Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres a nice picture of the real part of the linear operator for fft * (linear op for x * a mod n) * fft done in matrix form. the basic schtick behind the quantum poo poo i'm working on is to apply this operator without actually instantiating it or having any qc hardware, by a giant pile of vicious weird little tricks. the singular linear op works, this is exponential instantiation but the operator application works (separately from the image, in polytime wrt cardinality of what the 'propositional bits'). if i can get the battery of x * a mod n dealios backing shor's to work and like 5 other things go right its doom time

center antiidentity portion is capped because it fucks up the colors otherwise. but its real purty

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

sounds like a project for future me

for past you rather, that lazy fucker screwing you over again

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

just goofing off with more animations/models, I'll work on game mechanics soon I promise

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
honestly the dahir insaat-ness of the space shuttle just rotating itself in space is pretty funny

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
well the tiny station isn’t going to shove itself toward the shuttle

it has only enough fuel for station keeping, not maneuvering, it needs to remain in as close to an ideal orbit as possible to avoid wasting fuel

the shuttle can carry enough thruster fuel for maneuvering to the station (and handling stationkeeping while it’s docked)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
will you have capsules and cargo modules so the player can make x*shuttle vs n*capsule + m*cargo trade offs

like maybe it takes longer to build a station with capsule + cargo but you can launch sooner and more often but that means fuel costs are higher and failure more likely, while construction costs are higher for the shuttle and you can’t launch as often but that also means you don’t use quite as much fuel and failure likelihood per launch is lower (but correspondingly more catastrophic)

dunno just a random thought, thanks saliva

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

something like that! I have some complicated logistics ideas that are hard to articulate while phoneposting. short version is you’re actually managing multiple space agencies, each one makes different stuff and has different strengths and weaknesses, and limited capacity. I’m still working a lot of it out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I spent way too long playing with texture shaders on the long weekend. they’re cool but tricky

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Makin some progress on the space game again, I've implemented the star clock and I'm working on the rudiments of station resource management

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the game called space clock

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slightly related but I really like the mechanical Soyuz clock.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Slightly related but I really like the mechanical Soyuz clock.

"Wow! That's cool, wonder how much one to park on my desk would cost. They made quite a lot of those capsules, right?"

Both cheaper than I'd expect but still well beyond the buy it for the hell of it zone even if one was available. Someone in 2018 also got one for $700, the lucky dog.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
weird rear end analog clocks/gauges are my thing and agreed, one of those would make a nice desk decoration, but not for four figures :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are there not questionably built knock-offs available on alibaba?

for a highly complex precision mechanical instrument, i'm sure this will be fine

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

super nailgun posted:

"Wow! That's cool, wonder how much one to park on my desk would cost. They made quite a lot of those capsules, right?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4K1QMTNw8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmrnHSe9bg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that clock is super neat - I'd seen that channel's teardown/repair of one of the newer clocks, but not that one :)

I'm making progress on the game mechanics side. actually need to add some supply vehicles to the game now, then I can work on the launch queue and stuff... it's almost sorta like a game!

echinopsis posted:

is the game called space clock

I'm still calling it Cosmosporia but I also thought of Extraordinary Orbitals, which sounds cool but I'm not sure it encompasses the scale of setting I want to get to eventually

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Airbourne Clock

(no offense intended lol)

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
This one is arguably a clock as well, but is far crazier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHaCQ8Ul6E

e: lookit it go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDHtJy9cpC0

quadpus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 25, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

cool videos :)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'd play Space Clock Calibrator

(ooooh, or Space Clock COLLECTOR)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone make a game called time clock tia

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Spacebourne Clock

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
ive started yet another game, basically Thrust with a better physics engine

the physics engine is working and decent (although it doesn't handle friction yet) and its kinda fun to fly about but ridiculously difficult, I might have to add some sort of stabilisation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6V2G1CiQU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I love you

rod rocket was inspired by something similar. I’ve spent a lot of time doing my best to make the whole thing quite controllable, as in tuned centre of gravity and played with different approaches toward turning the ship etc so its predictable and and you can fly it really well if you get good

I wanted to recreate it in browser so people didn’t have to download a 300mb ue5 game just to see what I did

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I added rotational damping so turning the ship didn’t leave it with too much rotational momentum because that made it hard to judge how far to turn to do whatever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i hope it's a slider so you can set your rocket ship to the spin cycle

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I think I added rotational damping so turning the ship didn’t leave it with too much rotational momentum because that made it hard to judge how far to turn to do whatever
yeah maybe damping is right way to go, just got to get balance of twitchy vs sluggish right

ive got picking up/dropping off cargo working, added a couple sprites, and made it so you can fire boosters with different amounts of thrust which makes it way easier (but still ludicrously difficult)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKVLdvmd3rU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s it coded in?

yeah the balance is hard. and lol having a dangling weight is sure gonna make it harder?

how’d you do the extra thrust? I had normal amount and then hold shift for extra

if you can bothered, here’s a download link to download my game, idk might be interesting to see where I ended up with it

https://mega.nz/file/bVJVFA4L#dFjHjDwVlVSu7uqhTZalPvYF7PxlXR7ueSgnsrGeYF4

yes its a 1 gb file. idk how to make it smaller

hadnt played for a while. immediate thought was it is twitchy.. but I quickly got used to it, and there is less damping than I remembered. too much almost feels a bit wrong though. idk.

