Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Suspension on a drag bike is absolutely a huge advantage because it lets rearward weight transfer happen, which increases grip drastically. Modern bespoke drag bikes are rigid and use the huge car tyre on the back as the suspension, but nobody dragging a busa or whatever would replace their shock with a solid rod, that would be insane if you think about it.

On top of this, what about the other end of the drag strip? You're doing over 300km/h, you want some kind of suspension to damp out weave oscillation unless your wheelbase is like 4 meters.

I'm talking about like 40s and 50s bikes here, where the chopper look comes from. Also I'm willing to bet that there's several Hayabusas on the roads of Florida *right now* with longer-than-4-metre wheelbases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that a Honda DN?

moar liek Honda DNR

(It's a Vultus, which I think is on the same platform)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

It's based on a scooter platform

:thejoke:

Double-checked and it turns out it's not, the Vultus is just an NC (p-twin and DCT) under all that plastic, the DN-01 was a v-twin with a CVT, but this is even more annoying because Honda made a new, mid-capacity v-twin and wasted it on that alien suppository thing and not the updated RC31 that would be the best bike out of Japan of the 21st century.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That second one *should* be a body kit available for the Minimally Viable Motorcycle that every manufacturer used to turn out (often as the best-selling bike in their lineup), except I don't think anyone does them any more. I understand why all of the manufacturers have moved (or tried to move) their ranges up-market and up-price-range, but I feel like the world is poorer for not having a Bandit-type parts-bin bike that can be used as a blank slate for bolting on gaudy bits of plastic and dubious performance mods (shut up Harley).

Come to think of it, mods generally seem to be nowhere near as common as once they were - like every single bike in the 90s at the very least would have some weird-coloured Pro-Bolt fasteners or a double-bubble screen or some other thing bought out the back of Fast Bikes slapped on it. I assume it's just part of the general death of tinkering caused by bike quality being so much better, because it's not like you can get an extra 5% horsepower out of a Euro5 bike for the price of a cheap can, jet kit, and dyno time (in decreasing order of likelihood to have actually been done no matter how much you boast about it down High Beech) hjjjjjjuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

and I'm going to stop that post there because my cat decided to stage an intervention:

Even he realises I talk way too much about 90s bikes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I looked it up because I wasn't aware that Royal Enfield ever made a diesel bike. The only diesel-powered motorcycle I was aware of that hit anything resembling mass production was that KLR they built for the USMC.

The RE Taurus diesel does exist, apparently. It looks like it has a repurposed agricultural motor and it makes a reported 6.5 horsepower out of 325cc. Nice

Weird, I was sure there were diesel-powered variants of the Armstrong that the British Army uses but I can't seem to find any evidence of it - might just be misremembering the USMC one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
As someone with a lifetime experience of being an idiot and losing things from tiny irreplaceable screws to an entire 5U full-depth server[1] this way, I've found the best thing to do is pin/tape everything to a bit of scrap paper or card, with what it is clearly labeled and the component traced around. Also mark on the card if you end up having to use a second card and where you put that.

This is particularly handy if you do it in the order you take stuff out so you know what way it all goes back together.

[1] I did actually find it and it wasn't "lost" through my own stupidity, a colleague helpfully wheeled it off to a secure area because I'd left it out while I went to get the big lift needed to help me put it in the rack, but as far as he knew some idiot had just left a massive trip hazard just laying around. Twat didn't think to tell me when he first saw me standing there swearing and convinced I *had* somehow just forgotten where I'd put 50 kilos of metal, and only put two and two together when I reappeared with security for the data centre because I had to assume that it had been stolen from the shared data centre we were in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Now I'm picturing twisto in the victorian data mines, covered in soot, smashing huge server slabs into place with a giant mallet and lubing all the network cables with an oil dripper.

You're not too far off the mark, which is why I'm very much confined to the office nowadays and have to ask permission in writing before so much as plugging in a fibre. You black out the entire country's internet for an hour just the once and you're branded for life.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I was cleaning parts with kerosene a few days ago, got some under my nitrile glove on one hand and didn't realize since the gloves tend to get pretty swampy after ten or twenty minutes anyway. I guess it was sitting there for a while until I felt a burning itchy sensation. Red skin, and today it's peeling. Really hope I didn't do any serious damage. Watch yourself around chemicals, gang.

It's almost certainly contact dermatitis - the kerosene breaks down the cell walls in the skin, basically in the same way as heat does in a burn. It won't kill you (unless it gets infected), but it's gonna loving *suck* for a couple of days to a week. Keep it clean and dry, take an antihistamine and put some cortisone cream or calamine lotion on to stop the itching (lightly dab it on with a clean cloth, don't rub it in).

If it starts really hurting, weeping, or doesn't start to get a bit better after a couple of days might be worthwhile having a doctor look at it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Apologies for the horriffic pics, I was stoned and using the wrong lens with the wrong settings. Fifty internet points to the first person to diagnose this correctly. It's an air cooled 2t and all the information you need is in the pics.

I think the reason it's not running is the piston isn't inside the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've been noticing blind spot alert sensors on a lot of cars lately; it's just a red or amber pip that lights up in the wing mirror to say "check your blind spot".

Thoroughly useless in heavy traffic obviously but seems like a nice thing to have when things are a bit more spread out. No reason a bike couldn't have something similar.

Cars need that because of the massive blind spots caused by the B and C pillars bloating out due to new rollover protection regulations. Unfortunately they haven't yet thought to do anything about the motorcycle (or pedestrian/cyclist)-sized blind spots caused by the massive airbag-containing A pillars.