Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Organometallic compounds are real nightmare chemicals. The head of a lab I used to work at ages ago wouldn't allow anyone that wasn't a grad student to handle them.

Has anyone made a fuel cell motorcycle? Presumably hydrogen would resolve some of the charging concerns (and bring its own drawbacks). Otherwise, maybe run e-bikes with really long extension cords, and when you reach the end, swap for another cord at a swapping station. Tarzan your way across the country on copper vines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's been done, yeah, but personally I wouldn't straddle anything with a compressed hydrogen tank.

There's some novel aluminium compound in development that can spontaneously produce hydrogen out of water; I like the idea of running fuel cell electrics in concert with that because it means you could keep all the current pumping station infrastructure but have one of the nozzles deliver distilled water instead of petrol.

You prompted me to look this one up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhlwuSs6uPM

This looks like an interesting concept, particularly the removable multi-use fuel pod.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
A thief thinks everyone steals.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
I've never owned a motor vehicle before my motorcycle. Prior to that, I was, and remain, a cyclist. I've lived in major US cities with little to no biking infrastructure, notoriously distracted drivers, and barely any law enforcement. I've had several collisions with cars, the worst requiring a trip to the ER and crutches for several weeks.

My main calculation in getting a motorcycle was simply that I wanted to cover more ground than I could on a bicycle. I know I would be safer if I took public transit. But it's not always an option, and I'm willing to exchange some safety for greater convenience and enjoyment. I don't think that "something terrible can't happen to me," but rather the opposite -- my concerns about the worst case scenario govern how I dress, where I ride, and whether I choose to ride at all.

I saw this article today that rammed home just how easily roads can turn dangerous and have life-changing consequences, even for people in cars: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/car-accident/618766/

I think roadways would benefit if every user had a healthy concern for their own mortality.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Moving to a new apartment building and now I have to pay $80/month to park my bike. So now 60% of my ongoing costs of ownership is in parking. Ugh.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
It's a garage spot, and the overall apartment rent is much lower than my current place, so I'm still saving money on balance. But I'm annoyed I'm paying for a whole-rear end car spot.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
In my case it was because the dealers were the only ones who could give me a temporary plate and registration while our DMV system was closed.

And they did end up fixing a problem with the bike I hadn't noticed on the lot for free. #notalldealers

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
On a Monster 696, you need to remove 13 screws, three fairings, and lift off the gas tank in order to get to the battery. Take a wild guess how I discovered this.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

T Zero posted:

On a Monster 696, you need to remove 13 screws, three fairings, and lift off the gas tank in order to get to the battery. Take a wild guess how I discovered this.

Just in case anyone wanted to see what the process actually looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQz9PsUPAc&t=24s

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

moxieman posted:

Are there bikes with under tail exhausts that don’t have the battery under the tank?

Well, the 696 has side-mounted exhausts, so it doesn't even have that excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Student loans kicking back in mean that I'm going to have to hold off on trading up to a new bike. Sigh.

Man, this economy...