I personally find it not too bad to fly around. I think a lot of others may not

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 28, 2024

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

what’s it coded in?
Swift and SpriteKit, but all I use SpriteKit for is the sprites and 60hz game loop. SK has a built in physics engine but there's no fun in using that

quote:

yeah the balance is hard. and lol having a dangling weight is sure gonna make it harder?
yeah this is the bit that's super annoying, the big physics-driven stuff is what makes it interesting, but it also makes it hard as balls, perhaps too hard

How far did you get with Red Rocket? What about Crime Committer? I got bored of Geezer Simulator once I realised it wasn't really much fun to play, even though the procgen aspects were funny a lot of the time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's kind of like the 3rd iteration of rod rocket lol, as in started from scratch 3 times

and im still sort of working on crime committer
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048208
I made a thread for it so I could spam it without it annoying people

root of all eval has offered to jump in and help for shits and giggles

I seem to have a decent amount of "fun" building the framework for the game, having a new idea, working out how to make it work and seeing how it works.. but then I just kinda run out of steam, when the next step is actual content. idk what it is.

cc could be broken down into 3 parts, the frontend - the actual game, the backend - trying to make it so people can basically have a profile and so they can come back later, and then the content itself.

I also thought about making a thruster game in the browser
https://rodtronics.github.io/rod_matters/
thats as far as I got lol

BUT the proof of concept of getting physics running in the browser is right there. I kind of accepted that if I ever wanted anyone to ever play one of these games I'd defo need to make it run in the browser

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

yeah this is the bit that's super annoying, the big physics-driven stuff is what makes it interesting, but it also makes it hard as balls, perhaps too hard

as the game progresses and you need to pick up heavier loads, well, that's an easy way to increase difficulty lol. start out virtually weightless

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I enjoyed working with pixi framework too. Felt very flash like with its class conventions. I don't think there is intrinsic physics but I'm sure there are plugins

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Stack Machine posted:

[Obsolete single logic gates with USB]

Finished my set today with a relay for that authentic telephone exchange feel.

It sounds like a sick cricket. I love it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh gently caress yeah. I love relays so much.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
in the most recent decker update i revisited grid widgets and made a lot of little improvements and generalizations like suppressing columns, permitting transparent backgrounds (so you can draw stuff behind them), a bunch of api improvements, and best of all a mode that lets you make selections cell-by-cell with appropriate keyboard navigation:

the dream of making little crud apps continues to bloom

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I use Decker to make crud interactive birthday cards I love, and send them to the people I like, so you do the lord's work afaict

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Caught a cold and couldn't lay in bed doing nothing, so I ended up recreating a piece of rare old hardware.

I have an old Compaq Portable II. This is a luggable 286 machine

Yes there are two of them there. I've got more fun plans for the other one.

Now there's only 640K of RAM on the motherboard, and no way to add more there.
The usual way to add more memory to machines of this era is on an ISA card. But since there are only 2 free ISA slots, and only one of those is actually 16-bit, something else would be much more desirable. It turns out Compaq supposedly made a special memory expansion board for it, that plugs in underneath the motherboard and could add up to 1.5MB. But after pretty thorough searching I could find no photos or any reference to someone ever owning one. So these are at least extremely rare, maybe even just vaporware that Compaq never actually produced.

According to the service manual, it would look something like this:

Now, this only shows four chips that aren't simple 256x1 DRAMs. As long as none of those four are programmable logic of some kind, there is actually some possibility I could reason out the schematic for this, by looking at the circuitry for bank 0 and bank 1 on the motherboard, and what signals are on the connector itself.

It quickly became obvious that U55 and U56 should be 74ALS245 transceivers to control access back and forth between the DRAMs and the ISA bus itself. U58 was probably a 74F32 which would be telling those transceivers when to turn on and off. U57 was a bit of a mystery.

On the connector, I easily located all the address and data lines that would hook up to all these in a relatively obvious way, as well as the two CAS lines which are shared between all the memory banks. It took quite a bit more time poking around but I also found what had to be the three different RAS lines that would go to each of the three banks on the board.

So already, I had a nearly complete circuit, maybe it would even work, as-is? But there was still the unknown chip U57 and half of U58 I couldn't account for, and at least three other signals on the connector that I didn't know the function of.

Then someone posted to my thread on the VCF forums, they actually had one of these boards, and sent photos!

Another collaborator stitched these together:

Over just a few whirlwind hours, we were able to pin down every last component and connection, and now there's a full schematic and faithful reproduction layout.

I'm sure it won't be long before one of them builds a board and tests it out/shows it off on their YouTube channel. I've got more work to do since I want to make a version that uses 30-pin SIMMs instead of individual DRAMs, for my machine.

quadpus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 24, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hot drat, that is some nice reverse engineering.

idk for sure, but how sensitive is it re: memory timings? i could see it having a hard time with random simms if it's expecting strict timings from the modules.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

compaqs of that era are fuckers because they make everything proprietary

i had a portable 386 with the orange gas plasma display. it used weird 42-pin SIMMs for RAM, and had four sockets. two provided the base 1MB, and you could fit another two to take you up to 2MB. but then beyond 2MB you had to fit an adaptor board that was really just an extension to add two expansion slots into an unused corner of the case, and then into that you could plug two 4MB RAM boards, except the 4MB boards were both different for no reason.

so to max it out at 10MB you needed:
2x 42-pin SIMMs
1x expansion slot adaptor
1x 4MB RAM board (type 1)
1x 4MB RAM board (type 2)

all this was proprietary, impossible to find even pictures of, and in the rare cases they turned up on ebay the seller thought they were worth $$$ and would rather not sell them than drop the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
it’s supposed to use 150ns 256Kx1 DRAM chips, so if all else fails, simms that simply have those exact chips soldered on are not impossible to find