Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mulligan posted:

Speaking of, I’m moving to Canada in a few weeks, I have googled s couple of things but how is is riding over there? I’m going to live in Mississauga or whatever is called, any ideas ?

Plan on an hour or two to get to anything other than mostly flat, straight farmland roads or sprawl. If you head west, there is a little fun along the Niagara escarpment in Burlington, and Hamilton. South and east of Hamilton, on the south side of Lake Ontario is beautiful, and has some interesting roads due to the escarpment. Otherwise you’re looking at the shoreline roads of Lake Erie and Lake Huron for interesting rides. North and east of newmarket gets interesting as you get into Muskoka. Around Haliburton the riding is good; and the roads are usually well maintained. East of the GTA (around the east side of Oshawa) the roads get more interesting. Lots of curvy side roads, but not as nicely maintained as Muskoka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

There are some nice winding roads around Ancaster but they're like 30km/h and they last for maybe two minutes.

And I can't find anywhere to ride offroad or trails here without joining OFTR or loving off to crown land twenty hours away. It loving sucks. I need to be less reserved about just asking the hundreds of rich people with dirtbikes and muddy dualsports in their driveways where the gently caress they go with them.

If you hear of anything public, let me know; KW has one private area near it, OFTR required. I will probably get it next year, as I want to ride the trail system near Belleville.

I’m curious, is there a compelling reason to not getting OFTR membership? If there’s something wrong with the organization, I’d prefer not to give them money.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ontario's insurance rates are also based on your postal code IIRC (or maybe this is typical everywhere, I don't know). Supposedly people in like, Vaughn or Brampton pay out the nose even by our standards. I live in Richie Rich old people part of Ancaster (lol I'm not rich) and I think my rates are probably better, but I also only have my M2 and, what, two years of riding experience? So it'll be high for now anyway.

Nothing I know against getting OFTR membership, just one more thing to pay for. The KW one is also my target, but I'm hoping they have some kind of "offroading for beginners" program because I'm really wary of just getting an OFTR membership and showing up and not having the slightest idea of how to actually ride trails vs street.

If you don’t mind a journey, trailtours.ca south of Peterborough is great. I went a couple of times pre covid and about 300 bucks got me a new ish (0-1 model yr old) Honda rental for the day, insurance, lunch, gear, instruction with low ratios (2 instructors to 3 riders), a trail pass, and the instructors acting as guides in the Ganaraska forest for the day after they teach/ check out your skills. They do dual sport and trail riding and the Ganaraska is a forest and sand mix.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

epswing posted:

Rain’s coming down in sheets near Toronto. But don’t worry, it’ll freeze soon.

Yep, over in KW we got the freezing rain out of the way at the start. How does everyone deal with road salt? Scrub the crap out of the bike after a ride on salty roads?

I usually wait for a couple of hard rains after the last time I saw the plow trucks to wash away the salt, but with the weather patterns this year, that will likely be April. I’d like to be able to sneak in a ride on the good days on my DRZ. I’ll leave my bigger bike in the garage until the roads are clear.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Those days suck. Solid call, you’ll be able to get back at it tomorrow refreshed.