Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
thats pretty much what it is what with pluggin in different modules anyway, no?

lookin great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Installed a new keyboard membrane into the A500 Plus this morning:

Yes there are a few small screws, but it is much easier to work on than a C64 or Atari ST keyboard

All happily working again. No more missing keys around the letter P. I also straightened out the metal backing plate on the keyboard, as it was bend slightly in the middle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's "jumps." otherwise there is no s

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Zamujasa posted:

thats pretty much what it is what with pluggin in different modules anyway, no?

lookin great

ty! yeah tree makes the most sense, except I want to allow ring structures at some point and that might get weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

data structures are things like arrays, linked lists, trees, stacks etc, just different ways of... structuring data. I'm storing the space station as a tree for now.

ah yeah

I enjoy the abominations you can’t avoid making when using js

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I know it’s baby town basic bullshit in the grand scheme, but saving/loading data was a major barrier for me & now it seems easy. I’m pretty pleased with myself

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Don't you dare give that up for curses again.

Also wanna hear what music you have in mind for it :3:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
added a small api generalization to decker recently, and it occurred to me that it was now pretty easy to write contraptions that do some work or play an animation and then delete themselves from the deck

one thing lead to another, and

the only problem is that nice big explosion gifs add up to a fair amount of deck size pretty quickly. might tinker with particle systems or some other procedural way to get the same kind of effect in a smaller, more configurable footprint

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I know it’s baby town basic bullshit in the grand scheme, but saving/loading data was a major barrier for me & now it seems easy. I’m pretty pleased with myself

I like it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you can call it baby town basic bullshit but there's a reason they spend so much time on data structures in compsci classes. they're important. much more important than algorithms i'd say

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
take care of the data structures and the algorithms will take care of themselves

or as torvalds put it

quote:

I’m a huge proponent of designing your code around the data, rather than the other way around, and I think it’s one of the reasons git has been fairly successful… I will, in fact, claim that the difference between a bad programmer and a good one is whether he considers his code or his data structures more important. Bad programmers worry about the code. Good programmers worry about data structures and their relationships.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if you choose the wrong representation for your data, it will add complexity throughout your program. special cases will protrude awkwardly, invariants will be complicated to maintain, accidents will occur

some representations make "invalid" states impossible; prefer these. store as little as possible, with the clearest representation possible

sometimes you will need to compromise these principles for performance reasons or due to other technical constraints. make sure these constraints are real, rather than imagined

you will sometimes get representations wrong, and modifying them may be extremely painful, but the alternative is worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is interesting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

echinopsis posted:

space ship economic s
what do you mean by data structures? maybe I should learn too

if you have a goal of learning a language they say make something in it to learn it and spose that works but what really rulz is already having a game or whatever in mind and then trying to make it work

if I was trying to learn js and chose to make an idle game I’d be uh yeah maybe learn it, but because I had a clear idea of crime committer in my mind, and the only way to get there was to learn js, it really drove it hard

I support your trifecta of space projects

data structures are computer. look these up for your game crap:

list

hash table

tree

a loving database

that's it don't use anything else. maybe a trie if you want to do bespoken spell check or some stupid garbage but don't do that you moron

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

use JSON for text bullshit key value groups. or a database. they are close enough to each other that it's not important for poo poo projects

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its js, they don't get to have a db

trie in js: lol pull the other one it's got bells on

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

in the real world just use some SQL poo poo. idiot. you want mongo? some other poo poo? go gently caress yourself use sqllite

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its js, they don't get to have a db

trie in js: lol pull the other one it's got bells on

idk and idc I'm here to poo poo post some arbitrary "best practices" and ignore other posts

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dont you spend years retired too? you know our "advice" is worthless to people who Need to Work

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i used a hash map the other day to store actual hashes lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i spend like, 1 or 2 years retired, then i go back. otherwise your worldview gets too weird, not that my worldview ain't pretty fuckin weird as is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i spend like, 1 or 2 years retired, then i go back. otherwise your worldview gets too weird, not that my worldview ain't pretty fuckin weird as is

I've been out of work for 26 months and I'm about ready to pick up the keyboard again

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

agreed though it feels weird. it just seems like we have similar "work" attitudes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my personal dogma: gently caress a job money is for me to live and the more i earn the more I can "live"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sometimes though a job is cool and satisfying. I really liked my last job but they went out of business :(

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jobs are not so bad if you have a great batna

its the eternal practice of management to make batnas more poo poo for workers, so that's a thing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my banta is a big bed with my wife

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just kidding we're not married

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

me and my wife have a great ligma

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

your wife has a great ligma with me too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pretty sure she can't handle bofa us

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's why she'll choose me every time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

but don't do that you moron

aye aye captain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I learned some words on this page

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The last hash map I made was at a music festival in 2006

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

drat so apparently Godot used to have inverse kinematics but they deprecated them and replaced them with... absolutely nothing?? wtf

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

watching a tutorial on how to do iks in roblox so I can maybe do them in godot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
learn the actual math, then it's trivial in whatever lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn