Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Coincidentally, "Nothing ends. Nothing ever ends," is a pretty big line from Watchmen, which Chikara's been referencing like crazy in the past year.

I was thinking the big launch/relaunch would be during National Pro Wrestling Day, but I could see that too.

You'd probably announce whatever you have planned at that event.

Or on a random twitter/youtube video, either or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

EugeneJ posted:

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking this is a ploy to stop running shows for 8 months to save the company money and then re-launch next spring for King of Trios. The ECW Arena should be reopened by then.

Plus it beefs up the various wrestling is... promotions in the meantime, which helps the territory-lite system and the promoters in the smaller indy feds that they work with.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Gavok posted:

Watchmen, which Chikara's been referencing like crazy in the past year.

So who's Doctor Manhattan?

MassRafTer posted:

Tiny penis.

Oh, that answers that one.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
So yesterday, Icarus apparently did another meet-up at the Blue Bottle Cafe, just down the street from the DGUSA show, to get more people to sign his petition.

Someone posted on Twitter that they saw a sign reading "Watch Me" with a QR code... that leads to an Icarus video.

https://twitter.com/KyoLocke/status/361591165906198528
https://twitter.com/KyoLocke/status/361702306980454400

When that guy got home, he uploaded the video to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6STzQAp1Zc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So what's the plan if no-one helps him?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

njsykora posted:

So what's the plan if no-one helps him?

I am IWA-MS?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got to the point where he introduces himself. I don't think anyone wants to watch Icarus cut a promo about whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I got to the point where he introduces himself. I don't think anyone wants to watch Icarus cut a promo about whatever.

I haven't seen Icarus in a while so I was kinda amazed that he managed to make his hair equally as offensive to look as as his back. Is his gimmick still that he's the (because there sure as hell aren't any others) massive Marty Janetty fan?

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

it turns out i am definitely not chikara

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I am Chikara, but I'm not feeling particularly proud about it these days. :smith:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

El Generico posted:

I am Chikara, but I'm not feeling particularly proud about it these days. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

njsykora posted:

I haven't seen Icarus in a while so I was kinda amazed that he managed to make his hair equally as offensive to look as as his back. Is his gimmick still that he's the (because there sure as hell aren't any others) massive Marty Janetty fan?

Yeah, though he shaved the jerkstache. But yes, that was part of his transformation to good guy in the last Chikara PPV. He even came out to face Kingston in a singlet that was Janetty inspired and was about to beat Kingston with a submission hold that (I am 99 percent sure) in kayfabe is only taught to the technicos.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

SirDippingSauce posted:

Yeah, though he shaved the jerkstache. But yes, that was part of his transformation to good guy in the last Chikara PPV. He even came out to face Kingston in a singlet that was Janetty inspired and was about to beat Kingston with a submission hold that (I am 99 percent sure) in kayfabe is only taught to the technicos.

He not only shaved the jerkstache, his Jannetty-esque tights covered up most of his back tattoo.

As for the submission hold, the Chikara Special, it had originally been taught only to tecnicos, but it was also leaked to the rudos back in 2007. Despite that leak, though, it's always been the "this guy is a tecnico!" trademark.

wcwchris
Jun 7, 2011
Could someone explain to me why rudos couldn't just watch the video and see how it's done?

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012

wcwchris posted:

Could someone explain to me why rudos couldn't just watch the video and see how it's done?

Why would a rudo watch something those loser tecnicos do? I mean, even though it's apparently really effective and super-secret, it's still a good guy move.

Good guys are dorks. You don't wanna get mixed up in that poo poo -- first, you learn secret submission moves. Next, you're shaking people's hands and being nice to kids. Slippery slope, man. Slippery slope.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012
I just never understood how the big secret "escape" that is at the center of everything in Chikara is just "kick the guy in the head with your free leg." No one could've figured that our on their own?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The CHIKARA Special story was fun at first, but after about 3 months it got really old, and Quack's character was the whiniest baby for caring someone taught it to the rudos.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Thread might be kinda irrelevant now that CHIKARA is pretty much dead for sure, but ASHES posted another vine of the ants ringing a doorbell:

http://seenive.com/u/961754907554234368

And whatever "Man Down" is, it premieres next Monday. Presumably another youtube video and not an event.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

OmegaBR posted:

Thread might be kinda irrelevant now that CHIKARA is pretty much dead for sure, but ASHES posted another vine of the ants ringing a doorbell:

That sentence is perfect.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

http://seenive.com/u/961754907554234368

And whatever "Man Down" is, it premieres next Monday. Presumably another youtube video and not an event.

The video is up. Apparently, Green Ant and Fire Ant go to Worker Ant's house looking for Soldier Ant. Worker Ant doesn't know where he is and gives Green Ant his old outfit telling him "you're the worker now". So, I guess Green Ant is getting a new gimmick?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Also, an interesting theory about the reformation of Russia came up on the 101 Forums.

quote:

The Baltic Siege are comprised of Estonian Thunderfrog, Latvian Proud Oak, and Lithuanian Snow Troll, the Baltic Circle in Europe.

The Invaders are comprised of The Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Mr. Azerbaijan, and The Brown Morning of Belarus.

This mysterious manager is named Martov Sicklemeier (sp?) and he has come out bearing little words, but many extensions of peace to not only Baltic Siege, but the Invaders, a team of Tecnicos, and a Team of seemingly more rudo esque characters,, trying to, even if they don't seem to get along, conjoin in a sort of Union...and then the Ace comes into play. Sicklemeier is from Russia, as shown by his Twitter pic being the Russian Flag.

