Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Someone correct me, but I think a virtual network operates at 10gb speeds?

The VNICs will show "10Gbps" as the connection speed, but the actual transfer speed is limited by how fast the hardware can do a memory copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

^ yeah that

Agrikk posted:

Correct, but I believe it can go as fast as the CPU/Memory/Guest can process at.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I'm a bit lost/confused. Where is your datastore if you're relying entirely on a virtual network on the host?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This is my lab

It does basically everything I needed for the VCAP-DCA/VCP5/VCP5-DT(VDI)

AND MORE.

I may do a better to understand visio tonight when I get home, essentially you just hook it up to a virtual switch, like you would a physical switch and attach to it via IP

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Agrikk posted:

Last I checked, it was literally as fast as it could push data over the bus.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Ah that makes sense. I didn't even consider a virtual NAS.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Thinking about switching my home lab from iSCSI to NFS. Apparently NFS performance is significantly better on the Synology NASes.

I have to actually partition my network with VLANs to force traffic through a specific NIC/VMkernel then, which I don't have to do with iSCSI. :(

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Mellanox ConnectX-2 HBA - $190

Where did you buy this from?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

So, I'm thinking about doing the following:

2 of the servers are for home lab, the third one will be where I consolidate my current poo poo to for home entertainment, etc.

The 5 DP NICs, 1 for each server, 1 for my NAS, 1 for my backup NAS.

One thing I really want to test is iSCSI MPIO over Gig-E since it's likely something we're going to implement at work in the near future.

Any problems with it?

edit: and the mic you can ignore.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 27, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

IT Guy posted:

2 of the servers are for home lab, the third one will be where I consolidate my current poo poo to for home entertainment, etc.

One thing I really want to test is iSCSI MPIO over Gig-E since it's likely something we're going to implement at work in the near future.

Any problems with it?

You already have a managed switch, right?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

evol262 posted:

You already have a managed switch, right?

Yes. It's a lovely Dell 3348 but it'll do.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

IT Guy posted:

Yes. It's a lovely Dell 3348 but it'll do.

Not gigabit, is it?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

evol262 posted:

Not gigabit, is it?

Ah right, it isn't. I have a netgear smart switch that is gig-e though. I could use that. I really only need vlan for MPIO, right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

IT Guy posted:

Ah right, it isn't. I have a netgear smart switch that is gig-e though. I could use that. I really only need vlan for MPIO, right?

You'll probably want to segment off a storage VLAN with a larger MTU as well.

three
Aug 9, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Any problems with it?

Isn't that RAM relatively expensive? Although I guess if you're spending $2500 who cares, ha. The Shuttles are so nicely designed. I <3 mine.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

The cheaper ones were only $10 cheaper, didn't have free shipping and shipped from a third party.

Even Kingston is $150 for some reason.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd personally get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106267R

You'll get a fully featured xenon proc, 2more mb of L3 cache, and you can jam diffrent size DIMMs in and get the same dual-channel speed. Also you can step up to ECC ram. The only thing you don't get is hyper threading.

E: its not nearly as sexy as the shuttle, i'll give you that.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 28, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

incoherent posted:

I'd personally get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106267R

You'll get a fully featured xenon proc, 2more mb of L3 cache, and you can jam diffrent size DIMMs in and get the same dual-channel speed. Also you can step up to ECC ram. The only thing you don't get is hyper threading.

E: its not nearly as sexy as the shuttle, i'll give you that.

Only thing I'd note is that machine may run a bit louder if it was designed as a server than a Shuttle which is quiet as a mouse. No idea if true.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I pulled the trigger on it. Went with the Shuttles due to the smaller form factor. But thanks for the suggestion.

three
Aug 9, 2007

IT Guy posted:

I pulled the trigger on it. Went with the Shuttles due to the smaller form factor. But thanks for the suggestion.

Baller setup. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Heads up, the on-board NIC doesn't work with ESXi 5.5. VMware removed it. :(

However, there is a fix: http://www.bussink.ch/?p=1228

three fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 29, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

three posted:

Baller setup. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Heads up, the on-board NIC doesn't work with ESXi 5.5. VMware removed it. :(

However, there is a fix: http://www.bussink.ch/?p=1228

I actually ordered the Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter with them.

Also, a heads up to anyone that wants to buy those from Amazon, they don't come with low profile brackets, but I emailed the seller (AMTECH) and they threw them in for $10 each (I only needed 2).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Why dual instead of quad port? Quad is the default when I order a GbE network card for a server

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Quad is a bit overkill for testing machines. Very nice to have but its like 200 bucks for the bare bones one. If you dig hard you might be come up with an older version on the cheap, but it be PCI.

Also that card was 76% off. Open box or not :stare:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 30, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

luminalflux posted:

Why dual instead of quad port? Quad is the default when I order a GbE network card for a server

You can get really cheap Intel dual-port NICs that are super compatible with VMware; quad-port NICs tend to be more than 2x (sometimes as high as 5x) expensive.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Are there 10gbase-t nics that don't cost $500 out yet? I kind of want to use a few to make a tiny home data center to test out my work stuff

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've found that getting a switch for less than like 10 grand is the bigger impediment to dicking around with 10Gb. Looks like Netgear makes an 8 porter for ~$1k but that's more than I'm willing to spend on one piece of gear for the home lab.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Unless you're running performance simulations in your lab on hardware that's nearly identical to the production hardware, is there anything you can't do conceptually with GigE that you can with 10GigE?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Man I need to make sure HA VMs running AdventureWorks DBs and Resilient Exchange instances can withstand my simulations!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Malcolm XML posted:

Are there 10gbase-t nics that don't cost $500 out yet? I kind of want to use a few to make a tiny home data center to test out my work stuff

What do you need 10Gb for? Genuinely curious.

