike, on the other hand, quads are probably way more dangerous than any motorcycle.

I've been to a quad 'race' track a few times - incredible fun, but gently caress me the potential for injury is huge. They're so so unstable - I sincerely feel safer on my bike. In street terms I see them as bikers for people without the bollocks or skill to get a bike, though. Every single disadvantage of both cars and bikes combined into one chavvy dangerous, loud and unnecessary package.

Off-road and farming quads are awesome though.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

tjones posted:

What ever happened to confronting someone? Having a conversation and offering some type of compromise? Hell, an old fashion scuffle would be more acceptable than how you retaliated.

Obviously you yourself subscribe to the same passive aggressive douche-baggery that your neighbor does. Except for the fact that you took it above and beyond anything remotely defensible. Having the air let out of your tires is pretty irrational on his part, but potentially ruining someone's engine and destroying their tires in kind is completely insane. No, that is never the proper response in any situation. Are you four years old?

gently caress him, who cares? He kicked it off and underestimated the response. Serves him right, IMHO.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Niven posted:

DRZ spends 10+ hours on the tender and the battery dies after one press of the starter button. gently caress, well I guess she's out of commission for the rest of the season if the battery is that shot.

Push it back in the garage, VFR fires up like a champ. Stop for gas, press starter, dead battery.

Shitcock

Haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with my Bandit since I charged the battery off the bike last May. Until last weekend when I took it out and it wouldn't even give me a gauge sweep! Jump started it and rode for 20 mins and it has been fine since.

The only thing I can think is that I have a USB charger hardwired in, but that's been on for months and I only road the bike the week before, it wasn't sat for weeks like it often is.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Being on the phone is bad enough, but texting/whatever makes me absolutely rage. It's just so utterly selfish and self centred and I have to confess that I near enough always call people out on it. I'll probably get stabbed one day, but gently caress it, people need telling - especially when near 100% of the time you can tell just by following them for 3 minutes.

Overtook two people who were all over the place recently and found they were on the phone.

The one simply threw the phone to his passenger and threatened to kick my head in.

The second had a kid in the car and I finished my rant with "what are you going to do when you hurt your child with your idiocy" to which she responded with "it's not your child so mind your own business".

These things should carry super severe penalties on par with drink driving.

Just for balance though, my worst recent experience is also my best. Despite doing a lot of driving its incredibly rare I actually have any kind of near miss, but I was well and truly forced into the shoulder last week when a guy on the phone realised he was missing his junction. Because of the proximity to the junction I had to follow him off, so I stopped next to him and tore a strip off him. Bloke absolutely couldn't apologise enough...!

hermand fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2015

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Saw a teenager on a moped today - no gear apart from his helmet. He was riding along.....texting.

There is truly no hope.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Trauma Tank posted:

I have to say, the few times I've been lanesplitting here in the UK most people make space when they see you coming. I did have someone yesterday in a giant Land Rover move over just far enough to block me and stay there as long as they could, but they didn't actively try to kill me.

This is mostly experience, but with just enough of the latter to be very irritating. To be honest, though, when I started I developed a bit of a persecution complex but I'm starting to realise that most people are just not paying any attention in the slightest. Also, I'm genuinely astonished at just how many people are happily texting/talking or just generally paying more attention to their phone than anything else. That really needs to start being enforced with serious penalities.

In other news, I accidentally put diesel in my bike last night :(

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

nsaP posted:

LOL. The nozzle is larger and a different color. Where was your phone during all of this?

Heh, phone was my jacket. The nozzle was larger and, no it didn't fit properly, but I put that down to a bike thing. However, I was after BP Ultimate Unleaded - which is branded in a similar way to the Ultimate Diesel.

Each station had three pumps:

Unleaded
Diesel
Ultimate Unleaded OR Ultimate Diesel

So I just didn't quite pay enough attention. The pump opposite me had Ultimate Unleaded - I didn't even realise there was a BP Ultimate Diesel.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Lynza posted:

Let's face it - Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, etc. I don't want cyclists to die, but holy poo poo they make some really stupid life choices when they ride in town.

I'm really pro cyclist and I do get irritated when I see drivers moaning about their existence, but there's a real crop of them that make it hard work. I'll confess that when I'm in the city as a pedestrian I get really hosed off with the red light jumpers and I've given a few a good shove - pricks.

That and the ones with no lights at night, but around here they're more likely to be drivers who got banned rather than anything resembling a cyclist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
As if summoned by the Gods of CA, I went for a ride today and filtered to the front of some traffic lights. On coming cyclist sailed right through the red (Bear in mind I'd have time to filter here!) - I gave her a head-shake and got a sarcastic smile in return.

It's becoming a real pet hate of mine - those on two wheels have enough issues with cars at the best of times. I'm sure she'd not accept a car cutting her up when she was on green.