Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Nitramster posted:

Right there with you. I want to get a Sumo or Monster for commuting as well. As much as I really want a pure sportbike I really only use my motorcycle to lanesplit down PCH to school a couple rush hours a week, and a couple of blocks to work.

On that topic; growing up in California I think it's crazy this state is the only one to allow lane sharing, considering all the left-wingers ruining everything. I would never ride in traffic if I had to sit behind cars and wait to get Oreo cookie'd.

Do cops in America really ticket you if they see you lane filtering/splitting safely? It's a legal grey-area (read: probably illegal) in Australia, but you're only ever going to get booked if you're riding like a fuckwit. Cops aren't interested in prosecuting sensible use of a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

"Motorcycles stay upright because of something called guy-row-scopic progression"

"So you want to push on the handlebar in the direction you want to go and push down on the peg on the same side because it's the bike leaning over that makes it turn."

"So if you double your speed it increases your braking distance by four times because it's an ex-potential curve."

"How do you control speed on a bike?"
"Uh, throttle and-"
"WRONG! You control speed with the 'rear-wheel speed-controller' which you probably call the 'rear brake' :smug:"

"The unfortunate thing is that there are people out there who really hate motorcyclists so the onus is on you to take precautions because it's just stupid to put yourself in a position where others can hurt you."

- All from the same 60-year-old toothless professional riding coach licensed by the state to teach new riders the basics.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Backov posted:

This is straight up correct though.

quote:

"The unfortunate thing is that there are people out there who really hate motorcyclistswomen so the onus is on you (if you're a woman) to take precautions because it's just stupid to put yourself in a position where others can hurt you."

My problem isn't with the fact that it's an objectively good idea to take every precaution possible short of not riding a motorcycle at all in view of the fact that many drivers are malicious idiots, but with the idea that it's our fault if we get hosed up by someone else's stupidity. This fucker was straight-up victim-blaming motorcyclists for falling prey to arsehole drivers. It's the idea of assuming moral culpability for your own injury if you didn't take every conceivable precaution that gets me. It really is the same as "well you shouldn't have been walking alone at night if you didn't want to get mugged."

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

So if I get mugged it's my fault for being where I was when the mugger decided to mug?

I ain't saying it's a good idea to ride around without a care in the world not giving a gently caress about your own safety relative to the actions of others. You can't do that and expect to live. But the idea that it's your fault if someone suddenly plows into your lane and collects you is simply ludicrous. You can't be omniprescient, and just because it might have been theoretically possible for you to have reacted more quickly doesn't shift the moral blame for the crash onto you. That's laughable. The vulnerable aren't very smart if they don't acknowledge and adjust to their vulnerability, but they're not morally culpable for damage amplified by that vulnerability caused by the negligence or malevolence of others.

I just don't get this kind of thinking. Like, have you never heard of a tort or something?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 19, 2014

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I still think that telling people "act like they're out to kill you" is stupid. If all the car drivers on the road were actually out to kill me, I would not leave my house. Or I'd buy a humvee with a machine gun or something. Very few people are actually going to be aggressively bad and try to run you off the road or door you or whatever.

No, treat it like the drivers cannot see you at all, which is close to the truth. See the car poking his nose out of the driveway? He doesn't see you and he thinks the street is clear, so be ready for him to pull out and cut you off at any time. The person beside you on the highway? Yeah, she thinks the space beside her is empty and she could merge into it whenever, so get out of that space. Etc.

This attitude doesn't make you hostile towards or terrified of cars, but it does encourage you to never rely on anyone else's behavior for your safety.

"Ride like you're invisible and not invincible" is what an old guy told me when I got into riding.

I agree with all of this and still dislike victim-blaming in all its forms :shrug:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

nsaP posted:

You're acting like people are blaming the rider for an unavoidable accident.

Nobody here, absolutely not. But people do this all the loving time.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

nsaP posted:

Well congrats on reaching none of them with your message, in true SJW fashion.

The thread's called the echo chamber/padded room... Congrats on defending the smug ramblings of a senile victim-blaming halfwit :jerkbag:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Slavvy posted:

:rolleyes: the cops are currently on their SPEEDING KILLS PEOPLE WE ARE PROTECTING SOCIETY BY VENGEFULLY ISSUING TICKETS!!! horse. There are billboards everywhere.

Their official stance is that they are literally reducing road deaths (couple hundred a year in a nation of 4.5 million) by reducing their 'speed tolerance' from +~10km/h to zero tolerance. You will literally get a ticket for doing 102 in a 100km/h zone. This magically makes people not crash and deaths are less likely because *physics*.

So when traffic is absolutely at it's worst, during the holiday season, cops do an Iraq-style surge in traffic enforcement officers and fish for tickets by sitting in ambush hidden by trees or whatever. I have not ridden my bike since the 24th and don't intend to until a week into the new year. Cars and cops everywhere isn't a good time.

I rode through 2000km of rural New South Wales over the previous week. Flashing signs warning of double demerit points and the omniscience of police pertaining to speeding. Oh, and billboards every 50km telling people to buckle up. I've never met a single person in Australia who drives without a seatbelt. And what's the result? NSW drivers are dithering pussies who can't navigate traffic without making GBS threads their pants in terror of breaking a law.

Terrorising a citzenry with heavy-handed policing on the roads leads to a population of very nervous, hesitant drivers.

n8r posted:

R6s are cool and R1s are awesome, why were you shaking your heads? Do you and dude have a shared dislike for things that are awesome?

No because tiny bikes are the only way to go and you're clearly insane if you want to go fast.

But for real Lynza. I rode a Ninja 300 too and used to think it was plenty fast enough for anybody. But then I rode other bikes. You should do the same at some point. It ain't crazy to enjoy 0-100kph in under 3 seconds.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

Was out at the bars grabbing a drink and walking around people watching with my friend. Went to walk by our bikes to check on them and what do I see......

A drunk girl climbing on my bike while her friend and their boyfriends watch and take pictures.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

My friend and I come up yelling no at her before she even got half way over. She runs away and her boyfriend is telling me to watch my temper.. WHAT? Your drunk girlfriend is climbing on my motorcycle so you can take a loving picture and my temper is misplaced? gently caress OFF.

Never been so mad.

What kind of people think this is ok? I know for a fact they would've turned tail and ran if they dumped it.

A lot of people think this is perfectly fine. A couple of months ago I caught a 55-ish woman in the process of putting what I assume was her grandson up on my bike as I was walking back to it. She smiled - all sweetness and light - and asked emptily, "Oh, is it alright if he sits on it?" I said, "Sure. But give me your keys, I want to go sit in your car for a while."

Well! You don't have to be so rude!

If the stupid hag had seen me getting on the bike and asked permission like a normal human, I would have let the little man gently caress around to his heart's content.