Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

gently caress, that language.

So a cop kills one guy and ruins the life of the semi driver who killed the guy.

Seriously. Anything to avoid saying a cop did something. They’re only ever involved in things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

We were planning a whole family excursion to go this year, dammit.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Gorson posted:

The Nazi symbolism is bothersome and completely un-surprising, but what's really sticking in my craw is the low amount of effort applied to those red "pinstripes". I give a pass to the flame cutouts on the heatshields because it's hilarious.

Kinda surprised there aren’t 14 skulls tbh.

That skeleton over the headlight is almost so dumb that it wraps back around to being all right. That’s the nicest thing I can say about that bike.

Showed this to our partner who runs a bicycle shop and he said that probably made you (Slavvy) feel the same way Burning Man bikes make him feel.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I assume it has one

I think I got to about 90 passing someone once because they kept accelerating when they realized someone didn't want them in front anymore. 2 lane road weaving through a national forest with a 3rd passing lane every few miles in spots where it made sense. The classic "I'm going to drive 5 below the speed limit until I get to a passing zone" driver. I wasn't really watching how fast I was going so much as continuing to accelerate until I could pass safely and then noticing it going into the 80's as I decelerated after getting past them.

Then proceeded to ride between 5-8 mph above the speed limit and completely left them in the dust.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Neighborhood group guy says he has to speed on a 2 mile stretch of road because going 25 miles an hour for less than 5 minutes will make his bike overheat.

We should “get a real bike” because our air cooled motorcycles do just fine. But also sure a Street Glide is a real bike uh BUT THEY’RE BROKE DOWN ALL THE TIME.

also: he’s apparently a motorcycle mechanic and he instantly quit the group when pushed back on even the slightest little bit

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I bought my bike right at closing time and was waiting for parts to take it home, so I managed to miss out on the whole “ring the giant bell, welcome to HOG” experience.

I couldn’t have planned it better if I tried.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I thought I was fine with it being a little lovely because I figured I’d add some of the bits and baubles I’ve picked up for the bike, but it’s cold enough that I don’t actually feel like laying on the garage floor today.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

There’s a stop sign that people consistently blow through maybe 1/4 mile from my house. It helps me remember to stay vigilant all the way home.

It’s so fricking easy to space out when you’re in the home stretch.

I still catch myself getting to the first stop sign about 3 blocks from home before my brain kicks in, though. I definitely find it easier to remember that I am most likely to wreck close to home at the end of a ride than at the beginning of it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It is not a coincidence that the old men who spend their time on the Triumph Rat forum don’t believe in climate change and also need a thread about how to avoid Facebook scams.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Saw a current model Honda Rebel with probably straight pipes today. It wasn’t just obnoxiously loud, it also sounded like absolute poo poo. Such a wet fart of an engine sound.

I get enjoying the loud pipes, even though it means we probably can’t be friends. But at least make sure it sounds good while also being loud.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Had what could have been a road rage moment, but I let it go.

Pulled out of a motorcycle show parking area, where there are motorcycles and signs about motorcycles everywhere you look. The traffic was stop and go. Moved a little further left in the lane than I normally do because there's a streetcar down there and the lane is shared, so I didn't want my tires too close to the slippery metal rails.

This SUV apparently decided lane splitting was legal because they just drove past me on the right side of the lane like I wasn't there. Based on how they continued to drive, they were just very bad at what they were doing and not paying attention. I kind of wonder if I'd have been rear ended if I had been in the middle of the lane to stake my claim on it.

I started to just move past them to take my spot back and then thought better of it. I honked and made some "whaddya doin' here!?" hand gestures and left it at that.

People are bad at driving!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

There’s a malicious compliance I see in Portland drivers that I don’t remember elsewhere, and always from the most dogshit drivers. They’ll decide you’re being too aggressive because there’s less than 8 car lengths between you and slow down to just under the posted speed limit.

They’ll then proceed to drive with one tire in the bike lane and take every corner like they’re a semi with 2 trailers. They all drive very safe hatchbacks because otherwise they would definitely die in the accident they will definitely have.

It took me a while to learn what Oregon tailgating was because everywhere else I’ve driven, it would just be regular following distance.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That’s the kind of accident I’m probably most afraid of. Good job watching out for him since he wasn’t watching out at all.

At least this person I grumbled about drove beside me and not into me, right?

One time on my scooter I was at a stop light and some giant fuckoff pickup truck from the suburbs locked its brakes behind me. Visibility for ages. Traffic stopped in the other lane. 2 lanes each direction with cross traffic being freeway exits and entrances. I honestly just try not to think about what could have happened and am more of a stickler for good mirrors than I was before that day.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Oregon has a lane filtering bill that would be in pretty good shape if Republican congress folks weren’t walking out in waves just so that they can obstruct the business of the government.

Their current talking point is that all the bills are too hard to read, so they can’t go to work. I know their base is the “own the libs” folks, but we just passed a massively popular referendum that bars congress members from running again if they miss too many days because people hate this tactic they keep using.

I didn’t use to have any interest in lane filtering, but watching Squid Tips and sitting in stop and go traffic while people look at their phones converted me.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Kotek isn’t the coward Brown was, but I am not counting my chickens until they are well and truly hatched here.

We’ll just keep proposing it every year until it’s passed. A few people will clutch their pearls so hard they break their fingers for like, a month and then it will be fine.

Perhaps politics should not be the playground of our richest, oldest, dumbest people.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I want to like Harleys and they keep pushing me away.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I wish I could snap my fingers and shrink 6 inches so my Roadster was comfortable because the Sportster platform is so loving good but it’s not great at the kind of light to moderate touring I’m obviously inclined to do. At least not at 6’2” with a hatred for forward controls.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Press it again or .. turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

edit: Actually, this goes in a different thread. Moving it there.