You could always switch in ram with the VMXnet at +/- 10Gb/s depending on the HW backing it. Is 125MB/s not enough? You can look into some cheap rear end 4Gb/s FC HP HBA's and switches for fairly cheap.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

What do you need 10Gb for? Genuinely curious.

You could always switch in ram with the VMXnet at +/- 10Gb/s depending on the HW backing it. Is 125MB/s not enough? You can look into some cheap rear end 4Gb/s FC HP HBA's and switches for fairly cheap.

Oh I didn't know you could do this.

Can hyperv do this too? I just wanna see how our Hadoop implementation works over a network without buying a shitload of servers or anything

incoherent posted:

Man I need to make sure HA VMs running AdventureWorks DBs and Resilient Exchange instances can withstand my simulations!

:supaburn:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I wasn't joking when I mentioned IPoIB. You can get a 24 port 10gb Infiniband switch, HBAs, and cables for less than an 8port 10GE switch.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Anyone here been successful in setting up a client/server configuration for GNS3? Trying to get something setup for the junior guys at work, without them having to run GNS3 on their work desktop or use RDP/VNC to a server in the lab. I am going based off this documentation: http://www.gns3.net/documentation/gns3/client-server-and-multi-server-mode/

My assumption / build for them has been a beefy RHEL6 box in the datacenter that has all the images loaded up and they should be able to just launch the GNS3 gui locally and connect, but I am not sure if I am missing something.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions on getting a cheap enclosure or rack to use for my home lab? I want to be able to mount some cisco gear and my dell cs24-ty and my low power file server? I was also going to build or buy another server to use as a NAS and I want to complete the rack with a rack mounted UPS. I just am trying to avoid spending a ton of money on a rack or enclosure and I am not even sure what kind I need.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Stealthgerbil posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on getting a cheap enclosure or rack to use for my home lab? I want to be able to mount some cisco gear and my dell cs24-ty and my low power file server? I was also going to build or buy another server to use as a NAS and I want to complete the rack with a rack mounted UPS. I just am trying to avoid spending a ton of money on a rack or enclosure and I am not even sure what kind I need.

If it's all standard rack width gear, Google for "ikea lack rack". Doesn't get cheaper than that :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really have any suggestions for buying one, but if you live near a university I would make some inquiries. They're always throwing out 19" racks of various sizes at the U where I worked. I've got a few racks in reserve just because I claimed them when I found them on the loading dock.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Find your closest computer recycler, and if you don't know who that is, contact your local government and ask who handles e-waste.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

evol262 posted:

I wasn't joking when I mentioned IPoIB. You can get a 24 port 10gb Infiniband switch, HBAs, and cables for less than an 8port 10GE switch.

I'm not at all familiar with infiniband offerings. Mind linking example products that you'd suggest?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Comradephate posted:

I'm not at all familiar with infiniband offerings. Mind linking example products that you'd suggest?

Go on eBay. Look for Mellanox HCAs (QLogic HCAs are also fine), CX4 cables, and an infiniband switch (QLogic, Mellanox, maybe Topspin or Cisco). Any PCIe HCA you see should be at least 10gb. You can get 10gb (8gb effectively, because it probably won't be FDR) for ~$25, and dual-port HCAs for $40. 10gb is old hat in the Infiniband world. It's actually that simple.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Am I stupid for wanting a Dell C6100? I feel like out of all the cheap servers, for a home lab you really cant beat it when you can get one for as cheap as $650. It gives you the option of using 1-4 nodes which would be really helpful and they are decently powerful. The only downside for me is the power usage, I heard it uses 300-600 watts depending on load. I am almost tempted to buy one and colocate it with one of those bargain places and they said I could include a switch as long as it is under 4ul. However I am pretty sure that it would use more then 2amps on a 208v line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Stealthgerbil posted:

Am I stupid for wanting a Dell C6100? I feel like out of all the cheap servers, for a home lab you really cant beat it when you can get one for as cheap as $650. It gives you the option of using 1-4 nodes which would be really helpful and they are decently powerful. The only downside for me is the power usage, I heard it uses 300-600 watts depending on load. I am almost tempted to buy one and colocate it with one of those bargain places and they said I could include a switch as long as it is under 4ul. However I am pretty sure that it would use more then 2amps on a 208v line.

It's a 65-80 dba server that draws an amp or more, and you can build two brand-new 8 core nodes with 16GB of memory each for the same price. If the caveats of the C6100 (noisy as all get out, draws power like mad, 5 year old CPUs) don't bother you, you'll have a hard time beating it for the price.

If you want something you can run at home, I'd advise building cheap Zambezi boxes. But this is probably the fifth time I've said this in this thread and not everyone agrees. It may make sense for you if you can live with the drawbacks.

• Locked thread