Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

does DJ Hyde realize that nobody actually cares about National Pro Wrestling Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

does DJ Hyde realize that nobody actually cares about National Pro Wrestling Day

DJ Hyde doesn't realize that nobody actually cares about DJ Hyde, much less NPWD.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Well Obama must've when he voted for it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

I'm sorry you don't like fun in such a way you have to project it through the guise of indie wrestling's current scarecrow.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I wrote a big article thing on the Death and Return of Chikara. Kind of a primer that explains the story via a who's who of everyone involved.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Breaking News regarding The 24/7 Hardcore Championship!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Remember when people were getting banned from the Chikara forum and we thought it might just be a really bad part of the angle?

Nope. Just Quack being petty.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

Remember when people were getting banned from the Chikara forum and we thought it might just be a really bad part of the angle?

He banned you because you're friends with Isys Ephex.

No, seriously, everybody. Literally The Worst works with him at a comic shop. I just found this out ten minutes ago.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

He banned you because you're friends with Isys Ephex.

No, seriously, everybody. Literally The Worst works with him at a comic shop. I just found this out ten minutes ago.

If being friends with a man who comes to the ring in dragon wings is wrong, I'm literally the worst wait poo poo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tell him I hate him and also that I love him

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Literally The Worst posted:

I like a good "Quack is a petty petty man" story. Tell me more.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gavok posted:

I wrote a big article thing on the Death and Return of Chikara. Kind of a primer that explains the story via a who's who of everyone involved.

Thanks for this. It's been awhile since I watched Chikara. (I have every show from Equnox 1 losing to Chris Hero to Quack and Jigsaw winni tthe tag titles from BDK) I need more goofy crazy wrestling in my life and it sounds like I missed out by not following this thing. (The diffrent Wrestling Is shows sound fun.)

It sucks I don't live in PA so I can see Chikara live regularly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skinty McEdger posted:

I like a good "Quack is a petty petty man" story. Tell me more.

When the last show ended people who posted on the Chikara 101 forums about how this might be cool for an angle but without the context of whatever's coming up, it looks really lovely, got banned for not fellating the genius of Quack. The prevailing theory was it's just part of the angle, Titor banning dissidents or whatever.

But nope my account is still banned.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
It's inconsistently petty too, cause I said p much the same thing and it was edited out by "chikarawmd" and then my summary of what I said was allowed to stand. :confused:

Anyhow, seconding the thanks to Gavok for the writeup. I followed things pretty closely and still appreciated the refresher, plus I sent it to a friend of mine who's starting to get into Chikara, too.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

The 24/7 Hardcore Title is now a World Title... maybe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So some random Chikara stuff:

- Second trailer for Ashes of Chikara. The only new pieces of footage in it are a shot of Hallowicked, a shot of the Flood bullying Private Eye Jr. and Archibald Peck stepping out of the Delorean.

- Ads for Ashes of Chikara have been showing up on the back of Dark Horse published comic books. That's pretty cool.

- Wrestling is Fun's Tag World Grand Prix is going to take place over the course of at least three shows. This weekend has eight teams competing while a show in early May will have the other eight compete.

- More 24/7 title updates.

- Two games have been released for smartphones. One is BlockenFighto, which is a puzzle game. It's a lot like the puzzle games that all the Chikarmy members have gotten over the years in that it has little to do with wrestling outside of using a bunch of pieces of Chikara wrestler art. The more you complete, the more you get to hear from UltraMantis as he searches for Delirious. The other game is Which Way, which is a choose-your-own adventure game where you play as Dasher, Fire Ant or UltraMantis. Haven't tried playing it yet, but it has some neat art.

- The upcoming Chicago show is sold out. You Only Live Twice, the return show in Easton, is still not sold out yet. Also, You Only Live Twice will officially be shown via iPPV. If you order it in April, you get 25% off. They said they're messing with the building's internet so it doesn't gently caress up like at NPWD.

- This is badass.

- Not a single match has been announced for anything Chikara. Yup.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm really not even a fan but I've poo poo on Quack so much in the past that I'm giving him my $12.99 because I think he's done a pretty brilliant job marketing this thing since NPWD. The angle interested me, the teaser visuals have been great, the month-long price deal is a good idea and he's making the effort to better the connection for the iPPV instead of falling back on the building as an excuse after the fact.

I still think the guy is a little weird, but he's proven a lot of my prior criticisms wrong thus far so I'm shelling out for this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just wait for the tweet that the guys they hired to do the internet were secretly with Titor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've played through all the paths for Dasher Hatfield on the choose-your-own-adventure app. It's silly fun. His story has to do with being sucked into a time rift with Los Ice Creams and the Devastation Corporation. If you follow Los Ice Creams, you end up in the old west where you have to help the sheriff bring them to justice. If you follow the Devastation Corporation, the timeline is all hosed up and major moments in wrestling history are altered. Like how Max Smashmaster is given the Shockmaster gimmick or how Gavin Loudspeaker throws Icarus through a barbershop window.