Martov looks to be trying to reform the Soviet Union, or start the Soviet Union (Ill get to that later) with all of the European Wrestlers, himself, Russia, at the helm of all the other countries at his beck and call. However something to be taken into consideration here is that the Soviet Union was comprised of 15 countries...which means that the other European Stars we could see in CHIKARA could be from these countries:

Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Georgia, Armenia, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan

We may get all of these countries represented by wrestlers, we may not, but considering they've already got Azerbaijan represented, don't count any of those out.

One other factor which needs to be considered, is how there are numerous theories about time travel fluctuation between CHIKARA and Wrestling Is, how Devastation Corporation and Bakabella are seemingly from the Territory Era of Westling, Swamp Monster is from a different time, Oleg is from a distant past, Lance Steel is Young Lance Steel, who as banished back in time but is somehow back, how both he and Swamp Monster were seen in the Tag World Balcony when Archie was backfisted by Kingstin, Steel having the WiF Bannana for some reason, etc.etc.etc. The Soviet Union was formed in 1922, and lasted until.1991. Now the question is is this the formation of the Soviet Union or the reformation in wrestling form?

Whatever the case it appears that it may be an attempted reformation for the clue that the word Proletariat is specifically described in Boar of Moldovas name, and that Gavin specifically named the years Azerbaijan won Sexiest Guy in the 90's to today. And the word Proletariat is described as such, thank you Wikipedia:

The term proletariat is used in Marxist theory to name the social class that does not have ownership of the means of production and whose only means of subsistence is to sell their labour power for a wage or salary. Proletarians are wage-workers, while some refer to those who receive salaries as the salariat. For Marx, however, wage labor may involve getting a salary rather than a wage per se. Marxism sees the proletariat and bourgeoisie (capitalist class) as occupying conflicting positions, since workers automatically wish their wages to be as high as possible, while owners and their proxies wish for wages (costs) to be as low as possible.

This may mean that Boar of Moldova may already be on Sicklemeiers side with no problem, which means Azerbaijan and Belarus would seemingly follow suit. Thunderfrog, Snow Troll and Proud Oak don't seem to be ruling out the idea, however Thunderfrog at the latest Wrestling is Fun pointedly stated he doesn't trust The Polar Baron, Sicklemeiers nickname, as far as he can throw, and he throws far. Depending on if they can coincide, or more European Invaders join the fray, we may have a European War on our hands very soon.

Read more: http://chikara101.proboards.com/thread/4612/wrestling-soviet-union#ixzz2cR0bkm1L

I am not sure if I will like a wrestling fed made up of a dozen or so Russian wrestling gimmicks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DM Punk posted:

Also, an interesting theory about the reformation of Russia came up on the 101 Forums.

I am not sure if I will like a wrestling fed made up of a dozen or so Russian wrestling gimmicks.

NWA had like 30 guys of varying fame working under russian gimmicks during the 80s, so why not?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DM Punk posted:

There needs to be an Uzbeki one that the others are all prejudiced against. "Don't give him matches!"

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
And here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnDgW4lxFTw&feature=youtu.be&a

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
None of that was interesting.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MassRafTer posted:

None of that was interesting.

On the other hand, some ex-Chikara guys and WiWhatever guys have put together a 24/7 Championship, which has produced amusing results.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I am biased here, but the ex chikara talents are being able to be much more creative and entertaining without Quack looking over their shoulder on everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

On the other hand, some ex-Chikara guys and WiWhatever guys have put together a 24/7 Championship, which has produced amusing results.

I want to see hundreds of these.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I overheard that battle royale while outside the venue after the show. And I've eaten at that Steak and Shake. I can feel the indie cred building.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I'm already significantly more entertained by this than anything related to the Chikara reboot or whatever the gently caress Quack is trying to with those Ashes videos.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

NOw I remember hearing that Worker Ant left wrestling in real life to join the military... so I'm guessing that he's really in a wheelchair?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

SirDippingSauce posted:

NOw I remember hearing that Worker Ant left wrestling in real life to join the military... so I'm guessing that he's really in a wheelchair?
Probably not, since the kayfabe reason was also injury-related. (awful waffle on the concrete, IIRC)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Yeah, Chuck Taylor crippled him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZX-num5Ook

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wrestling is Fun! iPPV tonight. I might check it out if I'm not busy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wrestling is Fun! iPPV tonight. I might check it out if I'm not busy.

I figure I'll give it a look. I miss seeing Chikara guys actually doing stuff and not being cryptic for the sake of giving Quack a vacation.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I was busy, but hey, here's a quick 24/7 match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Some things of note for the iPPV so far:

- Jervis Cottenbelly's commentary is mesmerizing.

- There's a segment where Loudspeaker interviews some kids in the crowd and it's adorable as hell.

- I know assailANT was already known as the fat ant, but holy crap he's let himself go.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was busy, but hey, here's a quick 24/7 match.

FRIGHTMARE IS CHAMPION!! I expect the title to change hands at least 3 more times before the end of the night.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

FRIGHTMARE IS CHAMPION!! I expect the title to change hands at least 3 more times before the end of the night.

Almost there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That was a pretty fun show. The quality is starting to pick up, especially with guys like Thunderfrog and Oleg.

Of the new Invaders team, I have to say that Mr. Azerbaijan is my new favorite gimmick. He's basically an aging strongman bodybuilder from Europe. During the intro, Loudspeaker said something along the lines of, "He was Mr. Azerbaijan 1999! He was Mr. Azerbaijan 2000! He was Mr. Azerbaijan 2001! He was Mr. Azerbaijan 2002! He was not compete for the name of Mr. Azerbaijan in 2003 due to scandal! He was Mr. Azerbaijan 2004! He was Mr. Azerbaijan 2013! He is Mr. Azerbaijan!"

• Locked thread