But the most inspired part is where Dasher ends up in a big arena and doesn't understand where and when he is. But he sees a big Countdown Showdown match going on in the ring and recognizes Claudio Castagnoli, Brodie Lee and "that Moxley fellow" in the mix. Also, the entire crowd is booing the hell out of him for some reason he can't figure out. The art for this page shows Dasher standing in front of a giant "30" graphic. You can either go compete or go backstage and run into Sara Del Rey.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

But the most inspired part is where Dasher ends up in a big arena and doesn't understand where and when he is. But he sees a big Countdown Showdown match going on in the ring and recognizes Claudio Castagnoli, Brodie Lee and "that Moxley fellow" in the mix.

I think you've just sold me on this app. I know what I'll be buying later.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I finished looking through the rest of Which Way, with the UltraMantis and Fire Ant paths being nowhere near as fun as Dasher Hatfield's time travel adventures. When you see every available path for one of the wrestlers, you unlock the ability to see a gallery. It features all the art used in the pages, some unused art and some character sketches.

Interestingly enough, the Fire Ant gallery ends with this.

So... another attempt at a game, I guess? Looks very Slam City.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
If I just bought a ticket to go see Chikara, who would I expect to see? What does the roster even look like? Will I get to see Jimmy Jacobs in a plague doctor mask?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Bard Maddox posted:

If I just bought a ticket to go see Chikara, who would I expect to see? What does the roster even look like? Will I get to see Jimmy Jacobs in a plague doctor mask?
The roster isn't full of indy darlings anymore, but a lot of the roster can still put on a good show. The whole roster is incredibly fan friendly and you can have great conversations with anyone there. It's a really fun-oriented environment most of the time.

They've been on hiatus so long it's hard to say what the roster will look like. The Ants, the Batiri, Ultramantis Black, and Icarus will probably be there at minimum.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Is Sugar Dunkerton still around? I want to see Sugar Dunkerton.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bard Maddox posted:

Doesn't seem to be, I believe he tweeted something about how he wasn't working for the company right now and the problem wasn't on his end.

No sign of Chuck Taylor either at PWD.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

Sugar Dunkerton is one of several former roster members that has confirmed he's not going to be coming back for a while. Others include Gran Akuma and Tim Donst.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I watched the first Wrestling is Fun Tag World Grand Prix show and man... what a mess. The entire show is sloppy as hell. Even when it's guys who should be great (ie. the 3.0 vs. Osirian Portal main event), they're just falling all over each other and loving up. Mr. Touchdown vs. De Coronado is the only decent match there and even the ending for that one is screwed up.

It is nice to see that Max Smashmaster has dropped about 50 pounds, even though he's constantly pulling up his pants. Plus Jervis Cottonbelly and his partner Marion Fontaine ride out on a tandem bike. That deserves style points.

In other news, the latest 24/7 title video killed me once I realized the punchline.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, CHIKARA has been posting some good matches on their YouTube channel. Today, they posted one of the best comedy matches ever from KOT 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47je7JgWBA

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Is this the source of the Titor storyline?

To be fair, I didn't really understand any of it. I just know it involves a guy named John Titor and time travel.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jubs posted:

Is this the source of the Titor storyline?

To be fair, I didn't really understand any of it. I just know it involves a guy named John Titor and time travel.
The only two people who understand any of this Chikara stuff are Mike Quackenbush and Gavok.

Wait, is Gavok Quackenbush?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Flameingblack posted:

The only two people who understand any of this Chikara stuff are Mike Quackenbush and Gavok.

Wait, is Gavok Quackenbush?

How dare you!

But anyway, John Titor was some internet thing from years ago where a guy claimed to be from the future and answered questions on forums. Some of the stuff was sort of true (I think he predicted mad cow) and it became quasi-believable to some, like getting a horoscope that is kind of accurate. By calling the company Titor Conglomerate, it just fanned the flames of there being crazy time travel poo poo going on in the Chikara story. Like fans speculating that Wink's father is really just him from the future.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I understand that he's having fun and he's earnest, but I really hate having to listen to Steve "The Turtle" Weiner. Match is fun, though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Saw this outside a building in Toronto, thought of you guys.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Another team confirmed for the 4-Corner Elimination Tag: GEKIDO's 17 & DeviANT.

Also, a trios match: Spectral Envoy vs BDK. No word on which members of the BDK it is; it's assumed on the 101 forum that it'll be Ares, knock-off Tursas Nøkken, and Milo Schnitzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Just realized this thread is still open.

Go use the new Chikara Pro And Friends thread that Gavok started.

Mods, you can close this thread.

• Locked thread